Earth is Online by Flying Lines?!

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Anra7777, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    So, Flying Lines. I’m grateful that they’ve been picking up dropped translations, even if their translations (the ones I’ve seen, at least) have a lot of problems grammatically, at least it isn’t as bad as unedited MTL.

What puzzles me, however, is that they’ve just released chapter 1 of “The Earth is Online,” a novel which has already been completely translated by the much better translator RainbowTurtle.

Does anyone know why they’re re-translating EO? Is there a way to contact them to stop? (I don’t have an account and have no plans to get one.)

I keep novels on my completed list able to show up on my favorites, just in case extras come out. I’m not looking forward to having to ignore EO every time a “new” chapter gets released.

2. Sheri_Yui_Chan

Sheri_Yui_Chan Fighting my final semester battles ⚔

Reading List:
    Link
    I checked it and it seems to be the same novel except I think they are actually translating it as only 1 chapter is updated and the translator's name is also given.

3. Airisu

Airisu Where is my daily GL

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw it too... and apparently it’s not the only already finished novel they started to post. Even Hua hua Yao Long is already fully translated but they posted it in their site.
    I kinda doubt this is a coincidence at this point

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    An Anime Addict and Anra7777 like this.
  4. bgta

bgta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I was wondering about the same thing. Why would they translate fully translated novel (with already good quality)? Better improve some of their own translations.:blobReach:

Edit: I checked Hua Hua You Long translation. And it's exactly the same with the other translation. Are they stealing the translation?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Lurking and Anra7777 like this.
  5. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    If they stole it, you can report the link to have it taken down yo.

AMissingLinguist and caslie like this.
  6. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was about to make a thread for this topic, good thing I see yours.
    Are they trying to make money coming from an already translated novel? That's dumb. Or maybe I'm dumb.
    I'm all in if they do take advantage of hiatus novels, hope they know what they're doing.
    They maybe stealing the translated ones as @Solus said.

Solus and Airisu like this.
  7. bgta

bgta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it's not listed in NU, but it's in their website.

@Devon I believe the earth is online is retranslated. Hua Hua You Long on the other hand, is stolen. Even the number of ! are the same...

Devon and Lurking like this.
  8. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    If like that, there's nothing we can do _(;3/
    Except to spread the news that Flying Lines is despicable :v

But that is after it's confirmed that the original translator didn't join Flying Lines and moving his/her content to the site :0

Devon likes this.
  9. bgta

bgta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hua Hua You Long was translated by 3 different translators. And the name of the translator are different. So... How to confirm?

10. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    Good question, they only copied from one translator or all 3?
    Sorry I didn't went to check (as i don't read HHYL).

11. bgta

bgta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is, the chopped the translation and released it a part a day. I think so far they are still on the part that was translated by the first translator. And it was an old translation, dated back on 2012.

Solus likes this.
  12. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    That sucked. That Fayola translator (can we still call a thief a translator?) really have the nerve to stamp her name on the stolen translation. Well, unless someone could contact the original translator, there's nothing we could do :0

Just don't read from Flying Lines lo

Lurking and bgta like this.
  13. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the first step should be determining whether she really was or not the original translator of the series. With that said though, it takes a lot of guts and thick skin to be able to claim ownership of the translation considering both her picture and name was shown.

I haven't read anything from Flying Lines so I'm not sure if it's like the new webnovel where they get benefits from posting translations but if possible, someone should try contacting flying lines to ask the legitimacy of that translation.

I definitely kind of agree that re-translating completed stories is shady (especially those of really good quality. I mean aside from getting more ad revenues and traffic, what's the point of retranslating??) but let's not judge without having all the facts gathered first.

Airisu and Anra7777 like this.
  14. bgta

bgta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really read from them either. I tend to avoid groups with paywall, plus, Flying-lines translation quality is just, not so good.

Regarding the reason of retranslating, I can't say for sure, but there's this option of voting and giving gift on their site. So maybe, like in Webnovel, the translator in Flying lines got payed based on that?

I already emailed them, tho, like I doubt I'll get anything back.
    I leaned more on stolen translation since they copied the * for the footnotes, but there is no footnotes at all in the translation in Flying lines.

Edit: I actually got a reply. And, yes the translator stole the translation, but flying line is taking it down after my email. A bit of respect for them.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  15. Airisu

Airisu Where is my daily GL

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be pretty bad if they started stealing translations… I mean, the doubt is legit, but we can't know for sure till we ask the original "copied" translators.
    It seems, tho, pretty shady. I thought too that they may retranslate a finished novel to get more traffic on their website, and so more money (because there is a paywall system there, if I'm not wrong they translate faster the novels that get more donations, that means, money).

Well, I hope someone can make light on this situation, before starting to judge.

16. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony @Westeller @LaDyViL

Other mods too?

There something donw

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  17. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link

Flying lines is no different than unedited MTL. If there was editing, it wasn't done by an english speaker.

Ai chan and Anra7777 like this.
  18. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree that the editing wasn’t done by an English speaker, but I find it more readable than unedited or even slightly edited MTL, so I assume there’s some editing. There are stories with edited MTL that I find less readable than Flying Lines. But we could be reading different things, and what you’re reading really is unedited MTL.

Airisu likes this.
  19. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if you tag me, I'm going to need more to go on. As far as I can tell, Flying Lines is just retranslating an already translated novel, and while that may seem incredibly strange and like a tremendous waste of time, it's definitely not against NU's policies for release listing. I'm seeing a couple of posts here about the translation being stolen, but I did compare it to the existing Rainbow Turtle translation and they're wildly different. Unless someone has something more to say, there's nothing for me to do here.

asriu, kenar, Lurking and 2 others like this.
  20. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    It wasn’t EO that was talked about being stolen, but a novel called Hua Hua You Long?

Solus and Lurking like this.