Looking for Work English Editor and proofreader without experience

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by avatarivn, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Ashley123

Ashley123 Your senior

Reading List:
    Link
    Key word here, “actively”. It’s been so long that some are asking me if the novel is dropped... so better not mention it :notlikeblob:

2. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Try, learn, double check, and make improvement

3. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m referring to the fact that there is no apostrophe in the “it’s” in OP’s post. That has nothing to do with Japan or stuttering. I see you added the apostrophe, so I can assume you didn’t copy and paste nor read OP’s post carefully, but understand the difference between the possessive “its” and the contraction “it’s.” Or your autocorrect helped. But, yeah, it’s vs. its is basic grammar. It’s something OP should have corrected by now, if his grammar is indeed good.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Yukki576 likes this.
  4. avatarivn

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this "reddit vanilla"? I was totally destroyed here. LOL

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the first question. I can help editing a translated novel, but unfortunately I have zero knowledge of Japanese and the only help I can provide is making a translation easier to read for English speakers.

About the introduction, here is my proposal:
    "This is the story of Shiro, a 12 year old girl who wished to travel around the world, only to find an untimely death. When she wakes up, she finds herself in what seems to be another world, and her body has been changed to that of a Catkin. Recalling literature of her previous life about people in similar situations and her desire for adventure, she tries to make a place for herself in this new world. However, reality is far crueler than she would have imagined. Even with the advantages of an OP character, Shiro finds things quickly falling apart despite how hard she tries. Thus she seeks more and more power not only to survive, but to protect what is important to her.

Unbeknownst to Shiro, within her lies a primordial time power from an ancient era. A power so vast it can bring the whole world to its knees. This ancient power can easily be unlocked with just a sentence, one which shall never be spoken. Instead, Shiro will embark on a journey to gain a different kind of power as she moves forward in this unknown world.
    "

If you ask me what I did, I just tried to make the translated text a bit easier to read. I know its a matter of opinions though. At least I hope grammar is acceptable.

Thanks for the suggestion, will give them a shot as well. I have read plenty of Light Novels and Manga, but I had never wrote anything and I have no Photoshop skills so I can use any experience I can get.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  5. avatarivn

Reading List:
    Link
    My bad :blobjoy:
    Yaoi is on the "non-negotiable" list. Nothing personal and best of luck finding a good editor/proofreader.

Ashley123 likes this.
  6. avatarivn

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to admit, I had no idea about that one. I will keep it in mind for future references.

7. crimsonwolf8439

crimsonwolf8439 My generation has come and gone...

Reading List:
    Link
    There are numerous online resources which you may perhaps wish to study to improve yourself, even if only by a bit. Good luck.

Anra7777 likes this.
  8. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    ... ... ... I updated my status with the rule of thumb and put examples in a comment, if you wish to see it.

9. Danthefanokaku

Danthefanokaku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I thought I had copied and pasted it (but by typing it out not by using any specialized software that would do that exact job for me), but clearly I didn’t lol I thought the OP had “it’s” as the first word, but clearly I overlooked the apostrophe or I just put it there automatically when I read OP’s post

10. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Original novels are webnovels written originally in english, not translated.

I did some comments behind the spoiler:
    About the introduction, here is my proposal:
    "This is the story of Shiro, a 12 year old girl who wished to travel around the world, only to find an untimely death.
    - 12-year-old since noun is after
    - find an untimely death sounds weird

When she wakes up, she finds herself in what seems to be another world, and her body has been changed to that of a Catkin.
    - find is used in previous sentence and can sound
    repetitive
    - you just tense switched from past tense to present tense in last sentence and now you tense switch back to past tense in the next sentence?

Recalling literature of her previous life about people in similar situations and her desire for adventure, she tries to make a place for herself in this new world. However, reality is far crueler than she would have imagined. Even with the advantages of an OP character, Shiro finds things quickly falling apart despite how hard she tries.
    - Some meanings were changed, but it isn't your fault since you aren't familiar with the content
    - OP should have been changed to overpowered
    - You are back to present tense?

Thus she seeks more and more power not only to survive, but to protect what is important to her.
    - needs commas

Unbeknownst to Shiro, within her lies a primordial time power from an ancient era.
    - meaning was changed, nothing in the sentence hints at time powers

A power so vast it can bring the whole world to its knees.
    - needs commas

This ancient power can easily be unlocked with just a sentence, one which shall never be spoken. Instead, Shiro will embark on a journey to gain a different kind of power as she moves forward in this unknown world.
    "
    - some meaning was changed. The different path was kind of important.

11. avatarivn

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, guess I struggled with the tenses and the commas a little too much. I was trying to make it sound more like something an English speaker would have written (or at least, like some WN I have read before) and I ended up changing the meaning of some phrases.

12. Cuddles0_0

Cuddles0_0 (>^∆^)> Xtra Whipped Cream Translations <(^∆^<)

Reading List:
    Link
    Lolol which one is ittttt?

Ashley123 likes this.
  13. Junweizhu

Junweizhu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why some of us need proofreaders too.

14. Serra

Serra 『plumie's grandson~』

Reading List:
    Link
    https://goo.gl/forms/RpQWonRvPvO2ncxf1

Give it a shot.