Discussion Ever heard of Net Neutrality?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Midori, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Raphael

Raphael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It fall's into net neutrality, as providers cannot freely give user information regardless of crime. At the moment did you know that germany has a task force or is making one in charge of persecuting people who post "hate speech" on social media platforms? They are actually persecuting people for having dissenting opinions, all labeling all such dissent as hate speech.

2. Raphael

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a somewhat political theme, as it ties in to a lot of ideas from all sides of the spectrum.

3. doomeye1337

doomeye1337 /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Incubator, the messenger of magic~

Reading List:
    Link
    you can't blame them for having a phobia about things that remind them that people associate them with Hitler *shrug* Obvious overreaction is overreaction, but it takes societies much longer to get over these identity problems than individuals. You can't be so black and white about these things because ideals when forced on reality often cause societal friction harsh enough to end some lives~

4. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Dank Memeology on fb? I don't think that's funny at all, there are much better non mainstream memes out there.

5. Raphael

Reading List:
    Link
    Wish we had a forum here where we could freely discuss these things with other fellow NUF users who have political stuff to say, and want to discuss it with other people who read WN's, regardless rules are rules so I'll keep mine opinions to myself. D=

6. Midori

Midori Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you're swaying into political zone, come back to purely about the internet service providers, aye?
    though yeah, i agree that it should remain a free area.
    ah, what you say does make sense. it's like how when you buy certain phones, there are auto-installed apps. it doesn't affect that you can download other apps, it's just there, huh?

7. doomeye1337

Reading List:
    Link
    why don't you post some then, tough guy? ;p

8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Bundling spotify membership is not against net neutrality. Now if the provider were to give priority packet access to spotify or throttle spotify's competition, that would be against it. But as long as they don't do that, bundling services is fine.

That is not within the scope of net neutrality, that is within the scope of privacy rights.

9. doomeye1337

Reading List:
    Link
    you can start a conversation about these things *shrug* that's what DG did b4 he got banned a 2nd time and quit.

10. Midori

Midori Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well, you can do that through private messaging, where everyone else agrees to it.

11. TheUnbreakablePlotArmor

TheUnbreakablePlotArmor Mt.Tai cannot see me, as you cannot see Mt.tai

Reading List:
    Link
    as a dank memer, i approve that fb memes are not funny.

ZhaWarudo likes this.
  12. Raphael

Reading List:
    Link
    I still have other stuff I like to talk about here so I'd rather not risk it and break the rules.
    It's not quite the same.

13. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    wasn't that something like how internet service providers aren't allowed to throttle your connection based on your activity if they happen to dislike one service or another, or it's taking up too much bandwidth (despite you paying for said speed)? so if they've got a problem with netflix, they can slow your connection down a bit to make it a living hell so as to push you to use hulu, who they're affiliated with.

i think the original issue was something like verizon was fucking with people, got caught, and made a scene, so they had to add an amendment to some law to properly enforce things, but now that there's a verizon lackey in charge of things, he's like "this hurts businesses and not only has it never actually been done *cough*, we REALLY promise not to abuse it in the future, should we be given the freedom to screw with your connection speed. by the way, have you seen my mug? it's huge!"

they still pull that sort of fuckery where i am, saying shit like "that's only your peak speed. during busy hours, you'll probably be lucky to get half what you're paying for." or blame their old systems, which they were supposed to be upgrading but decided not to because it's too expensive to try giving customers decent, reliable service. they (ISPs) have also been working towards shutting down and banning people from laying the groundwork/cables to provide said service and compete with them.

14. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    Challenge accepted :
    http://gifspace.net/image/YXlA7
    https://media.giphy.com/media/xUPGcfBGgpGBMakeHu/giphy.gif
    https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=6c7e9744677c9445ba86aa847c06ccc8&oe=59CBC7EE
    https://external-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...0f.600x.gif&ext=gif&_nc_hash=AQBROBNrhV5ymWsE
    http://s.mlv-cdn.com/img/972909b982596c773daec8628f3af65c.600x.gif

I'm not really looking at a lot of memes, this is basically all I have in a long while, I think it's from Jhonny Meme

15. doomeye1337

Reading List:
    Link
    what midori meant is what I meant. Conversations are the PMs of NUF <.<;; before his ban, DG was going around making conversations about controversial topics and inviting people he knew were chill to them.

lol very grassroots of you :p find one that correlates to the thread though XD we're derailing ~

16. Midori

Midori Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yup! it's pretty much about that, yeah.

17. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't care much about net neutrality. Whether or not it passes is not really my concern, as long as the ISPs use the newfound money source to make their network better.

18. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The original issue started with comcast and other providers throttling netflix. The FCC then passed net neutrality rules.

Verizon thought they were being smart so they went to court to challenge said rules and won, having them repealed. Unfortunately it wasn't so simple.

The judge told the FCC this: Currently, you do not have the power to pass net neutrality rules. BUT, if you reclassify providers under Title II, you will have that power.

So the FCC was like ok, and reclassified the providers under Title II then passed net neutrality rules.

Effectively, Verizon who thought they were being smart shot themselves in the foot. Because not only were they forced into those same net neutrality rules, they were also forced under Title II which is even worse for them.

19. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't, won't, to me Dank Memeology is just a step beneath Filthy Frank and his team, sure they're different, and mostly not funny, they just do stupid and weird shit for the views. While stupid and weird can be funny, it's not if you overdo it or do it intentionally in some cases. People used to laugh on youtube on someone... I don't know slipping up, now for people to laugh they have to catupult themsleves and break an arm or something.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  20. ABMAINA

ABMAINA ★☆☆☆☆

Reading List:
    Link
    I have heard of Net Neutrality before online and from what little I could gather on reddit threads through my sparse vocabulary (too much technical terms whew) and a CGP grey video, is that Net Neutrality is basically a law that makes it so that all data is treated equal, meaning no 1 website gets preferenced over another which is good right? Internet providers who wanna get rid of that could lead to all sorts of things like them slowing down access to certain sites and making you pay for a premiuim "fast route" which in reality was the old service you used to have and how they could use it to crush competitors which wouldn't be so good for customers of said competitors. So an internet not being goverened by Net Neutrality is a pretty unpleasant reality to think about...