Excel: Transpose when dragging?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Fi, Jul 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Fi

Fi Chosen One

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there a way to move the cell referenced down when I drag to the right or vice versa? Like when I drag the cell with the formula "=C6" to the right, I want to increase the number count into "=C7" instead of "=D6".

2. Michi

Michi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tryed manually write 3-4 cells select all them and drag right? not sure it work but worth the try

3. Fi

Fi Chosen One

Reading List:
    Link
    yes, I have. my hand hurts because of the uncomfortable shift location, so I want to write less (and invest in better keyboard, but that's not achievable right now). there should be a smarter solution than manually doing this. currently learning about offset, which may or may not applicable to my formula (so far failed though, the logic of offset and transposing the cell eludes me).

4. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    Make the drag in a cllumn and you will get the c7->c8 that you want, select cell copy or cut and paste speciall with transpose option to makeit a row

5. Fi

Fi Chosen One

Reading List:
    Link
    for example:
    =sumif(C$2:C$10,1,X$2:X$10)
    when I drag it down, I need the C to become D. and when I drag it right, X change to Y. so while I can transpose the column using paste -> transpose, it is quite useless for me.

It is true that I can make a cross tabulation using pivot table. Though in this data, I choose not to as the data is too messy.

6. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    You have 2 choice
    See if # of rows or colunms is smaller and manually prepare the first term of all and then drag

Make intermedary table to make the data align with the drag