Fanfiction?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by TypeFantasyHeart, Nov 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since when were fanfiction added to the site?, i was looking for novels to read and POOF! i find that fanfictions are a thing now...
    Why im asking this? Because 99% of the fanfictions are dropped sooner or later and cannot be compared to a proper novel, except 1% of them.

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    There have always been translated fanfictions on this site as far as I can tell. And none of the other stuff on here is really any more stable in terms of getting finished, since a lot of that is also dropped by the author in a fairly consistent manner.

Westeller and Vanidor like this.
  3. I Ship anything cute

I Ship anything cute [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    knew they existed cause of this long harry potter fanfic that popped up while i was looking for something new to read, i´m a little scared to read it but intrigued

4. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that out of the "proper novels" I've read on this sight, I've probably read less than 1% to completion, too, though :blobpeek:

5. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as it's been originally released in an Asian language and translated into English, it can be added here.
    TBH, there's less than I thought. Only 4 pages with Fanfic tag in Series Finder.

But to answer your question: since 4 years ago.

c.decora likes this.
  6. TypeFantasyHeart

Reading List:
    Link
    Really?... Guess its fine, but a rule must be applied that the FF must be at least complete, since otherwise readers will suffer becasue 99% fanfic are dropped at some point.

You must consider that its because tranlsations are not done, but those novels are complete or ongoing in a constant manner and the probability of them dropping the novel is a lot lower than a mere FF:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2020
  7. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, but my point is that whether the novel will be given a proper ending or not is irrelevant to me, since I hardly ever finish them either way

8. Grandpa_World

Grandpa_World Manly Man-Mob Character C-Lovely Hubby of Alexcia

Reading List:
    Link
    I do read a harry potter fanfic which is called "A Bend in time". Can recommend it, its quite good I find.

I Ship anything cute likes this.
  9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Several of my favorite novels have been dropped by the author, or axed by their platform/gov't. :blobsob:

If it helps, go look at some of the english webnovel sites. RRL. Scribble Hub. Wattpad. See how many of those novels have been dropped. See how many authors have just vanished.

Original or fanfic, novels are dropped all the time. Here, and overseas. It's all the same.

AliceShiki likes this.
  10. TypeFantasyHeart

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a difference between (Several drop them: True Authors) and Fanfic authors (Almost all of them drop them)

11. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Nobody's forcing the translators or you into picking/reading these novels.

~~
    According to your logic - who should I complain to to stop real novelists from dying before finishing their series?

12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More like "almost all of them drop them" for both.

In either case, we're talking about webnovels here. We're talking about novels that are written serially, over months and years. As time passes, things change. Life happens. Or the author just doesn't know where to take the story anymore. Whatever. There are countless reasons for it, but a hell of a lot of webnovel authors drop their novels.

Originals or fanfics, it doesn't matter. It's just a trait of the medium.

If it seems to you like original authors don't drop their novels as often, I'm guessing two things are going on: you don't read many - or any - english originals, and the novels picked for translation (which are an impossibly small minority of standouts) tend to be completed, or are most likely to be completed, and aren't giving you an accurate representation of non-english originals. ... Ironically, this would also apply to non-english fanfics being translated.

13. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's absurd. Quite a number of novels listed on NU aren't completed, either ongoing or stopped due to some reasons. Remember, while the site is called Novel Updates, it actually is a directory for novel translations. It just so happens that the material being translated is a fanfiction.

If it bothers you, use the release filtering feature to filter fanfiction tags. The feature is there for a reason.

If it bothers you that more and more fanfiction are being translated, then get translators to translate originals instead. Until then, use that filter.

AliceShiki likes this.
  14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    No no, Dyvil-chan, nobody would hear an entitled reader like this one~

This is when you should tell them to become a translator themselves instead! ^^)/

LaDyViL likes this.
  15. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, okay.
    Become a Translator then. Re-populate NU with original novels translations. Oh, and completely translate those novels too.

AliceShiki likes this.
  16. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean that chinese harry potter story??
    I’ve also been curious about it, but I tend to stay away from chinese works

I Ship anything cute likes this.
  17. Morhamza1

Morhamza1 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, fanfictions are just as safe as proper novels, in that they both get dropped consistently lol. There was one novel I was reading that got licensed and the translator couldn't continue on. So, for various reasons there are more novels here that are never completed than those that are.

18. Nepagear

Nepagear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if you wanna read a fanfic, look for the mtl first to check if it's already completed mtl'ed, so that you can jump from it if the translator dropped it...urgh just get my point I'm not that great at english