Question Fanservice paradox, be honest

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by BooklessBookworm, Dec 27, 2021.

1. BooklessBookworm

BooklessBookworm Sensible Little Sister ꒰ঌ(⃔ ⌯' '⌯)⃕໒꒱

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, seriously, after reading reviews, I need to know, does it hurt? I can’t take hurt right now. It’s the middle of the night, I just finished reading about a fish family, I wanna go to bed happy. Be honest with me, does it hurt? Cuz if It does I don’t wanna read it rn, I’ll wait til tomorrow or something QWQ

2. mYboiS

mYboiS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg a very sweet novel! Happy ending! Smut scenes are hidden, you will have to pay to get those chapters. However the story is great without those scenes.

3. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure what you mean by "does it hurt?" Can you be more specific?

Fanservice Paradox is an enemies-to-lovers slow burn romance. There is some tragic backstory, but it's mostly a sweet story. That said,
    the relationship has some power-play (BDSM) elements, including non-con play. These are consensual and mutually desired, though there isn't the kind of explicit negotiation ahead of time that would be necessary in real life. It's mostly the characters naturally wanting the same thing and therefore doing it that way. Great for smut, but don't try this at home! They do check in afterward, though, and as readers you're privy to their thoughts, so it's made crystal clear that this is the dynamic they both want. I generally hate dub-con, but I enjoyed reading this.

It's only in the smut chapters (which are only available through special request) though, so you can read the main story even if you don't want to read the smut, and just be aware that the characters are in a D/s relationship. To me, it feels very different from stories that imply top/bottom gong/shou seme/uke relationships are somehow inherently a power dynamic. The smut is also medically accurate (none of this getting a fever from having s*x nonsense) which is a breath of fresh air in the C-genre which is otherwise full of poorly written s*x scenes.