Question Flying Lines group.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Mazino, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaspaaar

Jaspaaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Demon's Diary is quite a unique situation, but I can explain why it was taken down entirely from GT and also not resumed on QI.

Qidian owns the translations of all of the former GT novels they publish, since they own GT, whose contracts in its last year or two mandated ownership being given to the company. DD is different in that its translation began years ago (so no contracts) and it was worked on by dozens of translators, meaning that A) its ownership wasn't signed over to GT while it was being translated, and B) there is no singular translator they can pay to buy the existing translations. They would have to chase up dozens of translators, many of whom aren't in the translation community anymore. And that's assuming there are even proper records of who exactly translated what.

As such, QI will not host those DD translations it has no claims to, and, since it directly manages (or doesn't manage) GT itself now, it isn't willing to leave those indisputably unowned translations up on there either.

So tl;dr, DD is probably never coming back since it'd require QI to restart from Chapter 1, which they probably aren't interested in doing. Please don't spread random speculation about them being "forced" to take it down as if it's fact.

midnights, Westeller and Wu Jizun like this.
  2. readerX

readerX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Babel Realm pick DD after those were dropped and deleted without announcement/explaintion from Qidian Inter & GT. Then Babel Realm have to dropped and deleted too this time it better since they explain that someone sent them DMCed.

So you are say that they don't gave a shxt to tl DD but still going shoot DMCed at anyone who going to translated it?

Flying-Lines just pick up and release first chapter today i wonder how many chapters they can release before have to dropped too. Oh Demon Diary... your future look so dim.

3. Jaspaaar

Jaspaaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kind of, but not really. That DMCA to Babelchain was for all Qidian novels, not DD specifically - you're misconstruing it again. They would've been more concerned about Library of Heaven's Path, King of Gods etc. But obviously they had no reason not to just ask Babelchain to take everything down, and they were well within their right to do so.

Westeller and Wu Jizun like this.
  4. aliceV

aliceV Member

Reading List:
    Link
    try slide up and down, it will load the next page automatically

5. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I can only load next page once before I can’t get to the bottom of the next page(any mode), or the chapter is cut off early(horizontal mode). I have to use table of contents for every chapter on their site. I think it just doesn’t support my tiny screen size (iPhone SE).

Tl;dr Vertical Viewing works (mostly), but horizontal stops the ‘page’ before the end of the chapter.

I like what I’ve picked up so far at their site so it’s worth it.

Anra7777 likes this.
  6. lailai

lailai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I discovered Flying Lines and can verify the quality of their translation based on The Decade of Deep Love. This BL novel has pretty straightforward language, so if someone were to use edited MTL, it would still get the gist across. This group's translations, however, accurately expresses a lot of the subtlety in the original Chinese that can be lost by amateur translators (like me who realized my vocabulary is not limited when I'm freely expressing ideas, but gets limited when trying to translate).

It is possible they had 6 years of professional translating experience, even if it isn't 6 years in the novel community.

7. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm... on the one chapter I read for a BL novel, the translation quality was bad. I’m glad that’s not true for other releases.

8. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, now I finally understand why I could only find half of the chapter.:hmm:

Nom de Plume likes this.
  9. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At first I was excited to see so many abandoned novels get picked up...
    Unfortunately it is barely edited machine translation. Slightly better than raw MTL, but still pretty terrible.

Demon diary, legend of the great saint, and overlord in cultivation have all been picked up and butchered by them.

10. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn....but thanks for the heads up.

11. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    So, is there anyone from this group lurking at NUF?

12. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know why people are calling their translation bad. Maybe it's just some novel because The Longest Day in Chang'an is doing great.

Still waiting for them to finish the book to binge read.

EDIT: Their Hot/Rating/New page is full of BLs and I'm actually scared.

13. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They use machine translation and then maybe edit it.
    They are an oversized group with too many stories (and presumably editors) with extremely wildly varying difference in quality, from diligent editors who put in a lot of effort to people who post machine translation without any editing

Leaning heavily towards the no to barely any editing side of the spectrum. so most of the stuff they post is terrible. The same stuff you can get from any machine translation site.
    The fact you personally are enjoying one of their stories is just you being lucky and finding one of their rare good editors.

Kitama likes this.
  14. Tearlesereph

Tearlesereph Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just found their app and was reading "I Became A Virtuous Wife and Loving Mother in another Cultivation World" and then got stuck because the later chapters are all locked by SP which apparently is a currency for the app I'd need to purchase with real money. Got a little sad since I wasn't sure exactly how much money I would need to spend to unlock the rest so I started MTLing to read it myself and noticed... the chapters that are translated by Flying Lines don't match up with the actual raw novel? Like Flying lines divides a chapter into 2 or 3 individual releases and numbers them differently. Like in the app it's chapter 80something while in the actual novel it's only chapter 50something. I wish it was more transparent and they labelled it as ch 56a, ch 56b, or something so the reader is more aware. I made a comment about that and their app deleted it. More chapters means more SP is needed to be spent to purchase... I don't know, that's just sketchy to me. I just really hope this novel gets picked up by another translator.

Kitama, mrttao and Nom de Plume like this.
  15. rukbat

rukbat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    flying lines is garbage machine translations, they should be banned

mrttao likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.