Discussion Fraternity hazing~

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by akki, Jul 17, 2018.

1. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yahallo~

Yesterday my brother was watching some American tv show and there was one scene in which the characters were out looking for weed. In their search they come across a fraternity house with a bunch of guys outside smoking weed. These guys have a chat with the mc’s and say something like “you wanna come in? We’re about to get the pledges naked”.

Now my question is about fraternity houses and the hazing they put the people who wanna join through. I’m not saying all fraternity houses do it, but what’s with getting pledges naked and making them do weird stuff? Why do they do it and why do those pledges willingly do the weird stuff?

Has anyone here joined a fraternity? What did you have to do? Would you ever wanna join a frat? Anyone you know in a fraternity? What kind of things have you seen/read/heard about fraternity pledge hazing?

Share your views please~

2. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    ...I thought it is supposed to be a secret. Never talk about Fight Club...

matt_esa, Bad Storm and akki like this.
  3. Cian-Chan

Cian-Chan Disappearing Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought they do that to test you. Like if you really want to enter the fraternity and if you are ready to be loyal. Fraternity is something like a brotherhood, right? So they treat it seriously. I don't even know why they really started doing it.

I didn't join any fraternity because my mom forbids it. There was a lot of news in my country about deaths(or suicides) caused by hazing and humiliation.

akki likes this.
  4. LightOrNot

LightOrNot Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8.

Reading List:
    Link
    Soggy biscuit.

elengee likes this.
  5. eklok14

eklok14 Lvl 20 Corporate Slave

Reading List:
    Link
    I never joined a fraternity but my older brothers did, they said they were paddled in the back of their thighs while reciting the Frat rules, and had to act like a gofer for the senior members for a month.

akki likes this.
  6. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    They want to make sure you’re loyal because of brotherhood. If one gets into trouble, the others join. If one rapes a girl, the others join, etc...
    Anyway not all frats are like this, some are all for studying and some are Christian frats etc... it’s just that most frats are weird and kinky like that.

RedKaiser and akki like this.
  7. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    I knew a guy who pledged to a fraternity. They had him get up at 3 am every morning and made him run up an down stairs for a while and then made him crawl on rough concrete. Dude had cuts and bruises all over his body. Don’t join a fraternity

akki likes this.
  8. GodFist666

GodFist666 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    whelp... I did join a fraternity myself, there were even near death scenario with one of my batchmates with the hazing. Supposedly they do it to test the initiates resolve or something, it has gone to be a tradition to do it to the newcomers though had a really rough time for a month.. but to be honest it's not really worth it now that I've been thinking about it wahahaha

akki likes this.
  9. eklok14

eklok14 Lvl 20 Corporate Slave

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda regret not joining a fraternity when I was in college. My brothers got a wide range of connections by joining a popular fraternity when they were at school, some of their frat mates became lawyers and politicians, and they are still friends to this day.

Rumby and akki like this.
  10. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    fraternity's sound like some simplified cults

11. Haitaka

Haitaka [Always Busy]

Reading List:
    Link
    Frats can get pretty intense.

I heard about some frat seniors getting arrested after accidentally killing one of the initiates because he had a heart condition.

akki likes this.
  12. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I did consider joining one at the beginning of university, but it just isn't my thing
    If you consider joining one you have to imagine yourself joining a fashistic and indoctrinated group (like the nazis, some church order, a mercenary group or some gang that has it's rules and traditions). If you can't imagine yourself being part of such a group and aren't compatible with the principle of age (only based on membership) being equivalent to power and obeying even ridiculous orders then you shouldn't join one. Of course there are some that are very non extreme but the principle stays the same in everyone. Also don't imagine that you will just use them to get a cheap place to live and later leave without paying, that shit doesn't work
    this is what I got to know from my own experiences (mostly reeeaaally nice parties the frats made for all to reel in new members) and from a friend who ojined one

akki likes this.
  13. vancenick

vancenick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I knew a Christian frat house that required 2 hours of prayer from their new members every day for a month

akki likes this.
  14. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My frat wasn't as extreme, but then again my chapter is young. I was part of beta class...

Was it hard, yeah, but no one pysically assulted or humilated me.

akki likes this.
  15. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Glazed cookies, my favourite to make. :blobwhistle:

16. Mangikop

Mangikop Observer from the Fourth Wall

Reading List:
    Link
    They do that to deepen their bond, and maybe to see how serious the applicant in joining the group. The more painful, the more they will feel special... maybe. This may result in death or serious injuries though.

akki likes this.
  17. SorceressPol

SorceressPol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. I have no interest in joining a college club house where you have to make oaths and kiss upperclassmen asses until you're fully accepted. Fraternities/sororities do have networking opportunities to find jobs after graduating, just not any I would be interested in.

akki likes this.
  18. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the other reason for it is to make the group closer knit and create lasting memories so that a bond is formed between the members (near-death-experiences help very much with that)
    basically it's a simple way to brainwash the members in a non-harmful way and make them stick together as a group since they all went through the same
    although a few are cultlike, most are not, as a cult worships something/someone and they usually don't

19. Guradu Gilgida

Guradu Gilgida 【Gentleman】【Tembikar Demon】

Reading List:
    Link
    Q : Why do those pledges willingly do the weird stuff?
    A : It's all about benefits.

Q : What’s with getting pledges naked and making them do weird stuff?
    A : There's no free benefits. Also, the seniors were the victims last year, now it's their turn to bully.

Wicked Cat and akki like this.
  20. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    And sisterhood for the female frats. And yeah there have been hazings that went really wrong at times.
    That’s not so bad. Very mild stuff~
    Torturous but not so extreme. I could’ve easily done that.
    Did you stay in the fraternity all through college/uni?
    That’s is a good thing about frats that I like. It does have its advantages. But I guess only if it’s a well known frat.