Fucking GoogleUpdate.exe!

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Ai chan, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    If you've used Chrome, you've probably come across times when GoogleUpdate.exe suddenly pops up and slows down your computer or eat up additional memory that in turn slow down your computer, or causes a sudden jump in internet usage for some mysterious reason.

Yeah, certainly someone will tell you to add more RAM, but that's a stupid suggestion. Just because one program is causing your computer problems, you have to add more RAMs? That's like America bombing your country and to solve your problems, you decide to bomb someone else's country at your expense. Sure, you get some resources, but you lose some resources (money) too.

Ai-chan often have problems with GoogleUpdate.exe. Usually it's only causing internet or my processor to become slow. But other times, like just fucking now, GoogleUpdate.exe caused my internet to shut off for unknown reasons. This is not a fluke, this happened a lot of times already. The solution was to restart my computer, but Ai-chan was installing Supreme Commander so that option was out.

So Ai-chan looked for solution on the net, and guess what? Everyone wanted to remove GoogleUpdate.exe. From top to bottom, the questions asked were only 2:
    1) Is GoogleUpdate.exe a virus?
    2) How to remove GoogleUpdate.exe?

If you have strangely high CPU or memory usage or both when GoogleUpdate.exe is running, that's most certainly GoogleUpdate.exe's doing. If your internet suddenly becomes slow or your internet suddenly stops responding, that's GoogleUpdate's doing. Remove GoogleUpdate.exe for your peace of mind. Remove it immediately, if you haven't already.

You do not need to update Chrome. We know Chrome eats your memory for breakfast, lunch and dinner and future updates will only give out versions that consume even more memory. So use what you have and never update Chrome. At least don't update Chrome for the coming 10 years. By then you'd have quantum processor, probably. Or you'd already be dead. In either case, you wouldn't worry about GoogleUpdate.exe anymore

Below is the walkthrough to remove GoogleUpdate.exe.

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove...round-process-after-installing-google-chrome/

Remove it early, remove it every time. Slaughter that GoogleUpdate.exe in every computer you find. Never let GoogleUpdate.exe run, ever. Kill them all!

kenar, lohwengk, Lianna and 4 others like this.
  2. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    The only reason why I use it is because of offline google drive... their leaks will never be fixed

Ai chan likes this.
  3. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    what i think whenever i ear anyone complaining about chrome, windows or mac

the dark side welcomes you we have mozilla and lots of linux distributions
    and cookies:cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie:

Miku, Blitz, k1nk4 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, Ai-chan does use Firefokusu. Firefokusu do have their own problems, but at least they didn't overburn my memory. With Chrome, just 6 tabs is enough to slow down my computer, but with Firefokusu, Ai-chan can keep it at 100 tabs without suffering any performance degradation.

And just now Ai-chan removed GoogleUpdate.exe and boom, the Internet that shut off when GoogleUpdate.exe started suddenly ran well again.

kenar and Lianna like this.
  5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, never really had trouble from it. Thanks anyway~

Myriadfold and Ai chan like this.
  6. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    Plenty of browserfish in the sea

zhainan2157 and Ai chan like this.
  7. Shtirliz

Shtirliz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just use linux. There no autoupdates there which you cannot control. When you need to update you just update from repository. Also, it uses much less memory and there no viruses.

Ai chan likes this.
  8. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    although it's not a particularly desirable fix, i've been using rammap lately. it doesn't stop programs from running when i don't want 'em too, but it's been a nice way to clear out all the memory they keep trying to store in standby, since windows just can't be assed to do it on its own. it'll fill back up eventually, but it's been useful so far.

Ai chan likes this.
  9. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    don't use chrome but if needed, the portable version is there.

Ai chan likes this.
  10. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    chrome causes me the least issues of all browsers and holds tons of passwords for me. I shall pass on leaving myself exposed for such a small issue i have yet to face

11. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am using mainly my Windows XP computer for reading novels and i have surely keeping more then 100 tabs open. But strangely i never saw this Google update on chrome on my windows 8 laptop.

Edit: btw Ai-chan, why do i never see you lately in Yuri Garden (NUF) ?

12. lordbeirut

lordbeirut Emperor of Perdition

Reading List:
    Link
    You do realize that chrome will not update without it right? The reason why it suddenly pops up is that it's checking for updates in the background and downloading them, or downloading the prefetch data of the next update. By the way, the idea you don't need to update chrome is beyond foolish. Many new functions are admittedly annoying, such as the new one where if you log in on chrome it also logs in on google and vice versa. However, many updates are designed to patch security holes which are incredibly important. Not to mention that the assertion that new updates will make it eat more memory and processing power is preposterous. While it certainly COULD, there's no logical point of inference that determines it WOULD.

Myriadfold likes this.
  13. lordbeirut

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, i'm pretty sure it's a problem with your computer then. I currenly have 44 tabs open on chrome and about 3% cpu usage and 1.3g of ram usage. And that is with 13 extensions active.[​IMG]

14. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean Faiafokusu?

Ai chan likes this.
  15. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh sure, there is no guarantee that future versions will use more resources, but it's because you don't notice it. Try blocking autoupdate for one year, then enable it again. You will notice that the resource use jumps suddenly. It's the incremental update adding more stuff little by little that eats up your resources. After 1 year, you realize that your computer is strangely laggy when using the same program you used a year ago, but you didn't notice it was a problem because the resource usage adds up slowly, little by little.

1.3 GB? That's a LOT of RAM, man! I don't know how much RAM you have or what processor you have, but that's a lot of resources. Besides, I said it slows down my computer, and at 40 tabs I also used that much RAM, but that is a lot of RAM usage for 44 tabs.

On firefox right now, I have 68 tabs open, and it only uses 645MB of RAM. You should not feel satisfied with 44 tabs using 1.3GB RAM, that's high.
    Screenshot 2018-11-27 04.26.04.png

And now the resource usage fell.
    Screenshot 2018-11-27 04.30.44.png

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  16. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    I uninstalled Chrome years ago when I started getting paranoid about how they seemed to know my preferences and habits even though I never made a Google+ account. I don't even dare use Google search anymore. Sure, it's the best for finding what you're looking for, but the reason is because they've profiled you.

Recently, I installed it again because of 1 browser game the just wouldn't run on Firefox. I figured if I only used it for 1 or 2 games it would be fine. Then I kept getting notices from Norton about these .exe file that accessed the internet had been found safe. Turns out, Chrome sends data back home even when your not using it. I managed to find and disable that feature buried in options, but I'm afraid it will re-enable some update. It already replaces Norton Safe Search with Google search every update, and it tries to trick me into disabling my other Norton extensions with this routine looking pop up asking me to re-enable Chromes default virus protection.

Seriously, Chrome should be considered spyware.

Ai chan likes this.
  17. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Supreme Commander. Nice.

18. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    here for the cookies.

19. lordbeirut

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not just about quantity though. I just checked chrome's task manager i realized that out of that 1.3g it was using, almost 600mb was for just 2 pages, 2 instances of mangarock with a full strip webtoon loaded plus about 500mb was for the gpu process.

20. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    Being virus-free on Windows isn't that hard. Don't visit shady sites, don't read shady mail.Linux has viruses as well you know. Mac isn't safe either, both may be UNIX-like unlike Windows but that doesn't mean they're safe.

Chrome devouring memory was a design choice. I'd think Chrome uses just as much memory on Linux as on Windows. No, actually when looking it up some even report worse memory usage on Linux ... lackluster optimization?

Linux in general is lighter than Windows. And Windows Update is a scourge indeed. It can be disabled I think, but it requires some tinkering. You'd have to disable the Update service and the service that automatically turns the Update service on again. And maybe some more steps, don't remember.

And it's not like Linux is always that easy to use. Generally it is (assuming an easy to use distro), on some fronts more so than Windows. But what if there's an actual problem? If you're somewhat savvy about linux/distro/config you'll be able to fix it, but that's not an option for everyone.

I've had nice experiences on Linux, easy to use, light, etc. and not many problems, but I can fix those if any pop up. And it's great for coding, coding on Windows is horrible in comparison. So intuitive on Linux.

Well, kind of. Google was the best because it was just better than other search machines. It earned its dominant spot years and years ago, without the profiling of today. Today it arguably still is the best without profiling. There's some sort of privacy-oriented search engine that actually uses Google for its search results, but effectively acts as a proxy of sorts. In conclusion, Google is good because it simply is, not because of personalization.

That aside, the profiling exists and they're pretty good at it by now I'd imagine. With it, Google is even better, especially at serving personalized ads :blobwink:. I shy away from Alphabet as much as I can as well.

You use Norton, and call Chrome spyware? :blobjoy:
    My experience with Norton entails: it hogging resources and slowing other tasks down, unwanted popups and it doing unwanted things all the time, and it was impossible to cleanly uninstall. The uninstaller had problems ... not the only antivirus with buggy uninstallers by the way (I'm looking at you AVG). Had to remove files in Explorer and registry keys before I finally got rid of pesky Norton.

Windows Defender is probably the single best thing Microsoft made for Windows. It's lightweight and largely unobtrusive. Antivirus programs only serve to keep out the common rubbish of viruses and the like anyway.

1.3GB is a lot? I have 3 tabs open of which one is YouTube, and I'm using almost 1GB ... Firefox. RAM usage by browsers depends on how much total available RAM you have: spamming open like 30 new tabs only increases usage by 700MB. You can't simply compare numbers across computers, at least look at the total available RAM of the computers first. Besides, this is probably allocated RAM, doesn't mean that it is actually used at that moment/has any data stored. On a computer with more RAM, the browser sets more aside for a "better experience".

CPU usage means jack shit. With all the opened tabs and YouTube playing I dip to 0.2 percent. Almost no browser will tax you CPU, unless it's a seven year old budget laptop.

Nice "Incest" tab by the way, I don't expect any less of NU :blobjoy:

Now, time to close all those fucking tabs.

Miku likes this.