Games about being a feudal lord

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Ai chan, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan is tired of all the strategy and FPS games so far. Ai-chan wants to play as a baron or a count and just develop my fief in peace. Heck, even being a knight govrning a hide of land is good enough. Does anyone know of any games where you play as a feudal lord who develops their fief in a sandbox world? Oh, it must be a PC game. Repeat that please, PC.

Something like Banished, except with castles and some military system.

Something like Settlers 6, except sandbox.

Something like Knights of Honor, except without the unfairness of your opponents having huge territories.

Something like Nobunaga's Ambition, except in European (or European-like) setting.

Something like Grand Ages: Medieval, except they must not suck ass.

Something like Stronghold, except with less battle-focus and more diplomacy and politics.

NOT like Age of Empires.

NOT like Rimworld.

NOT like Crusader Kings 2. Ai-chan wants actual land and not a list of buildings.

NOT like Life Is Feudal. Well, maybe something like that, as long as it's not made with Unity and not full of bugs.

NOT like Feudal Lords.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Arexio, Zemeckis and Sircus like this.
  2. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
  3. CcChaos4

CcChaos4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not try Mount and Blade?

4. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    Mount and blade isn't sandbox

Ai chan likes this.
  5. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Minecraft

*runs away

Jokes aside, I hope Hytale can make what Aichan wants a reality. Sounds fun. Probably as a community mod.

6. CcChaos4

CcChaos4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? I always thought it was since it just goes on and on even if I conquer every town.

7. CoffeeMonk

CoffeeMonk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello Kitty Island Adventure

userunfriendly and thymee like this.
  8. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Ostriv? Anno games? Warcraft 3?.. well I used to think I was playing as thrall leading the horde to salvation.

9. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm curious too ...

10. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, you are right that it is sandbox. what i meant was that it is not a building game-sandbox

edit: Just for clarification. I think that what Ai chan is looking for is a building game rather than an RPG ( i could be wrong as I can not see into @Ai chan 's mind)

Ai chan likes this.
  11. CcChaos4

CcChaos4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh... That was what popped into mind.

I'm more into RPG than rts/management so that's my only contribution in this thread.

12. Lanfiar

Lanfiar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try Civilazation IV or V with the peace setting on. Its a Sid Meier game, he is famous for world building games.
    Not sure what sandbox game refers to.
    Hope I helped.

Ai chan likes this.
  13. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like to recommend Pathfinder PC but kingdom management isn't the focus in that game

Ai chan likes this.
  14. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    The Guild 2 was quite an nice medieval managing game.
    It's an old one, but a good one : you are a merchant managing your company in a big city of the second half of medieval times.
    There is a lot to do (and a lot of those are completly amoral, crusader king's style :blob_sunglasses: ) and you can get (buy/extort/etc...) a title if you work hard enough for it, you can also follow your family on many generations, improving its power and renown...
    You build all sort of buildings and can see the people moving around on screen (so you can arrange unfortunate accidents for your competitors or have be carefull of your family, employees and convoy being targeted too), trading with fareway cities or neighboring farms and mines.

The guild 3 is still in early access so if you can accept old graphics I'll suggest starting with the second one (and no need to have a computer that can run the lastest stuff in 12k here, you can run this game on a toaster (or even a netbook)).

thymee and Lanfiar like this.
  15. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Is Pentium laptop enough to run it? >_>

16. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    Its old, but Safari's Pharoah is good
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/564530/Pharaoh__Cleopatra/

there is also the Anno series is really good too. It's mostly about City development, production and trade. They're even coming out with a new one in April.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/916440/Anno_1800/

17. Seventhmist

Seventhmist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there is this game called Anno 1800 that i think the game you're looking for that will be launched in april.

here's the gameplay/preview from one of my fav youtuber

18. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ostriv looks like a Unity game, and that would burn my laptop, so thanks, but not what Ai-chan can use. Development has also slowed down considerably with actual game update being in May last year. Even if it's being worked on, it will be a decade before it's done and by that time Ai-chan would've probably made the game Ai-chan want myself out of sheer boredom.

Ai-chan did like Guild 2, but gave up when the rival dynasties were too strong to shake and spending decades unseating them is not fun. It's close enough to what Ai-chan wants, except for a feudal lord who runs his own territory.

You're right, Ai-chan wants a game where you develop your territory as a feudal lord, where you also engage in diplomacy and build up your power among peers.

This game has some building elements that Ai-chan is looking for https://vndb.org/v11620

Civilization games aren't sandbox. They're competitive head-to-head games. Even if you ban all aggression, it's still not sandbox. Sandbox refers to playing the same game/land/city/nation for as long as you want. In Civilization, you're forced to move forward or lose the game.

Frankly Ai-chan prefers Zeus: Master of Olympus over Pharaoh. Ai-chan remember my Pharaoh towns burning up because the walkers failed to reach the place due to too many intersections and how Ai-chan had to build warehouses just to keep straw because nobody use them.

Anno is nice. Used to be fun, unfortunately it's not what Ai-chan wants. It severely lacks the 'feudal lord managing fief' part. You have to constantly seek out new territories or steal territories from enemies. Ai-chan just wants to be a nice lord who builds stuff and taxes peasants to their drawers.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  19. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Dawn of Man? There's attacking mobs every so often but you're not fighting against anyone.

20. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    the games that I can think of is EU (europe universalis) and grand ages: medieval