Discussion Gardening

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, May 17, 2021.

?

Do you like plants?

1. Yes, but it doesn't like me...

39.4%
  2. Yes, I like them grass-types

24.2%
  3. Yes, I could grow a plant or two or hundreds!

30.3%
  4. No, it's too much trouble

12.1%
  5. No, they better stay in paintings and pictures

9.1%
  6. *achoo* *achoo*

9.1%
  7. It's mutual hate

6.1%
  8. I don't particularly care about them

24.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can never go wrong with onions tbh

Bad Storm likes this.
  2. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    It's actually funny because I never buy onions yet we never run out at home. My sis always brings a lot. Our neighbour also give us some. I'm in a constant state of "should I make onion rings" because of how many onions we have at home :blobrofl:

KhayDesu and babybb like this.
  3. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Onions and garlic are the two things that somehow never run out. I don’t know what it is, they just somehow always exist in kitchens, without being restocked. I smell a... conspiracy? :blobspy::blobpeek:

KhayDesu likes this.
  4. KhayDesu

KhayDesu ❀Rᴇᴀᴅιɴԍ Eɴтнusιᴀsт❀ | ★ᴅᴇsu~★ | ✿Loquᴀcιous✿『☕』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahahahaha Im more of a 'Survival to the Fittest!' kind of person i just toss em seeds and whoever grow grows and only then i will pay attention to it desu~!

5. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    I would have done that if I weren't so obsessed with arranging things the way I want.

KhayDesu likes this.
  6. KhayDesu

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahhh~ i see desu~! So you're a person who loves to keep her things in symmetry! i get it in my games especially in base building ones i tend to make my city orderly and make it as beautiful as possible desu~! though thats only for games in RL im super lazy unless i find it interesting and always do things half-heartedly

7. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't have to be in symmetry, but they at least have to have their own place. And I'm lazy to transfer them

KhayDesu likes this.
  8. KhayDesu

Reading List:
    Link
    yeahh too much effort desu~! as long as it is there then its fine!

9. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that was my favorite cartoon as a child, had it on a vhs. Even though it was made way before my childhood I still loved it despite its antiquity. Its the kind of cartoon I would want to share with my children someday

10. TheFluffyOne

TheFluffyOne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was younger I couldn’t keep a plant alive even if my life depended on it.. :blobsweat:
    But 2,5 year ago my mom gave me 2 orchids and a ponytail palm. Those are super easy to take care of and since then I’ve learned to keep my (now close to 30) plants alive :blobuwu:

Bad Storm likes this.
  11. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    There was a time in high school where my class (I had the same classmates for 4 years) was tasked by our homeroom teacher to keep plants. So we said, "let's gets some cactus so it won't die easily!"

a few months later, the cactus died. Thinking about it now, it's quite a baffling thing, to be able to kill a cactus :blobrofl:

12. TheFluffyOne

TheFluffyOne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...since touching a cactus in kindergarden (and spending the following 30 minutes getting it’s needles pulled out of my hand), I refuse to care for one of those things.. But I’ve read that they’re pretty easy to kill by overwatering :blobsweat_2:

We got that task too, though we had to plant either lemons or oranges. I live in friggin’ Scandanavia, so unsurprisingly nothing grew :blobamused:

13. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the funny thing, it didn't die due to overwatering... the opposite actually, it died because it wasn't watered enough :blobrofl:

Would have been nice if the lemon and oranges grow tho... fruits... :blobdrool:

TheFluffyOne likes this.
  14. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was a child I use to garden a lot with my parents. We had a peach tree and we grew tomatoes . We also had lots of flowers . Sadly our peach tree fell down in a storm one day .

15. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Aww, forever remembered, dear peach tree. I have the same experience but the tree that fell down in my case was tamarind.

16. Napelynn

Napelynn Tuna Angel

Reading List:
    Link
    I grew a thing of corn once. It tasted really bad.

17. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm even though I lived in the city for most of my life, my mother always kept a lot of flower pots and one of our chores as kids was to properly water and trim them in certain intervals. If we let them drown or dry, she would scold us :blobsob:
    I don't remember how many there were but it was basically violets, peace lily and ferns.

I haven't kept any plants ever since we moved but I always kept some handy potted herbs like rosemary, thyme, scallions, basil, etc in the apartments we lived in before. During summertime, I raised mini tomatoes too. Not sure why but my coriander plants never lasted long...
    Other than that, my dearest one was a small coffee tree. Because wintertime was too cold, I brought it inside the apartment and turned on a fan heater to always keep the room temperature at 18ºC even when I was out of the house. I repotted it and gave it some of those nutrient shots every spring. It was given to a friend to take care of before we left the country.

My dream house would have a vegetable garden with cabbages, garlic sprouts, daikon, carrots, broccoli, etc. Not sure about fruit trees since they take a while to grow... maybe some berry bushes? I heard blueberries thrive well as potted plants. I might try that. My family used to produce a large variety of citrus fruits, also persimmons and loquats. My dad used to love to talk about this stuff as we strolled around the farm when I was younger. I sadly don't remember much of the actual content though. On the other side of the family, I have fond memories of climbing mango trees. We used to stuff ourselves when visiting during summer vacation.

After my family moved to a bigger apartment with a large veranda, my dad transformed the place into a forest :sweating_profusely:
    There's a small compost bin set there so he can use the veggie/fruit scraps from the kitchen to feed the plants. He even got a small yuzu tree there. I've only seen pictures of it but I'm sure he spends a lot of time taking care of them daily (he's sorta retired, working as an independent consultant now).

Bad Storm likes this.
  18. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    wow, that honestly sounds amazing. :aww:

19. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the only reason my mom puts up with the veranda overpopulated with plants is that's better than going back to the countryside for her (And my dad takes 100% responsibility for taking care of that). She's more adapted to a practical city living but I think my father yearns for his childhood days in the woods :blobxd:

20. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I lack green thumbs...

But there's a solution. Just sprinkle seeds and guerilla-plant if you don't have a garden. If it lives, it lives!