Discussion Gender-Bender Association

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ohko, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    There's another site called fictionmania.tv where everything is gender-bender and crossdressing, and more specialized towards those two. However, as of two years ago, the majority of the stories there are sexual and many of the popular ones involve sexual abuse. There are some good stories there, but generally people who prefer romantic stories will steer clear from that site as it's a hit or miss.

2. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh, yes, I too would prefer to stay clear of those types of stories since I'm a huge fan of romance. Thanks! I never knew you were so deep in the gender bender hole. I'd have asked a long time ago if I knew!

3. PoshPurin

PoshPurin New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Words on a Screen" is a pretty cute cross dressing story in which the male protagonist finds a female love interest to accept him. (Can't post links yet, but I read it on royalroad)

I would be interested in reading similar works or other novels written by this author.

Also had a nice time with "Swamp Girl" which has a very cool story surrounding the title's name. It is a gender bender reincarnation with romance. I also appreciate that it's one of the few novels (that I like that) that doesn't involve isekai. The novel will explain the meaning of the novel's title about 3/4 of the way through the story. (Can't post links yet, but I read it on bitgray.wordpress)

The only other story that has a similar plot device to "Swamp Girl" that I have read is "Substitute Hero." It is a gender bender isekai (one of the few decent ones in my opinion). Unfortunately, it is not finished yet whereas the other are are complete. (Can't post links yet, but I read it on creativenovels)

4. SilvaLau

SilvaLau Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    New teaser on Re:Library! How can the Saintess be a Boy?!

It's a new Gender Bender novel with a trap (boy dressing as girl) this time :aww:

The god dropped a "boy" at the Church and claimed that "he" is the saintess, and thus the Pope had no other choice but to raise "him" as the saintess. And now, 15 years later, the Saintess is suddenly summoned by an otherworlder hero who wants a "silver-haired girl" to serve him. Whatever future shall fall upon the poor silver-haired Saintess(?) now!

Walter vi Britannia likes this.
  5. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Traps and crossdressing don't really fall into gender bender category though...right?
    But what the hell. I'm into those too so I'm not complaining. lol

BTW, is there romance in it?

6. SilvaLau

Reading List:
    Link
    According to the tag in the raw source, it says there are romance and yuri (huh?)

And yes, crossdressing does fall into Gender Bender.
    Gender Bender is a broad category, and it is defined in NU as such:
    > Girls dressing up as guys, guys dressing up as girls. Guys turning into girls, girls turning into guys.

What you are talking about is Genderswap, and if that's the case, then yeah, it definitely doesn't fit into the Genderswap category.

7. SilvaLau

Reading List:
    Link
    New Gender Bender available on Re:Library!

Reborn as a Transcendent!

Summary by Wild Lurker:
    The MC in the story suddenly finds himself three years in the past after being killed, right before the release of a full immersion game. But he happens to know that the game is far more than a mere game and is a fully-fledged world in its own right, and that the system works by projecting souls, and that players will gradually begin to gain the abilities of their characters in the real world, and that the game world will eventually merge with the real one.

So he resolves to get in at the very start. And right at the start, he gets a female-only skill during character creation, and the system decides to ‘fix’ the problem be changing his soul.
    He/She works to become the strongest in the game, while also working to get rare items or skills that will allow abilities to be brought back quickly to deal with pre-existing and new danger in the real world.

8. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Awesome!...but aww, it's yuri.

Does it have a NU link?

9. SilvaLau

Reading List:
    Link
    it's pending for review, gotta wait for a mod to accept it.

10. Insanenebula

Insanenebula Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ~85% novels/manga/etc are about love/drama/romance and about ~25% are readable without facepalming.
    ~10% where mc character can transform into a woman, but that is all, mostly. I would say it is about a fan service and nothing more.
    ~5% where gender bender on first roles and save his/her personality. Slowly he/she accepted/or partially accepted his/her position in social structures. We can see how they point of view on the world is changing. We can see how they are becoming something else then just a man or woman because they know two side of our/not our social/etc world. I would say more about such things, but I will do it later, maybe.

I would recommend Reverend Insanity and For A Prosperous World from that ~5% novels.
    Both of them have a character(in RI later and this is not an mc, but I would say the second mc) that had been transformed into a woman.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read a fair share of Gender Bender, and I think you're really undermining the % of good stories that touch into interesting topics... There are plenty of those out there if you bother with searching for them.

12. Insanenebula

Insanenebula Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that ~40% are pretty enough(25+10+5) and I did not talk about bad/good/etc because then we will talk about personal tastes.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  13. SamStrike

SamStrike Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there a good male-to-female novel without romance?

14. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, got tons! (...well, not really. There are not many gender benders to begin with so can't really say I've got tons of anything in this genre. lol)

Anyway, you looking for only completed ones or would incomplete ones do? (Cause in some of the incomplete ones I'm not too sure if there is going to turn out to be romance or not...since it's incomplete, obviously.)

15. SamStrike

SamStrike Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm fine with either

16. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the only completed one I have is this one:
    I Ended up as the Hero’s Mother After Reincarnating?! (Oneshot)
    I Ended up as the Hero’s Mother After Reincarnating?!

These are the ones being translated:
    Muyoku no Seijo wa Okane ni Tokimeku
    The Ancestor of our Sect Isn’t Acting like an Elder
    A Wild Last Boss Appeared
    Sword Saint’s Disciple
    Tilea’s Worries
    Nigotta Hitomi no Lilianne
    Kyuuketsu Hime wa Barairo no Yume o Miru
    When I Became a Girl, an Unexpected Love Quarrel Occurred!
    She Professed Herself The Pupil Of The Wiseman (WN)/She Professed Herself The Pupil Of The Wiseman (LN)
    I Was Just an Only Child Boy, Now I Became One of a Four Quadruplet Sisters
    Succubus-san’s Life in Another World
    Release that Man
    Cross Connect
    For a Prosperous World
    Another World Transfer in Game Character
    The Guild’s Cheat Receptionist
    The Girl and The War
    Reincarnated as My Little Sister
    Kuishinbo Elf
    Ice Sculpture’s Basilisk
    Le Festin de Vampire
    I Reincarnated and Tried to Become a Genius Child Actor. I Want to Quit.
    Youjo Senki
    I Seemed to Be About to Be Considered to Be a Sacrifice, I Am Fine. But I Became a Woman
    Oyaji Kanojo
    Shinde Hajimaru

Here you go. Some have a romance tag but I still listed them cause so far I see no signs of romance or there being any in the future either but you never know.

The first three or four get frequent updates, below that are ones that sometimes get updates, and near the middle and the end are ones that haven't been updated in at least a year. But there are really good ones even among the bottom ones, like Youjo Senki which even has an anime (and it's manga version is my favorite manga or all time, I recommend you read the manga over the anime or novel...novel is licensed for English so you won't be getting any more updates on this site, sorry. But the manga is really good!)
    Third one and the wiseman one has a manga too btw.

Some of these also actually have translators who probably still follow them, but the author just hasn't released any new chapters. Like the genius child actor one, the reincarnated as little sister one, and the quadruplet sisters one probably.

Have fun.

17. palpart2

palpart2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I shall read all of these......Muhahaha...*cough*...*cough*

Ai chan likes this.
  18. ariwestt

ariwestt Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    boku girl is an amazing male to female gender bender manga