General Breakdown of Rights

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sharudeis, Nov 7, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're trying to tell me things will always go Qidian's way because of corruption in China, I'd like to remind you that they have, in fact, lost lawsuits over intellectual property claims and breaches of contract in the past. :blobunsure:

I'd also like to remind you that, as previously stated, publishing an unauthorized translation is illegal, even in China. If the site you just referenced published and refused to take down unauthorized translations, of course they were breaking the law. They were liable for that. .. The difference is that I'm sure Qidian didn't directly rip off their work the way they've done here. In that case, it was the translators breaking the law. In this case, it's Qidian and the translators breaking the law -- Although not all of the translators! For some, it's just Qidian breaking the law!

There's also the issue of breached contracts with WuxiaWorld. :sweating_profusely:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  2. tencent_hater

tencent_hater Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason, Qidian dare doing all this bullshit to WW and Volare, doe not care consequence, is because Qidian is sure they will not lost the case , because if WW or Volare sue them, Qidian can always counter-sue them for their "original sin".

Maybe Qidian could not win the case, but they will make sure it is very long and painful, so WW and Volare think it doesn't not worth it

3. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    What original sin? In the case of WuxiaWorld, for example, their translations were authorized, and they had a contract. What can Qidian sue them for? Even if they drum something up, it'll just fall flat. :blobunsure:

Yeah, it'll be long and painful. Lawsuits are. That said, because this is a growing industry, it's extremely worthwhile for WuxiaWorld to fight this out in court. It's an investment for the future, y'know.

4. tencent_hater

tencent_hater Member

Reading List:
    Link
    we don't know the detail of the contract between WW and Qidian, but we know Qidian is dishonest from beginning

Since Qidian make sure there is room for duo-hosting, I think Qidian make sure there is room for other things

5. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Makes room for duo-hosting? .. No, the entire point is that the contract did not allow for that (why would it?) and Qidian is doing it anyway.... It isn't about making room for something, it's about them outright breaching the contract.

Where you been, bro? QI is completely off the rails, lmao. They completely stopped caring about the law and contracts a long time ago.

6. tencent_hater

tencent_hater Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, the contract is probably designed with some loophole, so QI can later declared they can duo-host

most of us including Ren are not lawyers, for most of the contract, we just believe the good-will, and sign it without read anything (like we click the accept button on iphones)

maybe Ren hire a lawyer, but tencent is a such Pro of ripping small company, I doubt they can detect these loopholes

7. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Whoa, whoa. Hold on. No one signs a contract without having a lawyer read it unless they're stupid. :blobsleepless:

Especially when a lot of money is involved.

8. tencent_hater

tencent_hater Member

Reading List:
    Link
    most between-Chinese business relationship is based on personal relationship, reputation, face. The contract is just a formality

that is why Ren think he can translate more novels, even it is a just a oral agreement. Because it is usually enough between Chinese

9. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    To begin with, a contract is simply an agreement. Whether it's written... or oral. An oral agreement is a binding contract. .. It's just harder to prove. Ren seemed to think he had enough evidence to prove oral agreements existed. Hence, the broken oral agreements are just another breach of contract they can be sued for.

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh my... This is quite unusual... Someone that seems to actually be making a well thought post about Qidian...

Hmmmm... Thank you for that, it makes sense.

Razogul likes this.
  11. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:
    I know bringing popcorn to such a serious thread is rude, but I just can't resist watching debates happen. It's enjoyable, and popcorn is tasty.

12. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    sooo many drama threads rn to read...

13. tencent_hater

tencent_hater Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you put a lot assumption here and there

here is what we really know:
    1. Ren said A
    2. QI said B
    3. A and B are not compatible
    4. QI is shit

there is no evidence from these 4 could lead to A is true

14. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Its qidian. Lol
    They think they owns the law and use a mafia-like method to steal everything translated in their name.
    Theyre no different than agregator sites.
    Dual hosting my ass.

Westeller likes this.
  15. A_Skully

A_Skully Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a well worded and thought out post. But I don't think you recognise that a non-authorised published translation cannot hold copyright in the US. If it cannot hold a copyright, then the original owner is free to use the work. While not ethical and perhaps not moral, it is not illegal.

reference: uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title17-section103&num=0&edition=prelim

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Sharudeis likes this.
  16. Sharudeis

Sharudeis Semi-narcoleptic

Reading List:
    Link
    Noted.
    But I wasn't basing my post off US laws.

17. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is that it’s hard to say there’s an international standard when the US itself doesn’t share your stance on copyright law. This especially the case on the Internet, where a lot of net real estate is in fact located in the US.

To some extent, you could argue that the US has had a track record of exporting it’s intellectual property rules. This was the entire reason why TPP (the trade deal that never passed) caused so much drama. Apart of the fact that it would be damaging to things like the doujinshi industry, it was also projected to cause medication prices around the world to go up (there are a lot of countries that don’t give a **** about US patent law and won’t pay royalties to US pharma that invented the drug).

It’s a significant moral grey area.

In either case, the stance of US law is that in unauthorized derivative works, there is no such thing as “translator’s rights”. They have no rights to intellectual property they did not own in the first place.

The picture is different if the derivative work is authorized, but in this case we are specifically talking about unauthorized derivatives. If a TV show decides they want to have their actors sing a cover of an existing song, or even mention something like McDonald’s or include a Disney logo in a scene, they must obtain the rights to do so or else risk get sued.

DCMA’s are grounded in US copyright law. Therefore, if a publisher (whether it be yen press or qidian) sends a DCMA notice to a US web host claiming there is a unauthorized derivative work that infringes on US copyright law (eg. manga scanalation), the DCMA obligates the web host to take it down.

This is the current status of the issue.

Sharudeis likes this.
  18. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link

I wish people read my posts in a thread before posting in a thread. Wouldn't that be awesome?

There's all kinds of wrong here, so I'll go over it again. First off, 172 countries signed an international treaty called the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works - including the U.S. in 1989, over a decade after the law that refuses copyright to unauthorized derivative works. Local law takes precedence, so the treaty won't hold up in a U.S. court, even if the U.S. put a signature on it. That said, the other 171 countries party to the treaty, in the absence of any relevant local laws, must uphold the clause that states a translation is recognized as a significantly transformative work that earns its own copyright protection, regardless of the original copyright involved. This is what we call an "international standard."

China, actually, is not one of these 171 countries. It has laws about derivative works already - laws which grant copyright protection to them regardless of the original copyright involved, the complete opposite of our backwards ass U.S. laws and in line with international standards. Hooray for China!??

DMCA's are grounded in U.S. copyright law because they're DMCAs, which only fucking exist in the U.S. ... Other countries have DMCA-equivalents which are grounded in their own laws. When you want to file a takedown notice in an overseas country, you work with their laws. Not U.S. laws -- no one gives a fuck about U.S. law outside of the U.S.

DMCA's are also particularly troublesome because they have a very shoot-first ask-questions-later attitude. Even if you have every right in the world to be hosting your translations (because, for example, a contract with Qidian gave you that right) they'll still knock you down without bothering to ask for details like that first. Hence hosting on U.S. servers.. notsogreat?

The "current status" of the issue is that WuxiaWorld and Qidian are both based outside of the U.S., in a place with way better copyright laws. And even if they weren't, it wouldn't fucking matter because those translations were authorized to begin with.

asriu, ThunderGod and Sharudeis like this.
  19. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    @Westeller, did you get a chance to look at the Berne Convention document itself? You should get it a read when you get a chance, because I was taking a look at it, and I think it's a lot more complicated than the way you represented it. Furthermore, you kind of mentioned it yourself, but the document itself contains a section allowing local laws to take precedence/reservations.

Another thing is that the Berne Convention is extremely specific about translation rights. I think something that is easy to misunderstand is that the Berne Convention is specifically written foremost to protect the rights of original authors and content creators. Derivative works and modifications of the original work actually take second seat.

I'll summarize and quote from the most important sections.

The right of translation is initially held by the author of the original work. They continue to hold this right, and may give it to whomever they wish so long as they continue to hold the rights on their original work. Since it is an exclusive right, authors may grant and revoke that right if they choose.

Not really related to the translation discussion, I quoted this here to demonstrate (as most people are familiar with), in order to make an anime adaption of of a literary work (for example), the author has the exclusive right to authorize this (or not authorize it). If the author refuses, a company does not have the legal right to make an adaption on the original work.

I thought this article was especially fascinating, because as far as I'm familiar with this history, the US originally did not want to enter the Berne Convention in its earlier iterations, because "Moral Rights" is a very strong component of US local copyright law, but this concept did not really exist on an international scale.

The fact that "Moral Rights" is included in the current Berne Convention document kind of signals to me... I have a feeling like this section was added and amended into the Berne Convention when the US signed in. I'm guessing the US must have stipulated this as one of their conditions. In either case, this article is extremely US-esque.

----------------------------------

^I need to put a section break here, because this is where the translation-specific articles start getting complex.

If somebody want's to translate a work, they must obtain a license. The license doesn't necessarily have be obtained from the author, so long as a huge laundry list of criteria/exceptions are met. For example, after three years (or whatever the local law is) have passed after the publication of the original work, anybody(*exceptions to this) can obtain a license to translate even if the author has not explicitly granted it. The corollary here is that technically, before those three years, nobody can do a translation unless the author has explicitly granted permission. This is just an example though, and this section is really complex so you should go read it yourself. There are procedures for what to if the original author is unknown, or if the original author is anonymous.

There is also the US-equivalent of "fair use" clauses in the Berne Treaty document. This is, as far as I am familiar with, the best argument protecting non-authorized derivative works in court. Off of the top of my head, non-commercial, educational, and works of satire are explicitly protected under US law. Commercial translations, unfortunately, are not.

This article breaks down what to do if the original author denies a license to a translator. The translator still has opportunity to go around the denial, and circumvent the original author to obtain a license provided certain criteria are met.

----------

tdlr;
    Under the Berne Convention, the right of translation is initially and exclusively owned by authors. If somebody wants to translate their work, they must obtain a license. If a license is granted by the author, there is no issue. If the author is not available to grant a license, or the author refuses to grant a license, the Berne Convention describes exactly what limited conditions a translator can obtain a license to translate. These conditions are limited, and there are many situations where a translator would not be allowed to translate.

Once the translation is made (under a license), the translator possesses ownership of their translation (but not the original work, obviously). The original author cannot confiscate, claim total ownership, or seize the derivative translation UNLESS (as described by US-style "Moral Rights") the author believes that there has been modifications to his/her original work that displays the work in an unfaithful/derogatory light.

However, if the translation is made without a license (aka unauthorized), technically all of this is void (unless the translation was made under a fair use clause).

asriu and Sharudeis like this.
  20. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Should this thread be closed? It might not have spiraled down to ad hominem, but caution is always a good thing. :hmm:

If not, continue. :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

Sharudeis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.