Spoiler GO AWAY! ROMEO!

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by lostross, Jan 11, 2023.

1. WinnieS

WinnieS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. I think Rosaline is a delusional parent. Like come on. How old is Mino? I think it’s selfish of her to throw such a young child in the midst of a cruel gathering such as that. She knew how vile the people are in there, yet she expect her young child to withstand that in the name of “making him stronger”? I think him being destroyed emotionally and scarred for life is a more likely outcome. I think considering his age, it’s the logical outcome. If she wanted him to prepare for the society, she should first enforce and establish a strong foundation in him. To know his self worth, to know that he’s loved, albeit just her alone as his mother. So that no matter what the society will try to do to tear him down, he’ll know better than to succumb to them. And her notion that if she became in power, no one will look down on her son is rather another delusion. Because let’s face it. In a society with that setting, it’s all about status. No matter how powerful she’ll become, the fact that he’s a child out of wedlock will always be the gossip of the society. Weather that will affect him or not will depend on how he’s being raised and how much he understands his own self worth.

2. ASocialAcademic

ASocialAcademic Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Created an account just to respond to this lol. I realize that there are a lot of interpretations of Romeo & Juliet but considering historical context by all intents and purposes it's a satire. Also like the plot is just hilariously silly if you think about it.
    • Romeo was in love with Rosaline and goes to a party to see her but then sees Juliet and is then immediately in love with her instead. They get married in secret the next day.
    • Juliet's cousin Tybalt challenges Romeo to a duel - Romeo refuses as he now sees Tybalt as his kinsman. His friend Mercutio, who isn't even a Montague accepts the duel because he's disgusted by Romeo's cowardice and dies when Romeo tries to break up the fight.
    • Romeo then kills his new supposedly precious kinsman Tybalt out of guilt??
    • Romeo gets exiled but before he dips he gets his dick wet with Juliet (I can rhyme too!)
    • Juliet's grief-stricken that Romeo's been exiled, doesn't give a shit about the death of her cuz. Her padre misinterprets the grief and thinks marrying Paris will cheer her up, because what 13 year old girl doesn't want to be married to someone 12 years older than her (not that we ever really know Romeo's age - but assuming Romeo's hotter than Paris).
    • Juliet's nurse who happily helped her get married to Romeo now happily tells her to forget the marriage and get some older (probably?) dick - cuz Paris is wealthy yo
    • Juliet turns to Friar Lawrence for help and obviously the only way out of this marriage is to play dead!
    • Romeo returns upon hearing that his lover is dead, proceeds to murder the mourning Paris and then kills himself over the girl he met and married less than 48 hours ago.
    • Juliet wakes up, sees her Romeo dead, and then kills herself over the man she met and married less than 48 hours ago.
    • The families see everyone dead and suddenly a centuries long feud is over even though so very many other people have died over the feud.
    Silly as fuck.

3. Zzdarkrosezz

Zzdarkrosezz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh I don’t really see any problem with this adaptation. I’m kinda excited to see Romeo take on the villain role. As far as ages go it makes sense for that time period. People died younger so they married younger.

4. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

It Is. They were a bunch of hormone filled kids. It was up to the adults to be responsible but they were too far up there asses about the feud. Funny thing Is no one knows what the feud was about. It adds another layer of tragedy. They were fighting for something they didn't even remember

I guess at the end they were too tired by all the deaths that they just said "it's over"

The tragedy wasnt the romance. It was a stupid feud that went on for far too long and took the lives of there young. The kids had to pay for the sins of there parents

I don't think it ws satire. Shakespeare works were clearly divdied into comedy, tragedy or historic

I mean yea it looks stupid and unintentionally comedic to us but people got married very quickly then

But also looking at the other comments yea roaaline was the one who got the happiest ending in the original lol

The author actively fucked up her life in this adaptation when she got the best deal in the og

Why roasline tho? Almost every other characters was more tragic then her. It reminds me of that novel where the MC reincarantes into the princess from the little mermaid who the dude married and shows her as a pitiful "poor her" character.

OI obsessions to make there MC seems as victimized as possible is astounding

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  5. Cheshirecat04

Cheshirecat04 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Best résumé ever.

You made my day

6. torte1315

torte1315 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yep precisely the reason why rosaline, even with her incredibly small role, is one of my favourite characters. she knew that nothing good can come out of cavorting with someone who sees everything in a rose colored lens, us against the world glasses. she stayed true to her initial vow of celibacy and lived and achieved what she wanted to do in the first place. she was one of the only sane, level-headed and realistic-thinking people in that wretched story, along with mercutio. i know this story is just a what if scenario, but for some reason the way that she’s characterized and framed as in this is just so…idk disrespectful to the og rosaline of shakespeare? notwithstanding the fact that all her decisions in this story brought about her being shunned by society and the detriment of her child’s upbringing. all for the sake of painting her as this “oh so strong badass fl who don’t need no man who will always win and live a happy life with her new husband and her child and everyone in high society respects her;” rosaline is none of the things the author tries to make her out as, because she’s already implied to be a strong and badass independent character in the og story because of her firm choices. and she’s happy with her life. plus she’s alive and didn’t get caught up into the shitshow romeo and juliet caused in the span of 2 days lmao.

i’d say i want to read it just for the heck of it, but portraying rosaline as such just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. not to mention the fact that i just really hate the story of romeo and juliet with a passion. the 11 year old in me is shaking with fury rn lol.

also, @theilikepie what novel were you referring to? the only novel i know of that’s remotely connected to the little mermaid is never saved you. not sure if that was what you were referring to though. mind giving me the title if it’s not that?

7. LostRose17

LostRose17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like I feel like a lot of modern adapters forget major characterisation of the characters of the play their adapting along with the fact that the play is a tragedy, a senseless tragedy that could've been avoided. Act 1 is the prologue and it literally spoils the ending and spells it out that it's a tragedy. Romeo and Juliet is never described as satire, it's a cautionary tale about how sins of the elders affect the youth. It might seem like satire to the modern audience (I personally blame Tumblr and twitter critics) but it's a tragedy not a love story or satire just two stupid kids caught up in their family's feuds even Mercutio who's not even related to either family dies because of it. Kinda weird for people to see it as satire when Shakespeare's plays are very clear in which genre they fall into. Of course the meaning is always open to interpretation but the genre is clear and it's never meant to be satire.

I mentioned in a previous comment that Roseline was the luckiest character in the entire play and the most willful woman too which is saying something considering there wasn't many women in the play with brief glimpses of Lady Capulet and Lady Montague along with the nurse. All of these women have some sort of traditional role where they essentially don't have much choice to do what they like. Similarly that's how we meet Juliet who's told by her father that she has to get married to Paris. Meanwhile Roseline rejects marriage and her role as a lady, wife and mother to remain chaste and it's heavily hinted that she wants to be a nun. Now becoming a nun in the medieval times wasn't all bad considering they had waay more freedom than a typical lady and were allowed to read and write along with other things while 'serving' God. Some nuns were even pretty influencial. Roseline chose her own fate already in the play and I should add that it was her who rejected Romeo not the other way around. Even the movie 'Roseline' though I enjoyed it, I still found it weird that she was some abandoned ex when she didn't even like Romeo in the first place and purposely chose to be pure.

I don't know, I personally found it weird to make the character who chose her path to be without men to end up with a illegitimate kid.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    sovokop, kaedeyuuki, lostross and 6 others like this.
  8. peach.pudin

peach.pudin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don’t waste ur time with her, she is always the same lmao once u accept that fact all the other post of her are going to be more fun to read

beazacha likes this.
  9. Aqua_the_idiot

Aqua_the_idiot my decisions are justified by my name

Reading List:
    Link
    I love you for this comment lmfao best thing I have ever seen today

10. LaMuerte

LaMuerte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoiler for Romeo?
    What's the deal with him? Why did he abandoned Rosaline? Did he know he has a child with her?

11. Vixelly

Vixelly Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s disappointing that it’s an original webtoon rather than a novel (not the Shakespear one) coz we can’t get spoilers! Lol.

Honestly, the art is gorgeous! The male characters are hot! Haha. It seems to me that Romeo here is keeping tabs on Rosaline so the likelihood that he knows about Mino, is high. It also seems that he still has lingering feelings for Rosaline. But he is still a jerk. I just want to see him chase after Rosaline and their son after all that happened. But with the synopsis, it looks like he’s going to forcefully take their son away and Rosaline’s glory for Juliet, you know what I mean? Anyway, Paris is hot and he cares for the FL and her son albeit deniably so I believe he is the ML.

I saw people commenting about the original Shakespear play, why it’s been trashed or something like that. Mind you, this is made, based off of that. It’s so obvious that it’s not trying to adapt every detail from Shakespear’s original so you shouldn’t bash this. Think of it as Romeo & Juliet in an alternate reality.

Actually, if you think about it, the original Romeo&Juliet tragic story is so silly, it’s so funny. But it’s still a very genius plot of history.

12. ASocialAcademic

ASocialAcademic Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I realize I'm just being obnoxious now but just wanted to defend myself that I'm not just some Tumblrette spouting shit she read from a meme but taking Shakespearean history in college. Again - it's totally open to interpretation, we'll never know the truth cuz he's dead but my reasoning for considering it to be a satire (outside of the silly plot) is outlined below:

How the play deviates from his other tragedies and tragedies of the time
    • Not only does Romeo and Juliet deviate in many ways from the tragic genre, the first two acts of the play are structured much more like a comedy. Shakespeare’s comedies often feature lovers being kept apart by misguided authority figures, just as Romeo and Juliet’s love is thwarted by their feuding parents.
    • Unlike other Shakespearean tragedies such as Macbeth, King Lear, and Julius Caesar, Romeo and Juliet is not concerned with a noble character whose actions have widespread consequence. Instead, the story describes the love between two ordinary teenagers.
    • Suggestive wordplay is another common trope of Shakespearean comedy. Romeo and Juliet opens with Gregory and Sampson making bawdy jokes about erections and virginity. The spirit of naughty fun is sustained by Romeo and Benvolio’s jokes in the next scene, as well as the Nurse’s ribald talk in scene three. The silly mood doesn't shift until Act 3.
    • Shakespeare’s comedies often involve disguises, as when Romeo puts on a mask to attend the Capulet ball. Only the play’s prologue, which has warned that the lovers’ are “death-marked,” prevents the audience from assuming the play will follow comedic conventions and end with the two main characters happily united in marriage.
    The definition of a satire "The use of the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues”. The integral word in the definition is or. A satire doesn't have to be humorous to be a satire (although like I said earlier 2 acts are filled with suggestive wordplay and silly puns) it could just be ironic or exaggerated...both of which this play has in spades.

Finally, Marlowe (who Shakespeare hated) had just released Dido, Queen of Carthage a tragedy where the protagonist kills herself after being rejected by Aeneas who she fell in love with at first sight. Shakespeare would have totally made an entire play satirizing this kind of love as a result, he was super petty lol.

And with that, I'm done defending myself, I feel like I gave enough of an academic explanation to prove I'm not just spewing recycled memes.

Author obviously either never read the play or doesn't care about character assassination ;) still it's been a fun read so far.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
    kaedeyuuki, vesperia, DOHere and 2 others like this.
  13. Leileya

Leileya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m a hardcore fan of Shakespeare, however, I have enjoyed reinterpretations of his works. Except Romeo & Juliet. I hated that one with a burning passion. To those of you who are bashing this reimagining because it doesn’t follow the original, there are many, MANY different versions of Shakespeare’s plays. From 10 Things I Hate About You with Heath Ledger (How to Tame A Shrew) to O with Mekhi Pfiffer (a modern spin on Othello). There are even versions that don’t even have the same title but follow a very similar theme.

To be frank, this is not that bad of a twist. And like someone mentioned before even one of the most beloved movies from Disney was based on a Shakespeare’s play, The Lion King and that featured THE AFRICAN SAHARA! Come on now!

To bash this because it doesn’t follow the original is ridiculous. First of all, the original play was a comedy. Yes. A COMEDY about how stupidity, hatred, etc. etc. can ruin not just the children but the family as a whole. I also will point out the reason it is believed that Romeo was older than Juliet. He might have had childish tendencies (coming up with the plan to fake their deaths) but I have no idea why people assume he was a child too. There are adults out in the real world who act VERY childish. It was more likely that he was older due to his experiences with life and how he acted and reacted to situations. Again, he did behave like a child at times but not nearly enough to convince me he was the same age. I’ve read that play dozens and dozens of times and never once did I think he too was 14.

Now with that being said, those of who who dislike it really should broaden your horizons and should understand that there are MANY reinterpretations of classic literature. House was somewhat based on Sherlock Holmes, heck a 90s children’s television cartoon series HEAVILY relied on Shakespeare’s plays. Gargoyles. I strongly suggest you look it up. MacBeth is a character, Puck is as well, Desdemona (Othello’s wife who dies by his hand out of jealousy), the three witches, even the love story between the human Lisa and the gargoyle Goliath was very reminiscent of Shakespearen romance. Being separate specie and all.

I for one like this twist. I hated how Paris was portrayed (again, yes he was an adult and Juliet was a child but marriages like that took place all the time. Look up in my comment as to why), hated how Rosaline was ditched. And quite frankly, Juliet and Romeo were entirely too selfish. Yes, they fell in love and they can’t help it. But they KNEW their families hated each other and once people started DYING, they should have looked at the bigger picture. Another reason why Romeo and Juliet aren’t seen as protagonists much nowadays. No, they aren’t antagonists but they aren’t heroes either. Kinda an everyone sucks here situation.

14. Plinky25

Plinky25 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Thank you! I know that there are of course hard core fans that can be open-minded and not critical, but I believe it is true that majority of any fan base that are hardcore followers, can be extremely critical over every detail.

The thing with the webtoon is that I imagine the author/artist was clearly inspired by Romeo and Juliet and wanted to create a different point of view or a “what if” story. So they made a story based on Romeo and Juliet with basically an entirely different plot on it’s own. Some may argue that if the story is so different, why not just make an original story/characters? But the author would still want to have the time period, style, etc. If the author said it was an original story of theirs and didn’t mention anything about Romeo and Juliet, I’m sure that would have caused an issue since people can sense the similarities and accuse the author of copying. So this reinterpretation is fine.

lostross likes this.
  15. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

But rosaline was never ditched. She's the one who rejected him

Well, in that hit you miss: she'll not be hit
    With Cupid's arrow
    ; she hath Dian's wit;
    And,
    in strong proof of chastity well arm'd,
    From love's weak childish bow she lives unharm'd.
    She will not stay the siege of loving terms,
    Nor bide the encounter of assailing eyes,
    Nor ope her lap to saint-seducing gold:
    O, she is rich in beauty, only poor,
    That when she dies with beauty dies her store.

Are you sure you read the original play

Also Romeo and juliet was published as a tragedy in the first folio by members of his own troupe

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Folio

It wasn't a comedy, shakespeare didn't intend for it to be a comedy , people at that time didnt see it as a comedy, historians with phds didn't see it as a comedy yet here we have ms someone who got all her info from a tumblr post saying it's a comedy.

Yes of couse we should trust your word over the expertS. Cause people dying just screams comedy right. And oh that ending monologe really had me laughing on the floor

You really have no idea what your talking about sheesh. Hardcore fan my ass lol

One google search proves almost 80 percent of what you said wrong

You want to enjoy a mediocre wattapd fanfic, be my guest but lol don't try claim it's anything like what it's based off of

I think most people wouldn't have a problem with this if it didn't vinalliize or lobtomize every other character

Evem Gnoemo and juliet is a better reimagining of r and j

And the original rosaline would make this one cry

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    IsaacaHawke, torte1315 and datagirl like this.
  16. RakaSarkar

RakaSarkar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any spoilers please?

17. Zzdarkrosezz

Zzdarkrosezz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m fairly certain that this one is an original so there are none unfortunately.

18. wolf6969

wolf6969 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And what do you think sheltering Mino would achieve? Do you think that he doesn't already hear whispers and people disparaging him for being a bastard from his own family? Do you think that if she keeps him locked away in his own house that will somehow build confidence in him? Or will it further solidify in his mind that there is something wrong with him and he needs to be kept away from others? I think that she is taking the right action here, introducing him into society so early, because he doesn't quite understand what's going on yet so it doesn't affect him as much in the sense that he isn't as afraid. When he is older, he will understand how much people look down on him and hate him for being born so that will just make him more apprehensive and fearful. Also, why do you think that she hasn't already been working on establishing a strong foundation in him? The fact that he is so fearless and doesn't cry when they enter the hall full of strangers who look down on him is proof that she's been building him up behind the scenes. The whole story is about how if she gains enough power, then even if people still whisper about him behind his back they will still have to bow down and listen to him. She knows that no matter what she can't erase Mino being a bastard, but she can gain enough power that people would not be able to disdain him to his face and so that he can gain a good standing in society.

torte1315, its0k and Pearl1995 like this.
  19. Mrockz

Mrockz Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please spoiler

20. Sinistertwist

Sinistertwist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly, there's a large emphasis on how ridiculous and stupid everyone really is here. The feud itself was more or less portrayed as foolishness, as it was basically two families engaging in a generations long dick swinging contest.

Romeo was foolish because he was just some stupid guy trying to get laid. It's implied that he had a tendency to get super obsessed over a woman, then forget about her once the challenge was gone or he found someone better. As such, there's also the implication that he would have gotten bored with Juliet if they were allowed to be together.

Juliet is foolish because she didn't think about the future really either. She was a child and an emphasis was made about her youth - as well as that she generally lacked the emotional (and physical) maturity to really be in a relationship.

The nurse is foolish because she flip flopped so much. She seemed to treat the whole thing as sort of a game.. until she realized that Real World Repercussions were coming to roost, at which point her response was to toss everything to the side and go back to the status quo. I think she assumed that one or both of the titular characters would lose interest?

Then there are the families. Each exemplified some type of extreme. Montagues put an emphasis on being simple "salt of the earth" people. Capulets went the opposite, as they were all about the opulence. They were basically Tom and Jerry, Itch & Scratchy chasing each other around. Both were over the top in how they went around things. Even when the parents find their respective children dead - as a result of their feud - they still try to one up each other.

I mean, at the end of the play the Prince basically tells the families that their stupidity and need to one up each other resulted in too much tragedy. That they "fucked around and found out". Their response? They sort of switch places on their stances, but still kind of try to one up one another.

Capulet: Let's shake hands now and be cool, it's what the kids would have wanted.
    Montague: Totally. But now let me just say: solid gold statue of your daughter saying how awesome she was.
    Capulet: Sweet, awesome. But I'm going to do the same thing, but of your son!
    Prince: ...yeah, you two just go talk this out amongst yourself and decide who is more to blame. Just don't forget that this bickering is what lead to your kids unaliving themselves.

The play is a tragedy, but also sort of parodies how stupid and self absorbed everyone really was here.

Elliana, lostross and torte1315 like this.