Good books for becoming a better analyst and writer?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Thesilverderp, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Thesilverderp

Thesilverderp Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m looking for good books that either dive into how to analyze fiction/stories (and by proxy, make you a better writer by being able to constructively analyze books you enjoy/admire) or books that directly tell authors how to write better. I understand there are plenty of these, but I thought it was more useful to ask here then elsewhere. It would be nice if the books are easy to digest or short, but I understand if you recommend a long one that’s very good at breaking down the subject. Not for me btw, asking for an author friend.

Oof_Ash.Here likes this.
  2. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For grammar, I like "Grammar for Smart People".

Then most prolific comic book writer in America and novelist Chuck Dixon said that the only book to ever help him to write was "Backstory" by McGillen. It's a collection of of interviews with Hollywood screenwriters.

I've found that most books about don't help as much as reading a breadth of non-fiction and observing & listening to others. Personal experience helps, too. Time spent reading about writing is better spent actually doing it.

Otherwise, give the software Scrivener or Microsoft One Note a look and good luck to your friend.

Oof_Ash.Here and hansora like this.
  3. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    What comes to mind is the book "Writing" by Marguerite Duras
    It's a story of what writing means to her coupled with advice for writers.

Oof_Ash.Here likes this.