Grammarly Premium

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Ram5, Aug 8, 2019.

1. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    Because it's not in English.

2. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you mean to or from asian language? Remember there are names like Ruby or Sandy... and in asian languages all names actually mean something, like the bright moon is Ye Hao or something of the sort.. Basically, the fact that machine translators translate them is normal.

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  3. Kotohood

Kotohood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I paid for Grammarly premium for a month to try it out.

You are better off using that money to pay someone to spellcheck for you. Cause it sure as hell didn't help me much.

Anra7777 and SquadCammander354 like this.
  4. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I just ignore when Word Choices and Passive misuse or integrated text came up. They won’t really affect your writing quality that much.

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  5. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TeX is all you need. Takes a while to set up but that is a pretty good time investment.

6. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    all in all, grammarly is a glorified spell-checker with the ability to give a slight amount of input on sentence structure. I wrote many correct sentences with improper grammar or typos and it didn't pick up on a single one of them.

prowritingaid on the other hand catches everything, and I mean everything from spelling to grammar, to readability, sentence and paragraph length etc. you get specific reports for what your looking to fix. you can even put in custom style data and it will recognise your writing style and warn you when you write something that doesn't fit your writing style.

7. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    Grammarly premium is good for essay, articles, columns

Not stories, I suggest either dont depend on grammarly for them or try to be very careful on what are you editing in it

8. LowerTierDragon

LowerTierDragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Premium's just fine for stories; the problem is that it's an advanced tool, and you have to have the experience and capability to use and (more importantly) discard its suggestions. Baseline "red" suggestions from Grammarly, the ones you see in a free check, are pretty straightforward alerts on syntax and grammar. The "yellow" Premium suggestions usually cover voice, tone, consistency, diction, and other things where if you don't know your personal preferences you can end up turning something into a schizoid mess if you slavishly accept them without qualification. A fair number of them also turn out to be "I'm just pointing this out, but you'll need to figure out a way around it yourself" (run-on sentences being the easiest callout in this category).

Premium's also unhelpful if you just leave it on default settings because the default is tuned to "marketing copy" and not fiction-writing. Plenty of people who try it screw this step up and then badmouth it because they were too lazy/incurious to actually look into the additional panels of settings you get in Premium. It's definitely not a "do all the thinking for me" type of deal.

If you still see a lot of redlines in base Grammarly, I would highly recommend not getting the Premium just yet. If your redlines are few and far between, you're reasonably comfortable with your own "voice" as an author, and you want to go to the next step in refining your prose with the understanding that your judgment will be tested, then give it a whirl. It's still not a magic bullet, but it can help in breaking some bad habits and call out bugaboos you may not be aware of (like repetitious word choice).

namio likes this.
  9. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    had both. Grammarly saves my ass most of the time but prowritingaid saved me first. I guess I went more into grammarly since it was convenient to use and many times prowriting stops for no reason. So I just use whats available.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  10. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Prowriting is good when it's actually working and checking. In my cases, its always have an error of some sort.

11. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you use the plugin? because they updated that a while ago and so you have to instal a new thing and remove the old one. It hasn't ever stopped on me when using but most of the time it's a copy paste from a file only needing about 5000words checking. I rarely make errors during normal commenting and so the plugin doesn't see much action in day-to-day activities xD

12. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    This grammar hamster hates Grammarly with a passion! They actively make fun of people who care about grammar, even though their own grammar isn’t very good!

Hey! Hey! *waves sword menacingly*

13. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually use the web online version since the desktop app didnt really work (unlike the grammarly one). I will look up into later. Maybe it was just a bug.

14. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel iffy about grammarly just from seeing the advertisement on youtube. There should be a lot of places in the internet where you could get free English lessons or if you only want a helper as you write your stuff, the advice of those above will help.

well, the romans did it better.

15. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you would need a team of hamsters to replicate

16. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    I need no team! (╯°Д°)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

17. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, did you make special keyboard, hamster-sized?

18. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    I am a magic hamster. All keyboards fit me! The fact that I peruse NUF solely on my phone has nothing to do with it!

sgrey likes this.
  19. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are very universal hamster with seemingly magic for everything. Truly a marvel

Anra7777 likes this.
  20. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant the browsers plugin that runs alongside your other plugins for when you are typing away at the interweb xD I don't use the Microsoft plugin because my Microsoft office suite expired and I refuse to pay for their software when I'll use it maybe 3 times a year. I use the WPS Office which is basically a free, cloned version with its own nifty chrome browser-style layout