GT, 17k, and Zongheng megamerge thread

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Overclock, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cinabre

cinabre ♭♬ ♪ ♮♫ # ♩♭ ♪ ♮♫ #♩♭ ♬ ♪

Reading List:
    Link
    Dear @Qidian, I really do not understand how you can publish translations that do not belong to you on your platform.
    You are a professional company for the publication of webnovels.
    The first rule is to check the freedom to operate of the material you want to market, right?
    Now, you say you did not do it just because ... You trust the contract you have with WW?

But you have stated here that @rwxwuxiaworld is not trustworthy in your eyes:
    - on the one hand, you accuse him of publishing on his platform unlicensed novels.
    - on the other hand, when @rwxwuxiaworld asserts that the translation rights belong to his translators, you say that you do not trust these statements and that you have never seen these contracts.

It is very clear that you do not trust @rwxwuxiaworld, so why didn't you take 5 minutes to inquire and check who has the rights for these translations? Having a contract with a commercial partner (especially in whom you do not trust) nevertheless obliges you to check the freedom to operate of these translations, it is just the base of your trade!

Either your attitude is really very unprofessional or you knowingly host translations that you do not have the right to host. Which is it?

In any case, you are warned about the possible non-legality of your double-hosting. You should at least contact translators and check. By continuing, do you not expose yourself to the crime of concealment?

2. Vultix93

Vultix93 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think he can't check the contract because the NDA thing, so he is probably speaking from his ass

Pizz0011 likes this.
  3. podlizurko

podlizurko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He is representing one party of the contract , so he can obviously check it. NDA are in order for the details to not be disclosed to a 3rd party.

4. Vultix93

Vultix93 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The previous PR guy didn't even check the contract and was spouting nonsense no stop

5. cinabre

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't understand. Ren made public statement about translation ownership. It can't be under NDA. :blobconfused:

6. Pizz0011

Pizz0011 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Pizz0011

Pizz0011 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i wonder if GGP got money or was offered stock from the iop lol

8. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    From the gossip news , Qidian bought 90% GT shares for high number of 6 digit us dollar.

9. kaisersose

kaisersose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We don't know if he got all cash tho

10. podlizurko

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats because Ren can show the contract for him contracting translators and international law not being some secret. NDA's exist to cover minute specifications to the terms negotiated.

11. cinabre

Reading List:
    Link
    So this should not prevent IQ from knowing who owns the translations ownership rights, it just doesn't have access to the details of the contracts?

12. podlizurko

Reading List:
    Link
    QI has always known who owns the translations rights , this is just a big pile of bs. Even when they dmca'd ww recently they had contacted atleast one translator in the meantime to get him to sign away his works.
    FYI QI is one of the sides between the nda , so they know what the nda covers.

13. WarStalkeR

WarStalkeR Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Translators will do what they want, because QI can't do anything about it. If QI will do something about it, translators will just move on and QI will be left with a pile of untranslated novels.

Qidian links already banned at the Reddit. Ad-wall was bypassed in 30 minutes, after it appeared. What Qidian will do now?

Oh, and do me (us) a favor: remind the Yenwen or whoever sits on top, that this is Internet and not some random Chinese internal network controlled by government. We do here all what we want. QI can either accept it and move on, or go back under their rock that they came from.

Vultix93, Sebastian5 and Alfik0 like this.
  14. TheOnlyRavenbrand

TheOnlyRavenbrand Death Knight - WW Supporter

Reading List:
    Link
    Except for the fact that GT pretty much said that. They first said that Pipi explained it poorly. Which means there was miscommunication between GT and Pipi which created a misunderstanding of what was going on. Except for the fact that they later said that it was due to their efforts.. Not 17k that they took down content. Now you tell me of Pipi misunderstood what was happening or not. In fact you don't need to.. The proof is in the post. Pipi stated it was because 17k was doing a legal crackdown of their licenses... The fact is that they did not and it was all on GT.

Either someone is lying, someone misunderstood what was happening or what Pipi said was the truth.

I'm banking on Pipi misunderstanding what GT told them. I'm giving GT the benefit of the doubt from their own words.

Edit: Bold in your quote.. That is exactly what a misunderstanding is... You made my case for me.. As Pipi saw that it was because of 17k..except Pipi misunderstood.. It wasn't because of 17k it was because of GT and what they thought they should do.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  15. Vartio

Vartio The original Toyota Lernlaw

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me correct my misinformed friend here:

You (Qidian) gave them a right to publish as part of your deal with WW. So they publish on the site they trust - WW. They're honestly doing that. People are donating to them to keep translating in general. Not specifically your novels, but any novel they translate. This action's already covered by law - namely the people who profit off streaming video games on Twitch.tv. They stream game content, allowing those who haven't paid to see the games. You don't NEED to pay to see their streams, but they do include things like sub only streams, etc. Basically similar premises, since most people watch them for specific games.

Here's the correction: While you can't do anything about them patreoning, you can feel free to break your contract with WW, take away their publishing rights, and they'll stop translating altogether. Then you need to hire people with your own money, which, let's be real, you're already struggling in profits considering what we now know. Not only that but you'd need to find idiots gullible enough to 1: learn Chinese which is considered a cursed language amongst those who do know it who live outside China; 2: Be dumb enough to work for you (in short, be completely misinformed about your company's practices).

And said translators would need to start from chapter 1 all over again, as the novels are not fully translated, and hence as part of the contract Ren cannot and will not give you the contract without the translator's approval.

As such, you can't really do a thing about it. I mean, let's be real, if companies could do you think they'd let Patrons offer custom artwork of any videogame/anime/tv show/etc character? No, but they have to. Because there artist patreons who do patreons like that. You're in a no-win argument here.

P.S.: also if stealing fan-material was legal you'd think Capcom would have not had to go through the legal tape of approving Street Fighter x Mega Man (look that up) so they could officially endorse/publish it, but yes, they had to.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  16. Logicsol

Logicsol Proud owner of a Toyota Lernlaw

Reading List:
    Link
    No, they did not.

They said he explained it poorly. Significant difference.

You're not getting the idea here.

Let's say that I run a translation site and have a TL named Bob. I've been in negotiations with 71k for 8 months to license the novel that Bob works on, but they've been asking for more than I can give.

Those negotiations are reaching an end and it looks like if I can't secure the license, that's the end for the foreseeable future. So I pull out all the stops to try and get the license.

I then tell Bob, directly as possible, "We're taking down the translation to try to show good faith to increase the chance of getting the license, because if we don't get it in this round, 71k isn't going to let us continue hosting it."

Bob understands that there isn't an active take down request, but since he's been able to work on this for a year without it being a problem, he views this as a shift in 71k's policy, and saying they are cracking down when he writes a post explaining the novel being taken down, as well as laments that he found the previous terms offered unfair, complaining that the only thing that's disrupted his ability to do this is 71k.

I don't think Pipi misunderstood. I think he's frustrated and termed things how he sees them.[/quote]

17. ungas1232004

ungas1232004 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Apparently, it was not a gossip.

Vartio likes this.
  18. Linden

Linden Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @BadQidian talking shit again? damn

19. kenkenkang

kenkenkang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why isn't Qi responding anymore?...
    Wanted to ask them more about the translation schedule of wdqk...

20. kenkenkang

kenkenkang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.