Recommendations Harsh World For the Protagonist

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by GDLiZy, Mar 30, 2019.

1. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Failed breakthrough, the death of loved ones, separation from family, inevitable tragedy. I wanted to read novels that the Protagonist actually had to fear the Antagonist for they can easily bring suffering to him and his family. The setting should be extremely hostile to the protagonist, actively aiming for his life.

The life of the Protagonist should be almost always in peril, having to hide from the danger of the enemies constantly. The situation he was in should suppress his control over his actions, forcing him to become stressful and paranoid. He could have a good background or great strength, but the antagonist MUST have something that could contend and suppressed external help, making nobody other than the Protagonist to help himself.

There should also be lasting consequences or impacts from his decisions, either it ended in tragedy because of his naiveness or ended in provoking a stronger enemy from his arrogant. Also, a big plus if the Protagonist has some existential crisis or moral breakdown. Conflict in philosophy is also welcomed.

TLDR: I wanted novels where MC had to experience tragedy and grew as a character, changing his world view and becoming more experience as time passed. The life of the MC should have some setbacks that had lasting consequences.

2. Halmista

Halmista Doctor of Books

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Yunchii

Yunchii Best Waifu - Tamamo-no-Mae

Reading List:
    Link
    The Dungeon Seeker.... MC got NTRed, pushed into a dungeon, got to fight everyday just to survive, make deal with god to go outside for a while, found a girl only for the girl got killed by former childhood gf, got transfer back to dungeon, last manga chapter I read he currently fight against that bitch ex.

No idea where's the current novel translation is. The novel basically revenge theme where MC gain power just to kill. don't expect MC emotional improvement since he and his ex both become a psyco

4. kurousagi4242

kurousagi4242 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is probably off-topic/not a novel but dororo (its an anime) would fit the bill

5. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Otherworldly Evil Monarch is a good fit. Constant threat from the kingdom first and then the Sacred Lands, creating a fake master and knowing he doesn't have proper backup and that they can aim for his family (which they do multiple times), he's quite hard pressed as he rises from a trash young master and his mortal world aristocratic family to a colossus that surpasses Sacred Lands.

ReplayHERE likes this.
  6. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmmm... gonna recommend a Royalroad one, it is kind of popular ?
    Kinda half you want. The world is a shit hole with quite a fair shair of villains, MC is near death every X days but somehow the village that accepts MC is a nice heaven. *Didn't read far* But somehow MC survive everything and no tragedy occurs ? Soooooo yeaaaaaaah kinda not sure you want it.

Savage Divinity

Beside the fact that the world is shithole, the fact that made stop reading it is that i was spoiled that despite the fact the bunny loli/girl (that THIS FUCKING ANNOYING MC KEPT REJECTING FOR SHIT REASON = Nope. She feels like only a sister to me.) became his fiancée, he don't have sex with her AT ALL. So yep, MC kinda got trouble of personalities, near became a devil cultivator or something, is drunkard and visit brothels.

7. Har D Rai

Har D Rai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Astaroth likes this.
  8. Freezy

Freezy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sovereign of Justice

9. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
  10. JIKI

JIKI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    female MC:
    gomen ne onii-sama

male MC:
    your and my asylum
    re:zero
    Hai to gensou no grimgar
    Do You Think You Can Run After Reincarnating, Nii-san?
    Nejimaki Seirei Senki – Tenkyou no Alderamin

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  11. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Renegade Immortal, until maybe 800 chaps?

Technically the world never stops being hostile to MC, but MC just gets too many powerups and becomes too OP for it to matter...

12. GDLiZy

Reading List:
    Link
    Monarch didn't interest me.
    The others are good.
    Already dropped.
    Read one of his novel and was told that all of them read almost exactly the same.
    What kind of personality? I don't mind evil MC.
    Already read all of them.
    Heard that the MC is kinda bland.
    Gomen ne Onii-sama is ded.
    Your and My Asylum didn't interest me.
    Re Zero is also boring.
    Already read Grimgar
    You Can Run Nii-san is ded
    already read the Nejimaka

13. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Reincarnator?? Though he’s op etc but environment is harsh (didn’t read past 300 something chapter)

14. Halmista

Halmista Doctor of Books

Reading List:
    Link
    Jujutsushi Wa Yuusha Ni Narenai
    Throne of Magical Arcana - though this one had the MC's life turn for the better after working hard for it.

15. JIKI

JIKI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you should update your reading list:, because none of these are on your list

You Can Run Nii-san: translations are dead, but raws aren't.

One more:
    Fate/Zero

16. GDLiZy

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I bought the book version of it so I didn't mark it here. I also can't read raw.

I watched the anime Fate/Zero and I don't think there is any significant difference.

17. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a ... normal man i guess ? Just that he is quite a decent person.

GDLiZy likes this.
  18. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    Pursuit of the Truth/Beseach the Devil. If you read ISSTH, you should have heard about The Devil. From what I see, you read ISSTH, so I will summarize it like this. The closest thing would be the combination of blood war arc + add 9th hex arc and make it darker and more tragic. That is more or less how this story feels.

GDLiZy likes this.
  19. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Thread like this, I would said every cultivation world are harsh world where people killing and stealling for power not to mention cultivators also used baby and people soul as magic tool :blobangery::blobfearful::sweating_profusely:

degenerated world :blobowoevil_horns:

20. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A Deadly Secret
    This particular book was inspired by the real story of a man who was imprisoned on false charges just so that a landowner could steal his fiance. It's all about injustice and the evils that people can commit so it should be right up the OP's alley.

The Deer and the Cauldron
    This is the best book on NU so everyone should read it. It's a wuxia novel where the protagonist starts weak and stays that way so he has to use his wits and his luck to survive as opposed to beating people up. While he does command a fair bit of authority, he's always the underdog and he suffers a lot of setbacks.