Discussion Has anyone noticed something about Tappytoons?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by theilikepie, Dec 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whenever a group starts translating a shoujo/josei manwha and it fulfills two categories

1. It semi popular
    2. Its on kakao

It gets liscened and appears on Tappytoons in a week or two, then gets dropped by the original translators (which is kinda dissapointing ngl). Look at there manwha. 90 percent of them had previous translations done by non profit groups

It makes me think that translators are combing through mangadex for future licenses

I'm tempted to translate one or two chapters of a random kakao manwha to test this out

Rumby, Wujigege and chamchaworld like this.
  2. draw2much

draw2much Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Almost 100% sure someone keeps tabs on what's popular, but not necessarily on Mangadex. I know it's a big site but there are aggregator sites too. My guess is they keep tab on Mangadex and a few aggregator sites to gauge potential popularity for English speakers.

They've also brought over series that, as far as I know, never got scanlated. Humorously enough, I rarely find those interesting enough to spend money on. Maybe it's because they don't have enough free chapters available for me to make me feel strongly enough about spending money on them.

I wouldn't mind them using scanlation sites this way, but would it kill them to at least be up to date with the series? It's annoying knowing there's 60+ chapters of the original already released and only 15 available in English on their website, with a slow slow trickle of 1-2 chapters released a week....

I spend about 25$ a month to read 20-23 comics that update every week. For the amount of content I'm consuming, $25 is really cheap. Certainly it's worth spending to support the authors.

That being said, they keep bringing over more comics and I'm gonna go broke

asriu likes this.
  3. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Or maybe scanlators pick popular series.
    Koreans and Westerners having similar tastes should not be a surprise

4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    free market test
    that good thing
    convenience thing da problem lay on how good is da product sell later

on the note shoujo or josei which target female sell more than shounen thingy
    sure based on title shounen win but if you see comic store there more shoujo than shounen section hence it is safe play to pick shoujo than shounen if ya wanna make cring cring

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.