Discussion Have you stopped reading webnovels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by philosopher17, May 19, 2020.

Tags:
?

Have you stopped following webnovels?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    61.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philosopher17

philosopher17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There was a phase when I turned to web novels from published english novels - primarily from discovering the live translations of coiling dragon and mushoku tensei and then was addicted to this pulp genre.

But since the rise of webnovel, and barring the occasional korean and japanese web novel which would spark some interest, I've found myself losing interest in the translated asian webnovel genre.

I've once again returned to reading published works, and realized today that I hadn't read a webnovel in over half a year and didn't feel the urge to explore any new one. Have you gone through a similar phase?

2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    New webnovel, no.

Ongoing webnovel, yes.

Shem and Aforia like this.
  3. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    not so long, but yes there are weeks when I just simply just watch movies, or play games, or do some other things.

4. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    Original things like on scribble and royalroad I used to love to read now I cannot stand to look. Normal novels that are fan translated I don't have an issue with but oh boy do you gotta go through popular trash.

5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I've started MTLing them since almost all the existing TLed ones aren't to my taste. Even then, the total no. of webnovels I'm reading hasn't crossed single digits, thanks to my pickiness.

6. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not webnovel but i've experience something similar
    like when you stop watching anime then watch some drama, then changing from japanese drama to korean then chinese ones

7. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I havent stopped reading translated webnovels but i am reading less of them.

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    stop? nope~
    it this cat snack and this ca like snack~ of course it kinda boring so up and down thing~
    just usual thing~

9. markc209

markc209 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no but I read so many and drop so many at the same time,I tend to lose interest after the first 2 arc,web novel tend to have horrible pacing after the first arc and have no direction

10. blues86

blues86 [Pickle's numba wan follower]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I have the similar experience. I stopped reading webnovel about 1 years ago, but then reading them again for two months. Then I stopped again until now for about 3 months. Maybe because I prefer playing games or watching anime or others for now.

11. JrX

JrX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    About a year ago I realized that I'm only reading one webnovel unlike back then where i can finish 200 chapter in a day or two and jump to another LN. I dont know when but I stopped reading LN and just focus my attention to manga. Right now my time looking for something to read is longer than actually reading a LN.

kingtaoist likes this.
  12. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I read them less because my standard is getting too high for even printed-quality.

Skaistise and vlue like this.
  13. Megatron

Megatron Decepticon

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah man, I've lost the will to start and finish most novels. It's the same old cookie cutter bs whether its Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.... all the same.. maybe once in a blue moon you'll find something interesting but then it'll get dropped lmao. Now I'm back to reading Sanderson's novels and loving it, doubt I'll have the patience to read another line of "YOU COURT DEATH, TRASH!!!!!!@!@!#!!!!" ever again ffs

kingtaoist likes this.
  14. Loislalion

Loislalion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only have a small handful of series that I keep up with. Might start reading actual books again...

15. Skaistise

Skaistise Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stopped reading wn whenever the novel has finished or reached the latest update. I would need time to collect the pieces again, reread them a few times and took a break. It might be a few weeks or months, till I found something that piqued my interest again.

16. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I became very selective for sometime and focus on anime and kdrama. Sometime I was like I have enough of this shit but I am currently reading around 10 ongoing novels.

17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In a way my standards have increased and I've gotten better at identifying writing I don't like and why I don't like it. At the same time though I'm reading at roughly the same rate as ever before and the kind of material I'm reading is also mostly the same. My favorite genre is still historical novels and for that non-Chinese books simply can't compare. Right now, I'm more negative on Japanese web novels than ever before, and I'm pretty sure I have a good grasp on why so many of them are so bad. Still, what I like about these books (especially the isekai ones) hasn't gone away so I still read quite a few of them. The difference is that I'm a lot faster at dropping them nowadays but I'll still try new ones.

18. kingtaoist

kingtaoist New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah. if you are looking for fantasy books, sanderson's books is the way to go. and just like other people, my standards for books have increased tremendously and i've gotten much pickier as the years went by. i easily drop novels that i used to overlook back then and kept on reading even though i was already annoyed about something-- whether it be plot holes, inconsistencies etc. now i drop them as though they are sharp and painful objects as soon as i start to dislike them.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  19. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    I stopped for a year, then went back. Now I'm still reading but only finished/completed webnovels, not ongoing. Huehuehue

20. Aserty

Aserty New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.