Discussion Have you thought about... Genders? (Inv, please... just stop.)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Prinny the Magican, May 12, 2018.

?

What gender?

1. Male

2. Female

3. Gender-bender

4. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer Male to Female Gender Bender protagonists over plain female ones and plain female over plain male.. while FtoM GB doesn't work for me at all.. As far as sexual/romantic orientation goes, I "prefer" for the partner(s) to be female, regardless what gender the protagonist is, but yaoi is definitely no good..

2. Easykiln

Easykiln Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually don't care about the gender of the protagonist at all as long as there are no male love interests. That kills it for me no matter what for some reason.

I low-key think of myself as agender in real life because being a man is all restrictions, pressure, and nothing I find positive, and being a woman is fine minus the social disadvantages but I just don't relate at all. Better to opt out. Sidetracked, but I mean... I'd be happiest to see a protagonist who is like me, it's just not very likely.

3. abstractDecay

abstractDecay Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >people falling for bait
    >people baiting
    >in novelupdates

This is so sad. Can we stop?

GDLiZy likes this.
  4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats:

@Welcome to NUF! ^^)/

5. RozenKristal

RozenKristal NUF gender bender Emperor -> Queen

Reading List:
    Link
    I only read Chinese ones so the context is in CN.
    From what I have read so far, for some reasons, male MCs always horny. Female MCs romance mostly silly. So it is up to the authors' writing skill to prevent the novels becoming trash. I like GB most of the time though. At this point, it is more about a good author and plot than what gender the MC is.

6. geddotaku

geddotaku Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started off really liking Demonic King Chases His Wife because Su Luo seemed cool, I just hated the ML's personality and that there was an entire mini-arc of her running away from an enemy until he could come along to save her.

The further along the story went, the less I liked the ML with the MC, so I just kind of stopped reading.

Also not a fan of many female MC stories having authors that think that a woman cutting the MC off in traffic means the offending woman needs to be raped as a punishment. So many stories seem to think a fitting karma for opposing the mc on anything means that the woman should be raped.
    MC "I'm stealing your fiance!"
    OW "I need to save my engagement."
    ML "Take OW away and have her gang raped. Nobody opposes my girl and gets away with it."

TLDR Love Female MC's, hate violently abusive male love interests and all the rape that seems to be used as punishment in their stories.

7. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    I Love Gender Bender series.
    More like... I want more of them!
    Where is all the good gender bender series gone?
    I haven't seen much of them lately.

RozenKristal and King0Mik like this.
  8. Mahou-nii-sama

Mahou-nii-sama Ultimate Cannon Fodder

Reading List:
    Link
    Female MCs or gender bending (female to male. Male to female is overdone right now, I want something new.), I feel like well-written female MCs lack proper representation. I believe there's a myriad of outer and inner conflicts when it comes to female MCs, and they haven't been explored yet.

9. King0Mik

King0Mik 【An Actual Idiot】

Reading List:
    Link
    I generally prefer female MCs over male MCs, but I read both.
    I would say that I have a bias towards female MCs since I'm willing to humor myself with shitty Mary Sue (probably self-inserts) novels until it's too cringy, and I need to stop reading. On the other hand, I practically avoid the harem tag like a plague because most stories there feel like male wish fulfillment, which I can't really relate to; there are some novels with male MC harem in it that I did enjoy though, but they are so few that I could enumerate them.
    As for gender bender, I'm up for either way, and I generally enjoy those novels.

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno, I think shoujo represents the teenager's mindset (with some exaggeration of course) well enough.

Josei does a very good job at representing mature women IMO... Overall, I think they have been pretty well explored already.

11. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    I read and even write Male MCs since i can't understand the life without a penis. But i also read a few Female MCs, one with a romance type, the cold beauty type or the 'i'm stronger than a man that i don't need one' type. But after reading the reverse type(it was a korean manga about a girl who was saved and became a butler) and i was hooked in reading till the end. After reading a few korean mangas about that genre, i became more hooked in shoujo mangas.

12. RozenKristal

Reading List:
    Link
    can we be friends? I know a lot, but not many groups willing to translate them. Also, many good ones belong to Qidian -_- Besides Qidian, there is a page call sfacg, it is kinda like Qidian, last I check they have 730 pages of GB novels, that around 7300 novels.

Female to Male always turn out, or most of the time, danmei.

13. LivingCorpse

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, I don't really read CN novels.

14. RozenKristal

Reading List:
    Link
    :(((((

15. LivingCorpse

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't be sad, we can still be friend. It's not like I hate CN novels, it just a matter of perception.
    After all, the culture of Gender Bender transcends across nations.

RozenKristal likes this.
  16. RozenKristal

Reading List:
    Link
    lol XD okayyy

LivingCorpse likes this.
  17. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think what you are looking for isn't gender but demographic.

Certain stories will interest certain demographics.

Hard boiled detective story with a jaded by life protagonist who breaks the established rules of society while holding on to his principles. A normal guy forced to be incredible because the bad guys couldn't leave him alone or he couldn't stand watching the world burning around him while everyone else cares only for themselves. Then maybe the very hot and sexy women would find him more interesting than the pretty boys because he is the "good guy" with depth and all that burning love behind the rugged exterior.

That's a story for men and young men. It's obvious because almost every guy would spend sometime thinking about it. "I am a normal guy but I can be incredible if I wanted to. I just don't do it because I wanted a normal life."

18. Yagisa

Yagisa Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really have a preference when it comes to the protagonist's gender. It really depends on how the writer fleshes them out and makes them distinct. That being said, I do tend to go out of my way to search for novels / books with a female protagonist in genres that don't have an abundance of them being put in protagonist roles, and vice versa.

19. Expami

Expami Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer Male protagonist for the same reason of yours though I don't really despise novel with female protagonist if the story is really good or if the main character is enjoyable.
    A perfect example would be Kumo desu ga nani ka or Evil God Average.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.