Discussion [Healthy Life] Diabetes Mellitus

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Anaurel, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gadget

Gadget Demi-god of magic and science

Reading List:
    Link
    Noone of the above, but I should be more carefull about what I eat and move my body more (Eiffel 65 "Move your body" just came to my mind)

2. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I made an account just for this but it is actually possible to cure diabetes dispute what the doctors say. This may seem like a hoax but it isn't because I'm not advertising any expensive medicine or anything.several people I know who had diabetes got rid of it by changing there diet, taking some vitamin supplements and a little bit of exercis. If anyone is interested check all4naturalhealthdotcom/how-to-cure-diabetes

3. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    An except about GI (it's imprtant for a DM to choose hi/her food well), choose a food with low GI (<80)
    Read the rest at: www.fao.org/3/a-x2650t/X2650t02.pdf or www.fao.org/docrep/w8079e/w8079e00.htm
    It kinda old, but is sufficient for most purposes since it include many GI of commonly eaten food in the world.

The Glycemic Index

The blood glucose responses of carbohydrate foods can be classified by the glycemic index (GI). The GI is considered to be a valid index of the biological value of dietary carbohydrates. It is defined as the glycemic response elicited by a 50g carbohydrate portion of a food expressed as a percent of that elicited by a 50g carbohydrate portion of a standard food. The glycemic response is defined as the incremental area under the blood glucose response curve, ignoring the area beneath the fasting concentration (i.e. the area beneath the curve). The standard food has been glucose or white bread. If glucose is the standard, (ie. GI of glucose = 100) the GI values of foods are lower than if white bread is the standard by a factor of 1.38 because the glycemic response of glucose is 1.38 times that of white bread.

Common Western Diet:
    White bread 101±0
    Cakes 87±5
    Cornflakes 119±5
    Apple 52±3
    Rice, white 81±3
    Ice cream 84±9

----

Are Diabetes cureable? Rather than 'cure' I more tend to use 'controlled'. DM main problem is a disruption of normal bodily function in regulating blood sugar. If you control the blood sugar so it didn't reach a level where the it can cause problem (>200 mg/dL), then you are safe. Either by dieting, yoga, exercising, or whatnot.
    Just keep your blood sugar above 70 and below 200, guys.

Common American and West European based diet full with refined food is unhealthy.
    Eat more wholegrain food, reduce the red meat, eat more vegetables and fruits, and exercise daily.
    I personally found Western Foods to be to oily and fatty for my taste. But I still like the salad (with low fat mayo).

Kyubey, GM_Rusaku and NekoMK2 like this.
  4. NekoMK2

NekoMK2 Lazy cat, [self proclaimed GM_Rusaku Disciples]

Reading List:
    Link
    what a useful thread, i am still in my study thought but this one just few ago become main subject in class
    as for now days age DM become something akin real threat to everyone after all this Sickness really afflicted heavily by our lifestyle (Diet & Activity) while there other factor too who can't be change no matter what (like Genetic, Race (seriously) ,age (normally 45>) and some history when you still baby (baby with 4500 gr> or premature with <2500) )
    some one who have obesity have high risk factor to become DM patient since this can make Insulin Resistance happened
    as for the different between DM 1 and DM 2
    DM 1 : you already afflicted from child or some age from birth, normally early age since this one really heavily heritage. the problem came from the organ who produce Insulin unable/less to produce insulin resulting the in body hard to get Glucose
    DM 2 : at first your body is normal but something wrong happened to your Organ who produce Insulin or The cell who become resistant/Insensitivity to insulin so it make harder for insulin to enter
    all in all this sickness can be avoided if you lead a healthy life :D
    i have read it and thank for sharing this. yeah kinda understand about it, but must take a note there only for someone who affected by DM2 and still at early stage, for someone with already heavy broken organ who unable to produce Insulin any longer no other way than Insulin injection and this goes to DM 1 who like this from beginning.
    as side note we (i still not yet) Doctor must never give Insulin injection first to patient but trying to change their lifestyle to become more healthy

5. GM_Rusaku

GM_Rusaku Neptune-sama's Devoted Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading all this, I'll make time to use the threadmill and run for an hour everyday before going to work. I'm a big consumer of white rice and even if my parents warns me I eat the fat of pork and now I think I need to change some food habits of mine.
     ∧__∧  
     (・ω・。)
    o┳o )~○
    ◎┻し'◎

6. Yukkuri Oniisan

Reading List:
    Link
    You can still eat rice. But choose the unpolished one.
    You can also eat pig's fat. But don do this everyday. I think 2 days a week is reasonable, but please don't eat more than 3 human fingers size fat. You can clog your artery silly.
    Eat more vegetables. Reduce fried food. And burn those fat. The simplest one is stop using elevator and climb the stairs (5 floors is enough), or do a sunset walk/jog while eyeing the passing ladies.

NekoMK2 and FlowingSong like this.
  7. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    ..... I thought... this was a spam bot who got through.. I'mma go to work now! keep up the nice discussion.
    Side note: My sister has diabetes.. ;(

8. FlowingSong

FlowingSong Otome Isekai Reader and Trash ML Hater

Reading List:
    Link

pffftt fs will have a hard time then xD

9. Invinzilean

Invinzilean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well we have hereditary Diabetes in my family ( Diabetes Mellitus Type-1) , and there's a ~5% chance that my kids will get it even though im not affected. That kinda sucks...
    My sister nearly fell into a comateous state when she had an sudden outbreak with 9 years old
    But Diabetes is quite easy to control once you understand how to handle it, my grandma will be 89 in a few weeks and she had it for 63 years :D

10. Yukkuri Oniisan

Reading List:
    Link
    That's right. People with well controlled Diabetes can live normally with no dangerous macro or microvascular complications for many years.

11. GM_Rusaku

GM_Rusaku Neptune-sama's Devoted Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems I do have to change... been eating 2 1/2 plate of rice everyday and for pigfat sometimes trice a week and it's over 3 fingers..

12. Anaurel

Anaurel Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    for insuline type, its 2 times atm, at first its as u said (critical condition), then changed to long type reaction insuline
    the problem is the doctor, they didn't allow patients to change their insuline type easily even when I said my father condition
    blah blah blah the doctor don't give any solution too, they keep giving the same type insuline (long reaction type) and my father said its good enough
    so yea my father's blood glucose range is 80-400 for whole day and he still said its fine
    my father had taken HBA1c test and the result is hopeless (yea the doctor said 'hopeless') so he will life with insuline help with the rest of his life

my father keep doing tests, any yeast based, tuber vegs, seasonal fruits, and corn starch have high carb and will make my father's blood glucose skyrocketing

as for my lifestyle, nothing changed much, I love high fiber dessert, low sugar food (I don't like it too sweet), and not oily food
    but the most problem is, I go to work everyday even before I met sun and go home when its moon say hello to me
    but luckily (must I said this?) I'm not into office desk type, field based I guess?
    and I took most of my time using breathing exercise to help a little at my condition

13. Anaurel

Anaurel Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its not absolute and precise, if u consume high fiber food and exercise, I guess that's not pose too much problem

and ofc your BMI (body mass index), it depends
    for more precise information, go to dietitian

for other notes, I find it amusing, western and eastern medical treatment for diabetics is lot of different
    for western = make your blood glucose under control
    for eastern = use sugar to control it

I can't listen chinese, it's on tv show and its popular

14. Yukkuri Oniisan

Reading List:
    Link
    @Anaurel
    Well, most doctor tried to not tamper with insulin regiment too much, since too high insulin and you risk hypoglycemia, too low insulin and the blood glucose will still higher... It really hard to adjust the needed insulin... Hopefully someone will invent a more convenient insulin administration regiment. A team of German and Japanese scientist are building Automatic Insulin Injector, so it will administer the needed insulin when the blood glucose is high (like after eating). Don't know when this tool released to market, though...

@GM_Rusaku
    Like Anaurel said. The amount of carbohydrate needed to be adjusted with your lifestyle. If you are a pencil pusher in some office that sit on your workstation 8 hours per day, then you don't need that much energy than a person who need to hike 4 km for their works.
    You can calculate your daily Estimate Energy Requirement:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1784117/
    Or if you are too lazy to make a spreadsheet from it, just use online calculators like this:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned

For comparison 100gram of cooked rice is about 130 calories and 100gram of pork fat is about 280-420 calories and the cholesterol is between 30mg-120mg. (don't eat more than 300 mg cholesterol per day. It's not good for your heart and blood vessels)

Well... I don't know if this is effective since after conduct quick searching on Pubmed I don't find any journal examine this efficacy

GM_Rusaku likes this.
  15. Anaurel

Anaurel Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yep it's on tv show so the authentic is doubtful, the speaker is traditional practitioner and he didn't use western term all along his interview (heck my chinese is way beyond help and I only know the word he said 'sugar is another way to treat diabetic')

for automatic insulin injector, a doctor (one from my father 'past' doctor) said there's a tool like a belt that automatically inject insuline, as for the details, I didn't ask for it except the price is around @2000 for the tools only (not insuline, needles, and other misc. )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.