Question Help me make sense of it! Please!

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by golfapichai, Nov 5, 2018.

1. golfapichai

golfapichai Member

Reading List:
    Link
    在那可以看得见的世界里,从这一头到那一头,城市在摇晃,下沉,融解,无限广大的空间跟大海一样在抖动。

东方,是极其剧烈的爆炸,南方,是子弹横飞,在天顶,则是一排排开花弹,好象没有底脚的火山一样

For the underlined part, I can't make sense of them no matter how long I try.

Thanks!

2. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    在那,可以看得见的世界里,in the world that can be seen (with naked eyes)
    好象没有底脚的火山一样。i think this sentence is mainly focussing on the effect that caused by a volcano eruption. so something like -
    as if an invisible volcano erupted

3. Alenstarl

Alenstarl Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope you understand the context of this because I just looked up the full passage since it seemed poetic and it is a “deep” read about the French Revolution, specifically around the time of the Reign of Terror and the counterrevolution revolts of Vendée and Chouannerie. Basically this is almost impossible to accurately translate. It’s from a novel that is very philosophical, poetic, and translated from French. Only thing I can do is provide an extremely limited interpretation.

The first part I believe is just describing the carnage the narrator sees either for all of France, Paris, or Brittany. I think the underlined part refers to his literal scope of vision where he can see the uproar of the counterrevolution.

The second part I think is a reference to the multi front war the republic is engaged in, which is what the 3 directional violence (Prussia, Britain, Spain, Austria) alludes to. The underlined part probably describes that despite everything around them, the situation within France between the republic and counterrevolution is compared to having a volcano beneath them. There’s danger everywhere around France but that’s different from what France has to deal with internally, which may be the biggest danger.

In any case, could be very wrong but I tried. Very curious as to why you are reading/translating this.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    SisConEcho and golfapichai like this.
  4. golfapichai

golfapichai Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just.....Wowwww!!!!!

It's just a scene where monster-battle squad fight with alien in Ultraman fanfic. Never though it could go so deep.

Still, Thank you very much!!

5. Alenstarl

Alenstarl Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You’re welcome. That makes a little more sense lol. Pretty interesting the writer would quote or copy a passage from that book.

6. VeraH

VeraH eternally lazy

Reading List:
    Link
    For the first part, (I'm translating based on my understanding)
    在那可以看得见的世界里,从这一头到那一头,城市在摇晃,下沉,融解,无限广大的空间跟大海一样在抖动。
    In the world that can be seen (I think it means the area within sight of the poet), from here till there (from the poet to the limit of the poet's view), the city is shaking, sinking, falling apart(?), the space that is expanding without limits is trembling like the ocean.

The second part,
    东方,是极其剧烈的爆炸,南方,是子弹横飞,在天顶,则是一排排开花弹,好象没有底脚的火山一样。
    To the east, there are violent explosions, to the south, shots are being fired relentlessly (横飞 I think is more of 'all around and without aim' like "bullets blindly flying all around" or "shots blindly fired" but it sounds weird idk), in the sky, there are rows upon rows of shrapnel (it should refer to shrapnel bombs being stored in/released by bomber planes flying in the sky), like a bottomless volcano (personally I think this refers to the sheer amount of bombs that are released causing destruction wherever they land like a volcano that erupts without end and the lava it ejects destroying the massive areas of land) (basically it describes the endless and wide-spread destruction brought forth by the bombs).

golfapichai likes this.