Resolved help with a phrase, need sound good. 单反穷三代,HIFI诛九族。 know the meaning but need sound nice.

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by xiazixin, Jan 21, 2020.

1. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    单反穷三代,HIFI诛九族。
    it means that photographing and HIFI both took a lots of money.
    literally translations : single lens broke for 3 generations and HIFI killed Nine tribes.
    the phrase enhance the HiFi is more expensive than photographing but also making sure to convey the message that photographing is expensive.

similar to this kind of grammar 桂林山水甲天下,陽朔山水甲桂林. means that Kweilin and Yangso are both beautiful in the world but Yangso is better.

similar to 单反穷三代,HIFI诛九族。it says that both cost a shit tons of money but HiFi cost more.
    so how do I write it in English?

SLR broke three generations, HIFI kills nine tribes.
    SLR broke a wealthy while Hifi reap a nation.
    SLR cost a shit but Hifi cost 2 shits.

I'm open to suggestions, since meaning is out, it's open to everyone even non-translators and editors.

2. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    SLR caused a family to be broke for 3 generations while HIFI bankrupted 9 tribes?

yeah. I cant read more than half the words in the phrase

I searched 诛九族 on pleco and apparently its killing of all relatives...
    so maybe HIFI exterminated the entire family?:cookie:
    or 9 generations of the family:notlikeblob:

xiazixin likes this.
  3. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess I would translate it as:

"Photography may be an expensive hobby but if you get serious about HIFI, it could bankrupt you."

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    nyamachi, Fuyuneko and xiazixin like this.
  4. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Is literally killing every one who is near your family trees. Let say you got 诛九族, all the way from you great great grand parents and the siblings the entire generation and the descents will be killed.
    You wife's grandparents and grandparens siblings and decents will be killed.

If you have other child that married and the married family will also be killed. There is usually more than thousand of people mass killing when 诛九族. Let say the standards every family have 4 to 6 child and you got 诛九族 roughly 3000+ people will die.

Edit:
    It is safe to say that all the people that have some thing to do with your blood line will die. And people that have some thing to to with you will die.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  5. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    Buy a camera, go bankrupt for a day. Buy HIFI, go bankrupt for a lifetime.

Rather than stay literal, integrate an English saying.

nyamachi, Bakaturq and xiazixin like this.
  6. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    9 branches of the family tree?

7. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah,but not only your family trees but also other family that have marriage relationships with your families, they will also gets cuts. And your wife's family tree, and your moms family tree.

In the worst part is, there is no escape. That's why you see in dramas where no one in the family flee, even they are far away relatives whey won't escap.

That's why you see older documents and drama where the family of thousands of people line up together. None escaped. 诛九族 are only directly order by the Emperors.
    And in acient China they place the Emperors above their family and blood line. That's why there is a saying 天下君亲师。they place the Emperors above their own parents. If the Emperors wants they dead, they are willing to die. Which sounds stupid.
    And Emperors have influence in the whole China. Which there is no escape.

Amaruna Myu likes this.