Discussion Highly overrated novel

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by AndyDarren, Aug 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. AndyDarren

AndyDarren Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Second Coming of Gluttany

I seriously can't wrap my head atound why people praise this novel like it's the second coming of Jesus.
    I read this novel all the way up to chapter 80 and got fed up and dropped it.
    The novel was definitely worth 5 stars in the beginning but everything changed when the plot armour attacked.
    From the beginning all the way up to the end of the tutorial, which is where everything started going downhill imo even though I couldn't see it at the time, the mc was slowly developed into a character I expected great things from. Little did I know all those "great things" would be accomplished based off of pure luck, THICC plot armour, and the sacrifice of others.
    As soon as the tutorial was over it was goodbye Yu Ilhan(from EER), hello Plot Paladin Gary Stu, the guy that can't make any proper use of his cheat because he has to keep it a secret for some reason.

Rather than sticking with the theme that made the tutorial arc so great, the mc meticulously training his combat ability ahead of the curve, the author decided to throw the mc into endgame content way above his level right from the getgo to the point where none of his meager skill counts for anything and therefore his growth is awfully stagnated.
    In this day and age we shouldn't be having main characters overcome powerful enemies by experiencing a sudden temporary burst of power just because they got angry.

I read(skimmed) through a couple of the recent chapters and the novel now reads like a lame JP isekai slice of life with a war going on in the background where at least half of each chapter is just side characters making cheeky conversation with eachother.

2. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Different person, different taste.

3. Renaxan

Renaxan [Ero Culture Enthusiast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice rant, atleast you didnt do this on review.:blobhero:
    I'm agree with you at most point, as im also stop reading at 92 since i felt same as you. I'm planning to read again tho in future, lets give it second chance.

4. CocoButter

CocoButter Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it happens. Some are popular and you can never understand why. For example Against The Gods, my IQ decreased reading this garbage but is still very popular and high on the list. We all have different tastes.

5. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the story, while it isn't interesting for you, it's interesting for others. :blob_coffee:

6. SifaV6

SifaV6 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the big difference is, the rating for Against the Gods gives a much more accurate and fair representation (4.0) at least when compared to that of Second Coming of Gluttony (4.8).

Having read up to the most recent chapter, I do think the current rating for SCG is overly inflated.

Konstantin and AndyDarren like this.
  7. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Sound familiar. I read a novel Dungeon Hunter and liked it a lot but I read synopses that sound like it and won't bother to read it because I know how bad it will be. So people brains mature and some degrade after read novel then there's nostalgia that keep people wanted more of the same.

Wujigege and AndyDarren like this.
  8. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    As has been said before, different tastes. For example, to me EER is a shitty repetition of plot armor. Everything always falls into the MC's lap just in time to use it, but because he's a loner somehow it's okay. I mean seriously, what kind of standard is "hello Yu-Ilhan"!? Is that supposed to mean something?

Dr_H_16, Wujigege and AndyDarren like this.
  9. Envoy

Envoy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reincarnation of the Strongest Sword God in Webnovel is one their best rated translations. I was curious as to why it was so highly rated so I read to chapter 700 something, which was about 90% of the translated chapters at the time and the more I read, the more frustrated I got. Some may be wondering why I read that many chapters of it, if it was that bad, well, I thought that there was something good about it. If not in the beginning, surely it’ll be good at the end, but boy was I wrong. On that week, my brain cells decreased by a good portion. I couldn’t even catch up to the most recently translated, I just quit.

10. Loyt

Loyt New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't that just your opinion? I agree SCOG rating is inflated, but so is ATG rating. I wouldn't give ATG more than 3, and only for first 300 and some chapters. That was my first cultivation novel after all, i wasn't familiar with ubiquitous cliche and awful repetitiveness of the jenre at the time, now xuanhuan, wuxia and xianxia tags are like red flags to me :).

Ratings on this site are unreliable anyway.

11. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Luck? I thought his power is maxed out seduction stat? The MC of Second Coming of Gluttony is more like a Bard from D&D where he seduces his way out of situations. If the MC was not the sexiest thing alive, he'd be dead pretty much every arc.

That said, it does have some redeeming qualities precisely because the difficulty he deals with, real life isn't an rpg where you move from easy stuff to hard stuff. And the fact that the MC can't save everyone nor is anyone flat out evil or good but simply looking out for their interests. (Though I do feel like the IQ of the non-MC people is a bit low but that I guess is common in novels).

To answer your question, what makes it stands out is simply that it has its unique factors and sometimes people want to read things that are different despite their ups and downs.

Wujigege likes this.
  12. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's ok. The first arc was good and then became generic, the good type of generic.

Wujigege likes this.
  13. Waske

Waske Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The tutorial arc was no different from any other Korean tutorial novel where we have op mc plowing through everything. It only got good for me after it ended and I liked it more after he entered the paradise where mc actually get to struggle. If you only liked tutorial because he trains on it then he does that later many times too.

As for other stuff you mentioned even the author himself made fun of that temporary boost of power. MC also realize that he was lucky to survive and trains harder to overcome it. There were few more side characters chatting lately but overall the dialogues had been great for me. As for the war, it is basically an end game content too.

14. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    There are way worse novels here on NU which have great ratings (4+) but are in fact garbage novels while some way better novels suffer with low ratings. Though many people can say that it all depends on preferences, but there are a few more objective ways to judge. For example, such garbage as Emperor's Domination and True Martial World. Plot - nothing more than standard "You dare! I am [insert title]. Kill yourself!" type nonsense; 0 reason to remember characters; nearly everything forgotten; resets....

Wujigege and ToastedRossi like this.
  15. Defiring

Defiring Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's because it has all the generic tropes you can think of but they're all well written. They're not just thrown at the reader and forgotten.
    That's basically the My Hero Academia formula.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. NU's ratings are useless, and it's entirely normal to find books that are rated way higher than they should be. "The Second Coming of Gluttony" probably is rated to high, but it's also probably less inflated than a lot of other titles out there so it's not a noteworthy amount of inflation. There are some absolutely dreadful books out there that have high ratings, and this book is only mediocre at worst.

chins4tw and Wujigege like this.
  17. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    There are several reasons why Gluttony is so highly rated. First, its a Korean novel. Korean novels overall have higher than average ratings due to their style. They basically combine JP isekai/game elements genre with Ruthless not dumb CN MCs essentially avoiding such pitfalls like CN novels massive length and beta JP MCs. This, in combination with good release speed lets it achieve high ratings.Good release speed allows it to appear high on the list which in turn acts as an add which in turn boosts ratings. Gluttony has quite a few problems though it is definitely not a bad novel, but it still leaves it highly overrated.
    When you think about it, release frequency is quite a big factor and place on the list are quite huge factors. Lets take Er Gen novels as an example (because he is probably the best known CN author on NU). Lets take his 4 completed (raws) novels (ratings): Renegade Immortal (4.2), Pursuit of the Truth (3.9), ISSTH (4.4) and AWE (4.5). Everyone I have seen who have read all 4 of these novels agree that they go like from best to worse: Pursuit of the Truth=>RI>ISSTH>>>>>>>AWE. However, ratings are reverse. If you judge based on readers, ISSTH and AWE have 3x as many readers as PotT and 50% more than RI. So that leaves a question WHY? One of the answers is that PotT is being translated by quidian and their paywalls are ruining everything. They prevent good advertisement.

Tpst, Rumby, Wujigege and 1 other person like this.
  18. expertsource10

expertsource10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Warlock of the Magus World. It's one of the most overrated, shittiest story. It's full of plot holes and meaningless arcs.

Varno and Wujigege like this.
  19. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I was just checking it out. I wasn't that interested but now there's no way I'm gonna try it. I'm glad I stopped reading web novels here, I just checked the rankings for new novels and what do I see. Korean novels like The Novel's Extra rated at 4.5. That trash, 4.5?
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    So typical for these novels to start awesome and go to the gutter after 100 chapters(not that TNE was ever awesome).
    You've read 700 chapters of a shit novel just coz it had a high rating(others said it was great basically)? Man that's both sad and funny.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Wujigege likes this.
  20. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just like "Everyone Else is a Returnee". The writing is so bad that I thought I was reading a fanfic.