Discussion Highly overrated novel

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by AndyDarren, Aug 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha, sorry to break it to you but alcohol tastes bad but people still drink it.
    Reincarnaiton of the Strongest Sword god is the same, If the novel was that bad you wont read 700 chapters without figuring it out.
    The novel scatches scratches an itch that you like to get scratched.
    It is not a shame to admit it.
    You dont have to like novels just only because they are literary masterpieces
    I think this is where I am supposed to add n'cest pa or something..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean "n'est ce pas?"
    And because I agree with what you said I will just add "Oui c'est bien ça" or something
    :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:
    ps: Why don't you just write "right?"

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Envoy

Envoy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t know about not admitting, but I do know that the freaking thing made me so goddamn tired with the unreasonable plot. Nowadays it’s hard for me to read much of novels that have the same unreal principles as that one. By unreal I mean author telling us the MC has the best gear you could only get a few months from now in the original timeline only for a villain to up the MC in terms of gear by the next second. The arrogant young master trope is also making me abandon 90% of the books I read, and the main character from Monster’s Paradise, at the start, why did the higher ups want his opinion even though he wasn’t even a hunter or whatever yet even though they were already in the celebrated ranks, this kind of thing also pisses me off, the higher ups barely know him for God’s sake.

4. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason for this is usually one of the two below.
    1. It is cultural, some jokes that the Chinese can't get enough of will just piss you off. https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/my-dad-is-li-gang-我爸是李刚
    2. You are consuming too much of the same type of novels. You forget that these are supposed to cost money and people would usually pay for one of the same types of books that they like . Also, sadly since this stories make the most money; the English webnovel scene is lacking variety since no one wants to translate a novel like this: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/my-castle-my-castellan/ and get 10 views a month instead of 1 million views
    My advice, take a break from novels. Watch live-action adaptations of the novels. Just like Japanese live-action, there are some things that are okay in anime or otaku culture that cant be transferred into the mainstream so they have to be dialed down in live-action media.
    I wish you the best.
    Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Envoy likes this.
  5. Envoy

Envoy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess you’re right, I’m going to expand my views by reading manga(more than just isekai), watching cartoons(Family Guy), watch movies(whatever seems interesting),and come back to a new hot concept in novels.

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I recommend live action adaptation of the novels.
    Or you can watch or read Jin Yong. His stories are quality over quantity.
    I won't recommend Family Guy.
    Humans are very impressionable. What you consume changes you for better or worse whether you like it all or not.

I recommend King of Blaze, Legend of Chusen, King's Avatar and Condor Trilogy.
    I prefer 2003 to 2009 version
    2003 Legend of the Condor Heroes
    2006 Return of the Condor Heroes
    2009 Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre

I don't envy current female actresses, thanks to HD you can more easily see blemishes and breakouts on their lovely faces :blob_coughblood:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    kkgoh and Envoy like this.
  7. Envoy

Envoy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Will try to watch those when I can, thanks for recommendation.

Wujigege likes this.
  8. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    every er gen and IET novel are overrated
    how dare you!

9. mhirra23

mhirra23 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel the same way. I tried reading it cause its on the top ranking. (That's how I came to read Trash of the count's family and fell in love with the story). So I thought I will also like Second coming of gluttony. The first few chapters are good but then I lost my focus cause the plot and character interactions does not suit my taste anymore.

10. Manasong

Manasong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, mate, have you ever heard of hate fuck? It's the same reason why outrage culture is a thing, sometimes you just feel like getting angry at something. Instead of going to bitch on the internet sometimes you go and read something you hate, something that's really really bad just for the self-inflicted pain, and then you release all that pain by shitting on the novel.

Wujigege likes this.
  11. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Awww ... you're missing the sick and offensive rape scenes that the author threw in later for pointless cheap titillation.
    Am being sarcastic. Yea you got out at a good time. MC becomes more and more like a shoujo. Already dropped it.

Always recommend people to watch Rick and Morty. Smartest, most philosophical cartoon ever.
    Family Guy is just dumb bathroom humor that was hilarious at the beginning, but got boring after 5-6 seasons.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    AndyDarren and Wujigege like this.
  12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree when it comes to book because unlike videos, it takes more effort to read books since you have to imagine it instead of being a spectator

13. Manasong

Manasong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I'm doing it with a novel. It just has a much slower burn than other things and you don't really have to read it until the end to be satisfied.

14. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed that we have to acknowledge other peoples' tastes.
    Webnovels (just like manga and other wide variety media) appeals to all kinds of people. Have to take it with a grain of salt and accept that not everyone likes the same thing. Forcing your own opinion on other people about what's good and what's not is a failed exercise.
    I've already given up on reviewing shounen-tag novels ... hard to convince kids who just want more Dragonball that what their reading is stupid :whistle:

BUT, let's also acknowledge that there are some basic lines that shouldn't be crossed no matter how varied your interests are.
    Pedophilia (usually a reflection of authors' sick fetishes), nonsensical rape (a serious topic but is treated in a very cavalier manner by authors just to titillate readers) should be banned. There's no place for it anywhere.

Another overrated story is "Lord of the Mysteries". I know there's a decent subculture of readers who REALLY like it, tried to match what their saying/reviewing to what I'm reading in the novel but been having a hard time. For some reason it's highly rated on Qidian too.
    It's actually impressive there's tons of wikipages covering that whole novel universe, tells you how vested those fans are. But the novel's just so badly written, esp in comparison to other classics like "Lord of the Rings" or all the other Dickensian novels.

On a side note, not sure why there's often a disparity for top ranking novels on Qidian and their corresponding NU rating. Differences in Chinese readers vs the world?

Wujigege likes this.
  15. BashAllShips

BashAllShips Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Comparing a web novel to classic Western literature like Dickens is stupid. You shouldn't be comparing light novels/web novels to well respected professional work, but instead towards its contemporaries. i.e light novel/web novel to light novel/web novel. Therefore comparing "Lord of the Mysteries" to many of the novels on this site, you will notice the quality difference when the author plans out a story, has a believable main character, interesting side characters, no repeated plots, and keeps power levels consistent. This will tend to make your novel stand out among others.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the English Qidian or the Chinese Qidian website, so I'll just talk about the English one. If you're talking about the Chinese one then I'll just contribute the differences to taste. Comparing NU to Qi ratings, the differences between the two ratings might be because people don't view QI in a favourable light thus instantly giving each QI novel 1 star. You also must remember that QI gives exp to anyone who writes reviews on their site. This means that there will be a lot of nonsensical reviews. You can just check any novels reviews and sort by new.

kkgoh and Wujigege like this.
  16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Like he said dont compare unpublished webnovels to published physical books
    even Munpia books are unpublished and unedited.
    Comparing it to published edited and fleshed out story is completely unfair.
    Although, I dont rate Lord of Mysteries that highly, I found the story boring and the protagonist too stupid and wishy washy for my taste.
    He isn't proactive for someone who is supposed to be on a clock and wants to go back home

kkgoh likes this.
  17. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know dude! But hard to disconnect from what you've read before :rolleyes:
    It's just annoying because you know author tried to copy the same style / reference material. I'd hope that it should be an improvement if it "pays homage" to earlier great literary works.

Tried to keep my ratings 1-5 relative to NU web novels. i.e. a NU 5 rating MUST be much better than NU 4.
    NU 5 is must read / worthy read, contains few mistakes.
    NU 4 is decent read, some acceptable plot holes.
    NU 3 is too many plot holes or egregious errors. Binge-read if you have nothing better to do.
    NU 1-2 is usually reserved for the pedophilia/rape/blatantly racist novels.

Already gave up on finding anything absolutely innovative. As long as there aren't any deal-breaker type plot holes or mistakes, everything is permitted! Sometimes a well put-together stir fried rice is better than shitty-tasting molecular gastronomy.

firefox1234 and Wujigege like this.
  18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to admit that it is very hard not to make comparisons when he called himself Sherlock Moriarty. On some level, it pissed me off.
    It is lazy plagiarism in my book.
    Calling himself Sean Morrison would have worked just fine.
    The Sherlock Holmes jokes were just bad taste.
    It was better than reading tsukkomi every sentence but lampooning is just as annoying.
    P.S. I am no book connoisseur and never read Lord of the Rings or Sherlock Holmes but from my little knowledge its annoying.
    Detective Conan was a bit similar but it was also original by combining two names from two different countries. It was also names of authors instead of characters

kkgoh likes this.
  19. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Thought of another one, Reincarnator. Damn that shit is overrated. Nothing is good about it, lone wolf who knows everything, can do everything and doesn't need anyone is one of the worst web novel recipees. Like the author got so incomptent he can't even write more than one character, not even the usual tropes.
    I just thought of something, why do we all think it's not okay to compare printed novels vs web novels?
    Editing doesn't change the core of a novel, if a web novel has one dimensional tropes, rinse and repeat story, no amount of editing will help it. Yet we accept that it's okay for them to be trash just because of the media they're on.

Saorihirai and Femme Fatale like this.
  20. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, a good editor can make an enormous change. The most simple work they do would be to fix the grammar and flow. They also give advice on how to improve the story, sometimes even adding or removing a small detail can improve the story. A story full of cliche and tropes can be enjoyable to read if given proper guidance.
    And even before all that for printing, you have to give drafts/manuscripts to publishers or agents who check them to see if it could be published, and web novels don't have this filter. Due to this, the author has to work harder. Yes, even printed has trash novels, they could be something that slipped the process, or miscalculated by agent/publisher.
    So one is a highly polished work undergone improvements and scrutiny and the other is just unfiltered content put out daily. I'm generalizing and not talking about special cases.

kkgoh likes this.