Discussion History humblest senior brother.

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Maraderchik, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Maraderchik

Maraderchik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What the heck with his infinity humble attitude to every single praise?

Someone1: Zhaoge, you're easily winning against #enemyname#. What a great achievement!
    Zhaoge: Oh, no, uncle you overpraised me! It's not that big deal.
    Someone1: *wtf are you talking about it's very damn huge deal*

Someone2: Oh, Zhaoge you cure this incurable disease, what a great achievement!
    Zhaoge: Oh you overestimate my achievement in this case...
    Someone2: *wha...? Is he serious or just trolling me, im damn first rate alchemist and never heard of this method before... little bastard*.

Soooo, why the heck he never take any praise just as normal people?:blobthinkingsmirk:

DiabolicGod, Beltran and Emmyy like this.
  2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbf if you praised someone and they unironically replied "yes, I am pretty amazing. No one else could do this as well as me, y'know?" you'd be thinking they were a prick or narcissistic. Novels might use more flowery and kinda fake "humble" statements that honestly don't come off much better, but the gist is supposed to be that they don't reply to praise like assholes.

3. Har D Rai

Har D Rai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well normal people do accept praise exactly like that. That's common courtesy....... else they are though of as narcissist

4. LuminaDawn

LuminaDawn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Low Profile?

uziex91 likes this.
  5. Maraderchik

Reading List:
    Link
    Like, when you get A+ and your mom praise you, usualy you says something like "thanks mom" and not "nah, you overprised me". This is normal thing imo.

6. Charles83

Charles83 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It mostly depends on the culture, I have never been to china, and i do not know anybody from there, my only knowledge comes from novels and stuff i have seen online, and from what little i have seen this looks to be the standard response in chinese culture. I know that in european and american culture there are more types of answers to this question from the narcissistic "yeah i'm amazing" to the humble one "it's not so hard/important/etc" or another one its the explanation one, "yeah i did find that but it was because i had access to these resources and i found out the technique in a ruin", most of the novels we read that are translated do not have this type of answer, i suspect that this type of answer its very unlikely in china, they go for full secrecy, never say any detail about anything, just go for standard polite humble answer #1, on the other hand in the west we have the explanation answer, explain a bit without ever touching on any important fact, of course in the culture that the authors write for their books, it is a culture of total lawlessness, going for full secrecy may end up being the right answer since anyone with the right ammount of power/money could simply kidnap you and torture you for your secrets Without suffering any consequences from the "Law" since if you are powerfull enough not even the government can touch you.

So for my part yeah its tiring seeing the character always answer with the same "humble" answer, but taking into account the type of world that the author have created it may actually be the only smart choice left, as I say before this could be because of how chinese culture is or it may be authors choices ( I suspect chinese culture because so many authors do it, it is practically everywhere)

Lazy Bookworm likes this.
  7. Maraderchik

Reading List:
    Link
    That's exactly what's irritate me to no end. I mean if every single time when your axhievement has been praised, you just say "oh, you overprised me", even if it's clearly deserved praise.

8. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk if it's a culture gap or another symptom of the collective disease web novel authors seem to suffer from that makes them all just ever so slightly brain damaged, but it is what it is. It's just meant to be a polite reply. Nothing more, nothing less.

DiabolicGod likes this.
  9. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    Instead of "thanks", "Oh, no, uncle you overpraised me! It's not that big deal" have longer word count. :blobsmirk:

DiabolicGod, MaliMi and uziex91 like this.
  10. Maraderchik

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh, how can i forget about this part of CN novels world...:notlikeblob:

fuzor100 likes this.
  11. starfyre7

starfyre7 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One thing you will notice when reading this novel that Yan Zhaoge loves the humble-brag. He is a very arrogant, but likes to come off as a humble, low-key person. So, yes, his style of speech is partly due to Chinese culture, but it's also due to his personality. Other characters do point this out every now and again, most notably Feng Yunsheng.

PlayerID, uziex91 and Emmyy like this.
  12. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    CN MC Low Profile Edition™ (y)

Emmyy likes this.
  13. uziex91

uziex91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because he's not "normal" people? :blobthinkingsmirk:
    Well, honestly though...even with all those humble attitude, I never saw him as an actual humble person. I mean, most of his actions are anything but humble. So I just saw it as him trying to be polite or something, or maybe it's just the norm there to give such reply even if it's just on the surface.

And I don't think it's exclusive to zhaoge, I believe some other character also reply in such manner when praised, especially by a senior.

14. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or you could simply reply, thank you (for the compliment) or laugh it off. Your sentence is a bit narcissistic, but true and honest. What they do is promote backward societal thinking. Lying to be humble and being "humble" as to keep within (retarded) rules you (they, whoever) set down is honestly retarded, offensive to the person praising you and dislikeable.
    Would you praise someone for something normal but admirable if they shut you down one or more times with the sentence "you are overpraising me, it is nothing"? No, cause it mocks/attacks everyone else who can't do that "nothing" and doesn't have very high selfesteem

my own opinion (and if you didn't notice, this is a little rant since I am also bothered by it)

Westeller likes this.
  15. Shadowhawkstar

Shadowhawkstar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty much like this, my parents will say something along the lines like why are you so cute/handsome, I'm like but I'm not tho. They get ticked off at me and say they can't even compliment me. I personally dislike getting complimented because I feel like I don't deserve it. Then agian I have low self-esteem and put myself down because I hate how I've messed up before because I used to think I was a big shot. Stuff along the lines of, such and such person isn't smart as me or isn't as good looking as me. So I just changed how I think and act because I've fell on my face before from hearing so much praise.

16. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that probably just means that you got high on some praise, became an arrogant asshole, fell down and noticed it and now need praise to get back to a normal level of self esteem
    you probably aren't really cute nor handsome, just normal (in your parents eyes you are probably both though)
    this is however another thing, since the MCs (in question) know how awesome what they did is but don't accept deserved praise. You may or may not be right about you not deserving the praise, so there it is another issue
    good luck getting high selfesteem again, though (watch some videos on YT about that, there are some good ones)

17. Shadowhawkstar

Shadowhawkstar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean people outside of my family have also told me the same thing (as in smart and good looking), so Im pretty sure they wouldn't lie, but I don't want to let myself get high on my own ego again. But according to everyone else I beat my self down. Maybe I do beat myself down subconsciously. But I get what you're talking about with the novel, that he doesn't really own up despite knowing it's a big deal. Pretty fun ngl to see people busting a vein from him trying to be humble.

DiabolicGod likes this.
  18. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    "Of course, what do you expect from a peerless genius like me? Don't you even think about it, you wouldn't be able to begin to comprehend my peerless achievement." :blobowoevil_horns: