Recommendations History Novel

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by ToastedRossi, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just about finished Rebirth of the Malicious Empress and I'm looking for a new book to tackle. I've read three giant Yue Guan novels already with the other two on my to-read list, and I'd love something in this vein. For those of you who haven't read him, his books are historical novels with super rich details and tons of flavor. I'd prefer completed Chinese novels with or without translation, but Korean or Japanese titles are fine as well as long as they're proper historical novels. Please provide a brief description of why it's good, and what time period it takes place in.

2. Deleted member 43009

Deleted member 43009 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Great Tang Idyll
    -Very Intelligent Protagonists
    -No Harem (OTP)
    -Management concerning bussiness
    -Likable personalities

ToastedRossi likes this.
  3. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
    -Sci-fi
    -Excellent big picture and small picture perspective
    -Shows exactly why crazy people are in charge and politicians are scumbags

4. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Sengoku Komachi Kurou Tan
    -the mc is a girl
    -she time-slipped to sengoku period
    -the girl have no power or cheat like ability

ToastedRossi likes this.
  5. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks. That's already on my list so do you have any other recommendations.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm looking for actual historical novels.

6. meiberry

meiberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The author for Rebirth of the Malicious Empress from Military Lineage, Qian shan cha ke 千山茶客, has other stories as well!!!
    Rebirth of Malicious Empress is her third story, I believe.
    She's currently working on a fourth one that is not completed, but the first two that she wrote are titled:
    1. 重生之贵女难求
    2. 重生之嫡女祸妃
    The first one is the first story that she wrote. The second one is the second, and the main female lead is a demonically beautiful girl who was tricked by her family and a prince to meet a gruesome death. Both are basically prototypes for 重生之将门毒后 (Rebirth of the Malicious Empress of a Military Lineage) though ... According to the people who read all of her works, Empress of Military Lineage is her best.

I started 祸妃 (the second story) and I'm at ch. 203... Honestly it is not as rich and colorful as 毒后, the author definitely improved on her world-building through the practice with two Rebirth genre stories, but I wish I had known about this older work right after I finished 毒后 because I loved it soooo much and I was so down from finishing the story with no more chapters to read. I had missed the characters so much after I finished reading 毒后... I would have been so happy to dive into 祸妃, which has many similar elements but is still different enough so that I'm not basically rereading 毒后.

Anyways, from what I stalked on her Weibo, her current work 嫡嫁千金 seems like a big hit. According to everyone, the male lead is the best of all her male leads, which I raise my eyebrow at because no one is going to be more handsome and amazing than Xie Jing Xin...

7. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Rebirth of the Malicious Empress is pretty good, but it's not much of a historical novel. The countries and politics are all made up generic Chinese countries, there's no sense of what period it's trying to portray, and it doesn't look like Qianshan Chake is all that interested in history either.

After I go through Yue Guan's long books, Jieyu 2 (孑与2) and Jiutu (酒徒) look to be pretty promising.