Discussion How can I get my big brother to shut up?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by efo, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your brother should stop complaining about the economy and start working out a plan. Political issues are a longer term issue.

If you are in school you really should be concentrating on that, but it's still wise to start planning for how you'll earn income in the future.

For suggestions (for him, you, your parents and friends) in an inflationary run, getting a revenue source that pays in foreign currency can be good as long as your country doesn't block it. Like developing websites, editing video's, writing novels, etc. for people outside your country. I'm not sure what countries allow work VISA's from Turkey, but your brother could consider if he can work in the EU or the Gulf states if possible.

Maybe he already has a plan and secure future, but I'd guess not or he wouldn't be so stressed he'd be harassing his student brother.

efo and Wujigege like this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean... You have the right to not care, and you have the right to not make conscious voting decisions.

I'm forced to vote in my country, and the economy of my country is definitely not in a good position either... What do I do?

I vote "None" in every election.
    I work in a job that pays in USD, so I leverage the fact that my country's economy is pretty bad rn (well, that's not the only reason I work with what I work, but it's one of them).

Do I discuss politics? No. In fact, I complained enough to my friends in our whatsapp group whenever they discussed politics, that they made a separate group just to have a place to discuss politics without me complaining about the fact they are discussing politics.

Do I discuss economy? No, I just appreciate that my salary is getting higher as my currency becomes weaker... And if the economy recovers and the currency gets stronger? Then I'll just deal with it in one way or another. Like finding a 2nd job or something.

Basically, you don't need to understand politics or economy. Macro issues are irrelevant to people's day to day lives... I think you just... Kinda have to talk more to him and try to make him understand that your own life won't be impacted by macro changes in general?

I mean, sure, if a gigantic change were to happen (like a civil war or a dictatorship or the like), then your life will obviously be impacted, but... Otherwise, it quite frankly doesn't matter. Not to you, nor to your parents, nor to your future children (assuming you want to have some).

I understand that you probably won't be able to convince him to stop caring about something that is important to him (and you probably shouldn't try), but I think you should be able to convince him that you have the right to not care about it~

3. Little Evil

Little Evil Hello o/

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno, this is for the vast majority of people very bad take. Most people feel economy as their jobs are harder to find and they end up with less money. You are still tied to the economy, just US one, which isn't looking good either rn.

Adults care about it because it affects them. And younger generations vote with feelings instead for economical stability, at least that seems to be your brothers take, so he seems to try and let you learn about what voting to who will do to your potential job one day.

He may be annoying about it, but it seems natural. My brother did it to me and Im annoying my sis rn about her liberal leanings on nonsense issues that would have real bad economical impact.

4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean... I just don't see how knowing anything about economy would ever help in any way.

Like... If the economy being bad makes it harder to find jobs... Okay, sure, it'll be harder to find jobs... Why do I care about knowing about the reason why it is harder to find jobs? If I have a job, then I don't care. And if I'm searching for a job, I'll keep searching regardless of how difficult it is.

And like, if the economy being worse ends up making things more expensive, which ends up allowing me to buy less things per month... Then I don't care about what is making things more expensive, all I care about is how much money I have at the end of the month, and how much I can spend on the next month on buying my basic necessities.

Basically... Even if the economy/politics do affect my daily life, I don't see why I should care about it. I just care about the consequences of the economical/political situation, because I can actually try dong something about them... But the situation itself? I quite frankly couldn't care less.

If anything, if I happen to overhear people badmouthing a given politician because of racist and/or homophobic remarks, then I probably will vote for the opposition just to try stopping said person from being put in charge, but... Hey, there's a homophobic president ruling my country right now, and no rights for minorities were removed, so... Even when a shitty person rose to power, politics didn't end up affecting my life much.

5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    If this thread gets political it will get blocked.
    You misunderstood @AliceShiki point. Her income is in USD so it is inflation proof against are local currency. US economical issues are irrelevant.
    Most things are traded in US dollars because it's the gold standard in terms of currency eg crude oil.

Also, national elections which have macro effects might not affect someone but local eg Mayor or District representative do have an impact.
    But I believe if you are rich enough, you can just migrate to a better country.
    Improving your situation is more plausible than expecting a politician you vote for to win and also keep his/her promises

efo and AliceShiki like this.