How can I stop NU Bot from uploading my translation?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by 8oni, Feb 6, 2021.

1. 8oni

8oni Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First time making thread here, I apologizing beforehand if I make any mistake. I seriously did not want to make any thread but I have search and I got none, and there is similar thread but it's about listing earlier chapter and the user is making MTL website and I am not.

This have some rant on it, probably, maybe.

My problems is simple, I want to keep translating because I still like translating, but I did not want my translation to show up on NU because:
    1. When it show up on NU, it immediately get copy-paste to another site and they even remove the editor's name etc. It just... suffocating.
    2. I want to be able to upload my own translation when I want to. For example just this week, I was translating until 2 AM, put it on my site and go to sleep, wake up and saw a horrible page for my new project on NU that have nothing except cover, there is not even a description! I have to painstakingly edited that page (put the description, year, status and even change the tag because it is wrong!) while I am still groggy and really not in the mood for that.
    Look, I really appreciating the work of the bot for automatically listing chapters so translator like me can just upload on the site and did not have to login to NU and do the upload, but is there a way to stop bot from making a new novel page?
    Thank you for reading this, if this is a wrong thread or there is already an existing answer, please, give me the link or tell me, I am lost here and need your guide.
    Also, English aren't my first language, so I am apologizing again for any wrong grammar etc that I probably makes. I hope you all have a nice weekend.

2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    You should just leave the page of the novel alone lol, anyone can edit it. Also just contact mods if you don't want your translation to show up.

Ral, Sabruness and 8oni like this.
  3. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The bot doesn't actually make a novel page on its own; someone (probably one of the people who read your translations) has to manually upload it and add the first chapter before the bot starts picking it up. Like SoulZer0 said, you can contact the mods, but it might also be worth adding a note on your translations that you don't want people to add it to NU.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Ral, AliceShiki, UnGrave and 2 others like this.
  4. 8oni

8oni Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How do you contact mods...?
    I see. I will put message then asking people to not adding it on NU. Thank you. And I purposely put all short 5 chapters into 1 long upload because I thought NU bot won't add one shot. I have wronged NU bot ._.

riririn likes this.
  5. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Send a support message through NU's main site or send a message to @Tony or @runsing here. Then ask them to completely ban your site from being listed. All new translation title pages need to be approved first and they're the only ones who do the approval if Ai-chan isn't mistaken.

Unfortunately, once the aggregators got the link to your site, they log your url and will continue to crawl your site. So even if your site is banned from being updated on novelupdates, they will continue to copy your chapters. Well, there is still a chance they don't actively crawl your site, so try to contact the mods first and see how it goes.

6. 8oni

8oni Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok I will try contacting the mods. Thank you for your help.

Ai chan likes this.
  7. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    Hiya, I have a fellow translator with the same problem. She wrote it clearly in her translation that she doesn't want it to be linked in NU but someone just have to ruin it for her.

You may want to password protect your chapter and put the password elsewhere (like the TOC page, ask the reader to get it themselves). It seems that as long as the password is not in the same page of your release, NU will reject the request to put it up.

Ral and 8oni like this.
  8. 8oni

8oni Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I see, I will learn how to put password on wordpress then for next project. I have message Tony asking for my group to be ban from uploading to NU though, still waiting for response (it is weekend he probably busy) but that should help solve the problem.

Thank you for your help.

9. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    @8oni Yes, password protect or force a login. Any kind of wall will force NU to hide your releases.

The bot itself will only add releases after a page has been created (which requires at least one chapter manually linked).
    It will look for the name of the novel in the title of the RSS and in the category. If you post in uncategorized, it might not get auto-added, if you don't put the full novel's name in the title. (Here are the rules, do the opposite?)

Still, I'm sure a mod can set it up to auto-hide your releases, even if you don't actually "wall" them. But if you want to unhide them later... well, that might be a problem, as this will give additional work to the staff.
    And people might try to manually add your new chapters, whenever they come up. So I guess, "walling" them might be better.

8oni likes this.
  10. 8oni

8oni Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you. I have read the link before, carefully, to make sure that my release can get approved when I just start translating. It is ironic now I have to do the opposite.
    Well, I guess for now I will testing the water by using BE novel, that way even if they got stolen despite my effort, I can still happily laughing about it:sushi_cool: