Discussion How do you discuss a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, May 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I find something to criticize and dive deeply into that. I'm still reading so that's proof enough that I still enjoy it. I used to write longwinded posts (starting that up again), but nowadays it's kind of hard to find people willing to engage in that kind of discussion. meh. how do the rest of you do it? in my eyes, most of the discussions seem pretty dead?

I also ranted a ton about novels I didn't like.

edit: took out "you like". I ranted a ton on how terrible TDG/ATG was.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    I OBJECT!!!
    [​IMG]

ps: i just feel like doing it. . .

3. Koruya

Koruya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All the people have different opinions, so in the end most of discussion, especially on the internet become argues.

As for myself, i prefer to give someone opinion on subject, listen to their and see other side of stuff.

Minokyuu and Ryan_Oliver like this.
  4. My Pen is Mightier Than Swords

My Pen is Mightier Than Swords ["Questioning the firmament"]

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the time it goes like REEEEEEEEE and if they so incline to answer than they will so graciously say REEEEE YOYRE WRONG BECAUSE REEEEEEE

And I object your objection

5. Random lurker

Random lurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    some how if im discussing the novel that i like its always end up to be ignored by my friend :'v

6. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Should have participated in the DE or WMW LCD. We all really enjoyed the long winded debates and the diving deep into criticizing the novel and defending opinions.

PS. Loved ranting on ATG and TDG aswell. Good times.

7. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh, I rant about stories I like. If I didn't like the story I wouldn't have gotten to the part that was objectionable to me. Usually the thing that triggers me will be sudden edgelord. You will have a happy go lucky story that will just go to edgetown all of a sudden and I just want to slap the shit out of the author for making me go through that crap. Or you will get dark stuff at the beginning with promises that as the MC grows stronger he will be able to get past that crap, get vengeance, etc. Then you find as the story goes on, no that's not how this is going to go down. Other things that bother me, noone but the MC can save the day. IE if mc leaves his village for any reason, that village is toast. Sub out school/sect/plane whatever. there's more, can't/don't want to think about it.

Most recent story to cause me to start bitching was Castle of Black Iron. Story had so much promise in spite of some of the more crass choices the author has made. but latest few arcs has me wishing I never got into it.

8. SomeDude

SomeDude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Typing a wall of text for in depth discussion is tiring and it usually will end up in a long winded argument one way or another just like politics in real life.

I'd rather wage waifu wars and insult each other.

9. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh another one, repetition. If crap gets repetitive, you know the author is just milking chapters. MGA comes to mind. That story had a 25 chapter repeat. IE you could skip 25 chapters ahead or backwards and a different iteration of the same plot would be occurring again.

even worse, the repetition in the chapter. what I call the speed racer effect. You would get the description of the event, then you would get someone viewing the event's description of the event, then you would get the villain's description of the event, then you would get the MC's. In Speed Racer you would have something go down, then you would get racer x's response "watch out speed" then you would get his pitcrew's response "oh no speed!" then you would get the guy in the stand's response "speed is going to crash!" then action would begin again. Like wtf was that? it just took 30 seconds to poll the crowd of what was happening, the crash has already happened. But when that happens in CN it usually means only 1 or 2 things will actually happen in the chapter and you will spend the rest of your time reading other people's responses. TBH I don't give a damned about other people's responses. Also, how the hell does this MC always end up fighting people in front of big ass crowds?

there was something else, but I lost it.

10. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    I will post my thoughts, usually long, on the story in the LCD and if someone replies then I will discuss. Sometimes I have good discussions like in RMJI, The Wizard World, or Age of Adepts etc etc. On the other hand sometimes the people who reply will just continue repeating the same arguments over and over again and for those people I just stop answering. How good the conversation depends on luck.

Can't stand ATG to the point I don't want to be a part of that discussion. If the plot armor is so thick that the author has to say that the mc has a heavenly lucky body/soul its gone to far.

11. Valcryst

Valcryst 『Theorizing Panda』 ʕ-ᴥ – ʔ 『Ddraigslayer』 ︻デ═一

Reading List:
    Link
    Like what i set as my title says, most of the time I take all the limited information given in a novel i read and theorize on what happens next... i guess right some times... XD

But mostly reacting on something funny/absurd/absurdly funny about a novel...

12. InvincibleDespair

InvincibleDespair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Say what novels you like reading. I wanna know what you guys who hate ATG/TDG read

13. SomeDude

SomeDude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a rant thread now ? lol

14. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    dude, I think I quit reading ATG or one of his other ones because story got so damned edgelord I felt personally offended by the author. I wanted to reach through and choke the dude out for making me read a chapter about some dude torture/murdering an entire family.

15. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess I have a tendency of turning anything I post into rant threads.... I don't mean to. I have positive things I like about some stories.

SomeDude likes this.
  16. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly write about my speculations and reply to similar or different views on events on novels.

17. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I just overruled their opinion.

For real tho, I usually debated on the LCD, that's was I always do after reading the certain chapter.
    Most of the novel are just too simply to debate.

AliceShiki likes this.
  18. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    I almost never discuss a novel with another, so this should be interesting ~

19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    dood do you only know how to criticize?
    how I discuss novel?

da easiest and most exciting for discuss a novel imo is theory~ made up theory for background character, side character, how MC will resolve a problem, which one da best waifu ect
    rant for me just one part and less exciting
    on serious discussion most on comment tho and da most important part lazy bum don't wanna start it~ a certain meatbun even tell me about a thread which only me rambling alone~
    example on thread you made which is tsukibi blablabla after period of hibernate a lazy bum pop up and talk about something followed by a cat say another thing then another user pop up start to ramble few thing and foal discussion about few thing pop up~

if you wanna see good discussion then make one cuz most nuffian are lazy bum add with silent reader then you get current condition~

19656.png

20. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    oh yeah, one other thing that triggers a rant from me. Characters in these stories will pick the strangest times to show no urgency. people that rely on them could be getting massacred around them and they will lah-de-dah just stroll about thinking about stuff, or lay low, etc. they will straight up wait til the last minute to show up or take action or whatever. I guess the assumption is showing up at the last moment makes them appear more heroic. really it just means more of their friends and family die before they took action. congratulations, laying low/your tardiness caused more people to die... that kinda ties into the whole "MC is the only one that can save the day" shtick that bothers me.

Fuyuneko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.