How Does Novel Updates Work?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Tony, Nov 16, 2016.

1. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/user/216692/Thraximus/
    click on the Report Problem, and describe the issue + add all the necessary info (group name, rss feed url, **category used to tagged the novels etc)

**please create a unique tag/category for each of your novels, and tag/categorized your chapters accordingly whenever you're releasing the chapters.
    tag/category are used as identifiers so that the bot will know which chapter belongs to which novel.
    also, avoid putting numbers other than the chapter's number itself in the title. for example, if chapter 10's title is "3 days to deadline", don't put [chapter 10 - 3 days to deadline part1] in the title. put the [3 days to deadline part1] in the body instead.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    KizunaKayoko likes this.
  2. KizunaKayoko

KizunaKayoko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it okay if the numbers in the title are just changed to words other than the chapter number? For example, if there was a [Chapter 5: Final Countdown part 1], would [Chapter 5: Final Countdown part one] be acceptable?

3. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    there are two issues with that.
    one, is the word 'part', which the bot would peceived as hinting the chapter is splitted and will be multiple parts.
    even if the bot sends the chapter to manual queue for being processed by mods, that naming scheme is still as confusing as ever. i mean, how would the mod processing it knows the next chapter will be [chapter 6], and not [Chapter 5: Final Countdown part2]?

second issue, is the bot is configured to recognized a certain number of spelling for numbers. 'one', is among them. why? because there are quite a number of translators out there who are quite fond of spelling out their chapter numbers.

my advise is, just skip the 'part' altogether. there's nothing wrong with multiple chapters sharing the same title. or if you really must use it no matter what, use parenthesis just for the part's number.
    Chapter 5: Final Countdown [1]
    Chapter 5: Final Countdown (1)

i would also like to add, if you want volume number depicted, then you have to start from your side. if you did not put 'volume 2 chapter 2' or simply v2c2 in your title, it is impossible for bot to conjure up a volume number for listing (referring to I, A Commoner, Was Actually Reincarnated).

Blitz, KizunaKayoko and AliceShiki like this.
  4. Rin Shouta

Rin Shouta Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, I'm sorry. I'm still a newbie. I have a problem about getting approved. I already put category for my releases and also the tags (but it's in my website). So, I guess it's about the tag that (@Tony) forgot to tag like in the first quote?

Oh, I also already added 3 chapters in two series named I Don't Want This Reincarnation and Extra Works Hard. Once again I'm sorry if this corner isn't the place for this reply... :cry::cry::cry::cry:

5. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
  6. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wrong tree. @runsing

At a glance, I'm guessing he removed the "(qidian)" because that'd disrupt the ability to search for other works by the author on the site (which relies on the name being identical across novel pages), and the other name simply because he thought it was wrong.

8. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks, I will see what the reply is. I will add again if he thinks it is okay.

9. juststian

juststian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi,
    My new releases alway get auto approved.
    But yesterday I tried something new and posted one advance chapter and locked its content. I added "teaser" to the title to prevent it being picked up by the NU bot.
    But today I changed the title to remove " teaser".
    And unlocked the content. After a hour, the NU bot seemed to ignore the change and this chapter still didn't get updated on NU.
    My question is: In situation like this, does the Bot take longer to auto approve the new release? Or do I need to manually submit the release?

10. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's added. We don't seek out much details about the raw source so sometimes things like these happen. Thanks for telling us about it instead of persistently adding them without explanations.

*Sigh* I don't understand why people would explain their problems without so much a name or title of the subject involved in their post.

There's hundreds of groups and thousands of novels on NU. If you want an explanation, include those details into your post. We are not psychic.

11. juststian

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry I forgot to mention it.
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/we-monsters-are-not-allowed-to-be-single/

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you need to manually submit. The bot can't pick up edits.

juststian likes this.
  13. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just like what @AliceShiki said, a new post is needed for the bot to pick it up. Any chapters that you have publicly posted before but edited sometime later won't be picked up again, you have to manually submit them using Add Release form that you can access through your NU profile.

14. juststian

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the clarification.

15. rbfgig

rbfgig Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hi i posted an update for the embarassed (strong) and I want to know if it was approved

16. Sgt Clonehunter

Sgt Clonehunter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When did you post it?

17. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    don't keep creating the same novel page again and again.

18. rbfgig

rbfgig Member

Reading List:
    Link
    a while ago, it's my first time posting translation /<

im sorry it's my first time sharing translation :<

19. Yonichiichimaru

Yonichiichimaru Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony
    Thanks for all your hard work! Due to lengthy Novel Titles, I submit my release links manually, but at times, there will be mistakes or glitches and the incorrect link will be posted on the wrong site or go to the wrong chapters (i.e. "Spirit Girlfriend" posted a c66 of another series by mistake). What is the best way to address these errors?

20. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    rather than copy-pasting the entire title, use part of the raw title when submitting the chapters. for example ユーレイな彼女 for spirit girlfriend novel. or 極点の炎魔術師 for flame wizard (which you happens to also submitted its c60 as spirit girlfriend's c16)

however, when errors did occur despite all the precautions, use the Report Problem button found on your profile.
    https://www.novelupdates.com/user/359849/Yonichiichimaru/
    describe the issue briefly without omitting needed details such as novel name, chapter number(s), possible solution (correct number/url/novel)

AMissingLinguist and AliceShiki like this.