How Does Novel Updates Work?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Tony, Nov 16, 2016.

1. KylinNovels

KylinNovels Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your explanation!
    It is quite complicated to me o_O

Yes I saw them.
    I need to practice more.

2. Sopya_Re

Sopya_Re New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My "Add Group" request was never approved/answered. Any idea why?

3. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We approve *releases*. We don't approve groups or series pages. Adding groups and series pages is automatic and temporarily accepted outright, as long as the forms are properly and fully filled out. They immediately appear as options on the Add Release form and will appear on the site when the accompanying release is accepted.

Unfortunately there is no notification if a release is rejected, though there aren't many reasons that happens. Typically only when the release was determined to be unedited machine translation, an english original, or in violation of ongoing translation policy.

AliceShiki and Nom de Plume like this.
  4. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    To add to this, the first release of a new series may be delayed if the novel page was created incorrectly. Approving the first release makes the novel visible on the main site. This means any issues with the novel / group pages must be resolved before we will approve the first release. The final approval should occur within 24 hours so long as everything else is submitted correctly. Submit the release last so that you can link the novel and/or group pages you have generated. As west said, they should be searchable on the add release page, even if you cannot find them on other parts of the site.

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. RuiSi

RuiSi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi I would like to add my new series but I have been banned from doing so

6. Blackrain76

Blackrain76 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry! I want to ask how to join a grp?

7. rosaa1

rosaa1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, I have filled out the add group form but my group does not appear as an option.

8. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    To be clear, you've submitted the https://www.novelupdates.com/add-group/ form, but your group does not appear as an option for the Group field on the https://www.novelupdates.com/add-release/ form? Because as I said in the quoted post, there's not approval for this part of the process. It's entirely automated.

9. rosaa1

rosaa1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I have already submitted the group form, but could not add a release because my group does not show up as an option.

10. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure what to do with that. Best I can suggest is using the Report Problem page to list out your intended group name and site url.
    https://www.novelupdates.com/report-problem/

11. rosaa1

rosaa1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you. Should I try registering my group again?

12. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    You can do that, too. Like I said, it should be entirely automatic - if it doesn't work, assume something went wrong and try again. But if you can't get it to work, just report it as a problem and list the information needed so a staff member can attempt to set it up for you.

13. sansukini0923

sansukini0923 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi. I'm a new solo translator. Should my add group request be approved first before I can add release?

14. Crow Slaying Vanir-san

Crow Slaying Vanir-san Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What do we do if we(translator) switch host website but still translate the same novel on the new host site (with permission from previous host site)?

I'm currently translating the novel "Absolutely Do Not Touch Eldmia Egga", and I've recently changed host website for the novel to a new personal website. How does the rule on a new website hosting an existing novel series work in this case?

15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    The rules are there for translators, not host sites. A translator can move freely between sites without problem.

Also, the rules allow you to pick up a novel right away if you have permission from the previous translator, so even if there was a translator change in this case, it would still not be a problem.

So, no issues here. Your releases can be approved just fine.

16. Lupinr814

Lupinr814 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a question, I have mtl site and want to start editing the novels one by one, but by this thread, It checks and grabs all categories and I just want a specific novel to be grabbed for now. Is this possible?

17. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Setting up the automation is not itself an automatic process, but new novels do generally get approved after a few chapters as long as the categories are set correctly. Make a report with your group name and relevant links via the button on the user profile on NovelUpdates. You could potentially reach out directly to the admin (Tony) directly if other novels get approved even after your report or if you would like to ask how you might better organize your site to ease this process.

@AliceShiki is right in that NU does not manage where a translator hosts their novels beyond not posting them directly in the NU forums. The only issue you may have is if the new site has a different violation (like locking all of your chapters behind a password or otherwise making them inaccessible), but that would not have anything to do with the actual migration of chapters.

It is however best practice to use our report a problem feature to link both sites and how the chapters should be handled once you have finished uploading the chapters to the new site. This will give all NU moderators a heads up that the previous chapters need their links updated or deleted.

18. Lupinr814

Lupinr814 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks

19. DynerisCyrus

DynerisCyrus Green Tea Maker

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony
    My translated chapters of 'Not Familiar' novel aren't getting auto approved, please help me out. >.<

20. pimni

pimni Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi do we get any alert or message if a series I added gets approved?