Discussion How intelligent do you like your novels?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NZPIEFACE, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Azusky

Azusky Gazing At Moonlight | 50 Shades of Blue

Reading List:
    Link
    do u even lift

2. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    I like things being properly explained and not having to spend time on deciphering it... though I'm okay with it even if things are a bit harder to understand and confusing as long as you get, as long as it all gets together at some point and you can understand it, even if not from the beginning. :coffee:
    I'm not sure how to describe it or how novels are rated based on this confusing/explained(understanding) term... but ISSTH, OEM and LLS! are my favorite novels, so you could base it on that...

3. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    It all depends on balance for me. Some don't explain enough and some go way too far. Some people probably need the reminder though. Over explanation can also be helpful if you've let the story build for a few months, as a reminder of what you forgot.

4. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I really don't like confusing and chaotic writing, so it's best to make it clear who's doing what in the story. But I do enjoy symbolism. There's also no need for excessive and repetitive explanations, either. I like the novel to unfold like a movie, something I can visualize in my mind.

5. Wildzhen

Wildzhen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Intelligent ?! okay actually what I hate the most is when the author is going for the "I wear glasses I am clever let me show you how clever an author I am I will make my work so clever heck I am so clever I will make it dumb for my reader cause I'm clever" see that's the kind of work I hate the most. Tbh I like novels that make my brain think with the left side , tickles my imagination. I also like novels that have a balance those are the novels I consider the best. But reality check best is in the single digits I like to read novel based on my mood too if I don't want to think I will go with the "world pisses me off" ones >(you step on my foot you deserve to die>give me face or die>the air is too good for you die> stop talking >die.....) If my gf pissed me off today I go with " Zombies">> the world is finished > men are thrashy bastard> Women shut up make babies with me> I am a harem king) , If I feel like Space is cool I go with "Space is cool" >> Space is cool the futur is cool >>fighting in the futur is cool) well you guys get the picture.

6. ElTorroLoco

ElTorroLoco [Christmas spiritbun][Left Hand of Sordahon]

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you even unlift?

7. Azusky

Azusky Gazing At Moonlight | 50 Shades of Blue

Reading List:
    Link
    that doesnt even make sense

8. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    If that's the opposite of 'lift', I'm probably an expert...:coffee:

9. ElTorroLoco

ElTorroLoco [Christmas spiritbun][Left Hand of Sordahon]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ik ~(0/\0)~

10. Detective

Detective [[The one who love Bengal Tigers]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Think on every little thing it is the best. You can even know the ending before it happens (i hope not to, thought) and you even can see another story on the same story if this one have a past. It´s awesome. This make you understand the author and the characters better, and if you feel like you can understand the characters you can feel like you are part of the story (well, i feel that way sometimes), and you can try and make choices with the characters (it´s not like they can hear you, thought), and even think on better answers.
    Well, it´s not like i don´t understand the other type. It´s good to have all the answers since the beggining. Think things, normally means you have a problem you need to resolve. So the author being like that means he prefer to solve everything himself. And is better for him since that way he can make more pages of nothing. If he really is a good author he can make all those trivial things look interesting. Of course it´s the same for the other type of author.
    I am with the first one, thought. Because, since i have a brain i like to use it. And i still don´t have a novel which can surpass me on find everything.

11. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On a scale of Ed -> Eddy -> Edd? somewhere between Eddy and Edd, smart enough to not be boring, stupid enough to go weird places.

12. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as author isn't explaining the obvious thing again and again like True Martial World then it's fine.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016