How much does Social Media affect your life?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pass1478, Feb 21, 2020.

1. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm quite good in handling when and how I should manage my social media.. I'm not too obsess with them

imK and KizunaAi like this.
  2. Eve

Eve Title under construction

Reading List:
    Link
    basically, I would facepalm, roll eyes or something when talking to someone which is rude.
    But can't fully stop that cuz that what I do every day in front of the computer browsing social media.

3. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Social media? What's that? A new cake recipe?

imK likes this.
  4. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't, I barely spend any time on socializing, online or offline.

imK likes this.
  5. Qiun

Qiun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Other than NuF I become addicted to torment my friends with food pics

6. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    NUF, discord, quora, youtube and some sites make up all the social media sites i use. As for how it affects my life, i use them to mostly pass my time and entertain myself. If not for these, i would usually play games, do some study and flirt with some girls maybe:blobpeek::blobangel:

imK likes this.
  7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    That's still an effect. Now imagine social media being completely gone, how would your suici.... i mean life be *cough cough*

imK and Ha-Ha like this.
  8. AnonymousWildAster

AnonymousWildAster Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhhh.. I think.. too much, since it caused/made my depression worse, seeing pipz there posting how sad they are and there suicidal thoughts, and caused me to have anxiety which I didn't know I have not until my friend told me. So yeah, I decided to stop using it (facebook and twitter, since I'm using tumblr for a dose of memes oftentimes) and just lurk here or other sites to read books instead.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Deleted member 155674 and imK like this.
  9. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Its how I interact with people. Probably message my friends me on apps than in real life. Then there's also forums and discord.

imK likes this.
  10. Alfha Robby

Alfha Robby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah that's why i said "barely affected", not "unaffected" you should try to learn the nuance and meaning of each word next time.

also during my childhood time i still didn't have internet connection and only found out about facebook (cough ninja saga cough) while i was still a junior high school, (currently at the sixth semester at university) so nope i don't think im gonna go suicide or something like that.

11. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    Only use social media for three things,overseas communication,memes and help in University work.

imK likes this.
  12. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    Closest thing I get to social media is NUF. And I spend like an average of 5-10 minutes every 2-3 days on here I think.

TokioftheBel and imK like this.
  13. KizunaAi

KizunaAi Cookie Lover ~ I love fuwa fuwa dolls ~

Reading List:
    Link
    It has a big impact on me, I mainly use Discord and NU. Other than these 2, I don't use it often. Discord has a big impact on me cuz mostly of my friends in discord can related to my feeling. Also I started to use emoji in text with my friends

imK likes this.
  14. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    Not so much i guess...
    I only use IG for news or updates

imK likes this.
  15. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe in the past year or two I started using emojis although that is more from texting. I go on here to mostly to argue when I have nothing to read and will check Facebook a few times a year. Overall it hasn't affected me much.

imK likes this.
  16. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    No need to be a douche, i pointed it out because you said 'barely affected' while your entire life is dictated by it as you don't know anything else, which you yourself stated.

p.s. i went back and the funny part is you yourself didn't get the meaning of the post, as it's about social media on the internet, not the 'media' as you thought it was with your original post.

The irony of lecturing me when you clearly didn't even read or comprehend the original post.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    mir and imK like this.
  17. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Significantly and in positive ways.

I'm a Millennial who grew up with an analogue childhood and transitioned into digital adulthood. Although New Zealand technically had the internet in 1986, it didn't start cropping up in our homes until the '90s, becoming a household staple at the start of the millennium. ICQ, DeviantArt and Myspace were the first social media platforms I ever used. The former initially allowed me to connect to fellow gamers I met through Starcraft, Diablo 2 and Counter-Strike. DeviantArt gave me a creative outlet for my artistic interests, introducing me to talented people from all walks of life. With Myspace I met a lot of performance-oriented folks (professional dancers, fire eaters, models, etc) and along with various interest forums gave me the ability to link up with less mainstream people - the kink community, alternative fashion enthusiasts, fellow manga and anime lovers, the list goes on and on.

Before Twitter turned into the strange beast it is today, well-known celebrities and artists were very accessible. My "Oh my god I can't believe this is happening!" moment was a conversation with a personal childhood hero of mine, H. R. Giger. I sent him a slightly cringey (but still very respectful) DM thanking him especially for his Aliens artwork, raving excitedly about how his art opened up my child-mind to paths of imagination I would otherwise never have dreamed of. He was ever so patient, respectful and polite and I was sad when he passed away in 2014. I don't use Twitter all that much any more, mostly to look at cool art people put out on there, but I keep the account just for the nostalgia.

Social media allows me to meet, interact with and learn from people all around the world. It's a great tool for making and forging connections. In my personal life I use it to keep in contact with friends and family across the globe. Professionally, it's a mainstay of my operations. The majority of my work is done at home. Only around 20% of my work requires me to spend time in physical meetings, office buildings and business lunches. The rest is done online via email, websites, team-based work apps, conference calls and discord chat. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the freedom and flexibility I have if it didn't exist. It's afforded me the ability to more effectively balance my work and personal life. I can talk to clients, stay updated with family and friends, do my work and browse forums/chat in my regular breaks during the day. Plus when I'm done for the day all I need to do is turn off my computer and relax. Social media is a valuable tool and I use it as well as I can.

EDIT:
    Found a picture from said Aliens movie. It was so awesomely atmospheric, terrifying and exhilarating to watch. Fun fact: A 6ft 10in (2.08m) tall Nigerian actor named Bolaji Badejo played the Alien by wearing a specially designed suit in the first movie.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  18. TokioftheBel

TokioftheBel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, that's amazing

Deleted member 155674 and imK like this.
  19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    for gossip, entertainment, and some info~ not much impact

imK and Deleted member 155674 like this.
  20. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    I like to go on political or ideological Reddit forums, are read how they defend something that clearly conflicts with their views.

imK likes this.