Discussion How much would you pay for a novel ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Emissary Nouvelle, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not the entire thing all at once, but like advance chapters, or something.

I make it my personal creed to not buy anything online Except for items shipped to me, otherwise I would be sucked into paying for vip/premium service games that I'll just delete or stop playing later on aka a waste of money. But novels are different, I'm kind of leaning towards throwing some change at it , not making it rain IF, IF I like one enough but I want to know what I'm getting myself into, for these sort of things you start out innocent and couple months down the line you're like 'what have I done/turned into?'.

So there's my question if my control were to slip I want to know the normal extreme/ceiling of payment for people. We all hate cliffhangers but it's never been a problem for me money wise as I have the mental block/rut of how it's always been (sorry bro, I don't pay for anything online). So since I'm considering it, I want to know what other people do.

How much would you /or would you have paid for a novels advance chapters were you addicted (use your favorite novel as reference like if reverend insanity just started recently and was still updating releases were 200 but advance chapters went to 250.)

2. phreakinsane

phreakinsane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm cheap & patient. I don't pay for things like advanced chapters.

If the novel is AMAZING I will buy it in its completed form to support the author. I've spent up to 90 bucks for a limited edition hardcover novel. Digital copies or paperback I'd never spend more than 10 or 20 respectively.

I know I am a cheap bastard, but that's my answer.

3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to buy hard copy novels but it has hit a point where I got no space left for new books, so unless it is online, I'm no longer buying novels simply because I'm out of space.

4. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My price point is something like $7 for a light novel volume. Under that is optimal, over that means I must really really like the series.

Alixiron likes this.
  5. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    for a full volume no problem, but chapters... just compare...

if you like it buy it, all depends on how much you earn, and how many you can read. Buy to read it, don't go buying to read later because ppl tends to postpone it and keep buying

6. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol I'm asking about what you'd pay online, at this stage especially with covid no one's buys hardcopies anymore, personally I'd buy some as a collection or something when I have spare change but that's when I have excess cash I don't know what to do with. That's just me, generally though I think most people read books online.

Nothing is wrong with being economical

7. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Non-webnovels, maybe twenty bucks, give or take a dollar or two. Haven't read much novels nowadays and its even rarer that i finish. Haven't read much webnovels.

8. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't, not for something like premium access anyway

9. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I will watch ads to unlock a chapter online. As for paying per chapter never. I have followed and heard of to many novels being dropped because of issues with the publisher or with censorship laws. Any novel that I purchase would have to be complete. I have bought books online (sees textbooks:blobsleepless:, mainly textbooks:blobangery:). I don't buy ebooks a lot. I only do it if I really liked it to support the author, though the amount they get from my purchase is another issue.
    So basically this. I only buy if I really like the book. I did that with physical novels as well. I would go to the book store or library and read as much as I could. If I really liked what I read of the novel I'd buy it. I want to know what I'm getting into.

Tech is life likes this.
  10. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    .... it's to put it in perspective. I've gotten $120 hard cover books before. Price has never been the limiting factor for me for the price of reading books, it's always been time and space constraints for me. These days, mostly time. Just not enough time.

11. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Depend on market price, how much i have, how much i like it or wanna read it and maybe if i need it for some course

12. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link

Atleast for now

Maybe when I can afford to spend more?

13. seemanta

seemanta ţɦɛ ʏօʊռɢɛsţ ɮʀѧţ ɨռ ţɦɛ ɦօʊsɛ

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll never spend money on webnovels in internet. I can spend money for hardcover books but not something I can't touch. The satisfaction just ain't there and I'll feel like it's a loss. But, most importantly, I don't have a bank account connected to internet so I'm unable to spend money at all. And, if I ever do spend money, it'll be something like 5$ per month as 5$ is a pretty good amount of money in my currency for a jobless student depending on my parents like me. It can buy me 30 packs of chips.

14. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m broke af

15. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    $0 for online novels
    ...Er, maybe a few dollars.

Then <$10 for physical copies of books...

16. Alixiron

Alixiron Demon King

Reading List:
    Link
    Paying per chapter is bound to be more expensive than just paying once for a book so I would choose not to do that. For a book ig at most I might pay around $20 but it is negotiable based on the quantity of the content and how much I like it.