How to gain viewers

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Mae Rogel 82, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Mae Rogel 82

Mae Rogel 82 Call me Mae _ [Red step-siblings(Eldest)]

Reading List:
    Link
    I am a newbie writer...I wanna gain viewers and reviewers for my novel?
    How could I do it?

2. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Fan service.. :blobjoy:

Or put ads, and promote it wherever possible.... Like just now you could have just added the title and link with a brief description of it....

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  3. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    You can recommend it here and in other forums.
    People often ask for recs here, so you can add yours when it fits what they ask for.

4. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Advertise
    2. Spam
    3. Pay people
    4. Bribe

Hasty girl and Mae Rogel 82 like this.
  5. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    Be consistent with your chapter release date/s.

Ps. This is me as a reader.

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  6. Hasty girl

Hasty girl [Holy Novitiate] [Red Sibling] [Blackjack Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just post the story link or smth here and and maybe tell your family or friend to read it or tell me when you post it I will try to tag some interested ppl

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  7. Mae Rogel 82

Reading List:
    Link
    I already posted the link ..you can see in my signature novel recommendation lol

8. Hatka Bobra

Hatka Bobra Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's a tip/ Don't write 'It's my first time writing a novel..' Most readers go away on this sweet and sincere confession.

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  9. Euphues

Euphues Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Post on more platforms.
    Write one-shot stand alone stories, link back to main work..

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  10. zduino

zduino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More ways to find = more viewers
    More professional the presentation (more effort you put into "selling" your work) = the more likely a viewer will read your work

For instance, what story are you looking for advice for? Is it Claudia? If so, here are some general tips I recommend to try to increase your readers:
    1) EDIT the work and the synopsis. personally I don't even give a book a chance if it's official synopsis or first page has more than 2 easily addressable errors (punctuation and spelling)
    2) Select a format that is visually appeasing. "Does the cover art look good?" "Are my chapters a reasonable length?" "Is my work easy to navigate (has a TOC)?"
    3) SHARE SHARE SHARE. the more sites your share it on. More ways for people to find it. This also includes putting on social media (I would recommend on an account with only information about your work writing, not your personal life)

These are some tips if you want pertaining to Claudia (not sure if this is the novel you wanted advice for...).
    - Description helps the reader build a mental image. A reader should be able to answer:
    > What do they look like? Where are they? What does the location look like?
    - Proof read. There is a good book about writing stories called On Writing by Steven King if you want some tips about the writing process and how to better convey/structure ideas into written story I recommend. A point he makes that I have as a takeaway from his book was the more times you write something (drafts), the better your ideas are refined in writing. It means that predominate ideas will permeate more clearly every iteration of a draft.
    - Visual appeasement. Your cover art is fine, I would recommend a more readable font that is a solid color. If you're having a hard time picking a color that goes well with the image behind it, a hack is to put a gradient over the image under the text. The bottom will fade out to a dark color (like black), the top should be transparent to show the characters, and the text should bright to contrast against the darker background while centered towards the bottom. In professional cover art, this is usually achieved by a well place cloud/bush/"solid" colored element that contrasts well with the font.
    - A synopsis should not convey information beyond what is in the work. If the character doesn't have the verbatim thought or statement in the work, don't have it in the synopsis.
    - Chapter length is technically left up to the author, but here is how I determine it for my on works. When is there a major change in the focus? By change, I refer to when a character does or goes somewhere that is a major/significant plot point in the story and how. A chapter should introduce, action, and fallout a point of rising action. For instance, a failed wedding could be a chapter:
    > introduction: the bride and her family and friends have a nice dialog (great way to develop characters)
    > action: the bride walks down the isle (could build up a tease explaining how great a marriage this is in this world; yeah world building)
    > fallout: groom runs away (this is now a rising action plot point for the overall plot of the novel; chapter one done)

There are tons of interesting and great techniques that are used and still being created (since the only limit is the imagination) by authors today. Hope this helps, it kind of turned into a rant (to which it was not supposed to be). Good luck with your work and

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  11. Mae Rogel 82

Reading List:
    Link
    thank you so much lol