How to let go of envy?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cap.toon, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Hikicarl

Hikicarl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't let go of envy but instead make them your role model. Think that they are your future. You'll be like them or even better if you continue working hard and strive to improve. You have not yet lose your potential. You are destined for so much more. Something like that.

You should also find skills that will make you earn more. It's always like that.. improving your value by learning valuable skills. But beware the higher the pay, the greater the responsibilities. You pay for the future with your present.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  2. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reading Buddhist teaching.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  3. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its normal to be envious.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  4. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea. I’m from the US. Specifically from the Pacific Northwest. As to politics. I sort of gave up on it since Obama. But thanks for the info. I’ll check it out when I have a sec.

fteg123 likes this.
  5. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    You just want a comfortable life, you ain't gonna get that by being a hippy burger flipper or something. You need a decent amount of money but not too much like being a millionaire.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  6. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Envy with good intention, like become a motivation or aspiration is okay.
    But envy with bad intention, like wanting the guy to fall is not.
    What you need is turn all the envy into a good one.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    look below and around
    yep seem lame escape but it work for me add with use that envy as motivation

sound easy? go try yourself, it have lot of factors to do that~ I tell some friends and guess what? they envy me who can do that casually~

human and their weird mind~ no wonder a wise cat said the world filled with crazy people~ that include you and me~

oh btw try laugh at it~the older someone weird enuf it is harder to laugh

8. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    it's not the $$ it's your insecurity. envy is normal. If your making so much extra cash why don't you invest some of it in a small business or in stocks. you don't need to run your own business you can just hire a management team of 4-5 and let them hire the lower lvl employees. depending on what business you want to start you might not even need to hire a management team that big just 2-3 pp and let them run the business you just have have to make sure all the accounts up to task and no one is stealing money or you can also hire an accountant to make sure the numbers match. you don't have to start right away you can just plan out what you want to do as a business if your business does well you might even end up leaving your job and making hundred of thousands maybe millions. working for a company is thankless job you might be doing great work for several decades and the boom you hit 50-60 years old suddenly they see that they can lay you off and hire 3 employees with less skill and still save money.

you no longer have envy when you see what you have built with your own 2 hands. how many ppl can actually say they have their own company and that they built it themselves? how many can say they built a successful company? for every 1 successful company there are hundreds or thousands of failed companies. you shouldn't be afraid that your company failed you should learn why it failed and start over many great business men have failed several times before becoming great millionaire and billionaires.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  9. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't let it go, embrace it. Embrace all of your emotions. It is not shameful to be envious, slothful, prideful, wrathful, lustful, greedy, or gluttonous. These are all natural things. Emotions are a sign. A sign to call you to action. Do whatever the fuck you want.

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  10. OceanMagix

OceanMagix Catnapping periodically. Existence is oblivious

Reading List:
    Link
    Don’t always focus on it, find other distractions.

Basically? It might be because you would like a better quality of life. The issue is, how would you achieve it? Well, having more money would make it easier.

Reevaluate yourself. Why do you want such stuffs? And how much effort would you spend into it? Would it end up like a never ending vicious cycle of give and take?
    Like having more money for a bigger house but you’ll have to work a lot more just to maintain it. So , is it worth investing so much of your time into it?

Maybe take a look at how much quality time do they have ?

11. Brago130sf

Brago130sf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just go to him and say you're envious of him. To his face like you're telling a joke or something.
    He won't mund it and you'll feel better.
    It's better to get these things out than keeping them pent up inside you.

12. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey man coming from a guy who has several millionaire and billionaire relatives, one thing they have taught me is that money does not give real satisfaction or happiness but money is also essential but remember these rich people have their own problems and bullshit,I'm helping create a company with my batch mates from my freshman year in University, unlike some of them I'm not interested in indulging in drugs, alcohol,sex and other debauchery, thought what I want is a stable upper middle class lifestyle where at the very least not too broke for my hobbies aka acg stuff and some decent tasting food once in a while,I'm also motivated to help loosen the financial burdens of my mother and family.Also remember there are people way more miserable than u.

13. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    Greed seems more your problem than envy.

And besides, if they're that much older than you, shouldn't that just make you more confident you'll get there?

If you truly want money, in your position, the stock market is the way to go. Go read up on trading futures, study for 3-4 years then make a killing.

As long as you put in effort and dont put all your eggs in one basket, a good return is guaranteed.

Or you lose all your money and end up a homeless heroin addict.

Either way, it's a happy end.

14. norach212

norach212 Unknown being

Reading List:
    Link
    This might sounds cheesy, but there is a simple way.
    Be a friend with people with the state worse than you, help them whenever you can. That way you can feel more grateful for everything you have right now.

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Focus on your energy on learning how to become rich and you won't have enough energy left to envy others

Moving to a new place with lower cost of living is also recommended eg a poor man in Manhattan would be a rich man in Texas.
    Read articles on contentment. Like every good habit, you have to learn it. I recommend using odb.org
    Peace!

16. Passerby Soysauce-sama

Passerby Soysauce-sama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Take a break~ see the ocean or trek the mountains. Maybe spend your weekend at a rural, refreshing farming town~ the simplicity of their lives might remind you of something more than $$ since the grandeur of it all blinds people like hell~ It worked for me when I had existential crisis; going back to my hometown where I grew up from a snivelling child and reminding myself of the simple happiness from harvesting, cooking and eating the things I've planted with my own hands~ uwu. .. I'm back at the city though~ recovered enough since I'm still missing technology~ can't live without it.

17. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    Um I stopped reading the moment I saw "money". Tbh it will keep on continuing. Even if you come to a point where you can look down upon those around you. I think if you can somehow be satisfied with yourself then it will work~

18. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Me do it everyday, for the last 5 years. I always use these envy to inspire me, but never before have I use it to make myself so bitter.

He is in support of the universal basic income. It would cost Americans millions of dollar, but then the congressmen has already signed for a 2 years debt increase. IDK how we as a nation can pay back all this. Don't you think, one day our debtor can demand we give our land as collateral. China is already buying land here in the USA.

This is not related to my issue as I work full time. But having a universal basic income, promise I'll be paid roughly 10k a year. It's enough to cover housing, while the rest of my income can pay bills and other stuff. However, this idea will be very hard for tax payers. Especially, if America continue to allocate fund the way it is doing right now.

Hahaha--I wish I could do whatever I want. I would have been out of here.

They certainly have time. A lot of people here work one job. But it doesn't matter to me much. I am so focus on the money and realize I envy the $$. To me, no matter how much effort I put in it, I probably would never go beyond 50k my entire life. I wish I could.

fteg123 likes this.
  19. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I certainly don't have the degree or the experience, but I work just as hard.

I have tried, I have.

Hahaga, yes a lot of people are fuck. There are well off people that is struggling, simply because of spending habits.

Envy won't ever be a motivation, but it will certainly cripple. It is not entirely out of sight out of mind, but I can certainly just slowly shift my thought on it so my feeling isn't so miserable.

Ha, who would want to when you can just watch them do it online.

Hahahahaha. ah-no.

I do fine, but I do allow myself to think of things in that way so I can feel more okay with myself.

20. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]