How to Make Better Rating System?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Lswarmruler, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just want you guys to know. You. Are. Amazing.

No, really. Just. The best. :aww:

Dfjasgbvfarjkgvbrgbjglsz :blob_coughblood:

naviet likes this.
  2. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsalt::blobsalt::blobsalt:

3. Lswarmruler

Lswarmruler 『Anya, The Cutest Esper Loli』《Spy x Family Manga》

Reading List:
    Link
    this is also a good suggestion

yeah, i agree.. the translator should write the review about the novel after it is uploaded...

Hmm,, i think u misunderstand my thread... this is not about me or your way of reading and judging a novel, but about how to make a better rating system for general readers....

And i think some people who comment in this thread are too pessimisitic and acquiesce...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2017
    naviet likes this.
  4. raven

raven What to type?

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, there are couple of people who go to the extremes like either too good or too bad

5. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i know, it's just what i'm trying to say is, sure, the rating system is flawed, you can never have an opinion based system be perfect, but thats why i think instead of looking at the rating, be it negative or positive, i think you should look at the reasons why it's negative or positive, since it differs from person to person. 1 reviewers negative might be another ones positive and vice versa, while they might both be YOUR negative or positive, so as long as you only pay atention to long reviews, and take the time reading what might be the problem or the good thing about the story, and then judge it yourselvf, i don't think the system needs changing

6. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    thats an entirely different thing though isn't it? You can keep track of the people who one star novels translated by certain groups, but how do we keep track of how many chapters of a novel people read?

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I honestly think it's kinda impossible to make it better... It works like this tbh.

I personally don't care one bit about ratings, but I guess some people do care...

Forcing people to write reviews wouldn't work, it would just overload Tony (he reads all reviews) and would just make the number of reviews bigger... Not necessarily better, since the well thought reviews would be written even if the person wasn't forced to.

Rating based on different aspects could maybe work? Though some people always say translation quality and release speed for some reason, even if the guidelines already say they shouldn't talk about those... >.>

Oh well, I doubt there will be any change to the system tbh, I don't see any as a direct improvement, and Tony probably won't do any change if it's not an assured improvement.

8. kaze343

kaze343 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    kinda late when some people go out of their way to put 1 stars on quidan stuff because it quidan, or 1 stars on adult writings because they dont like adult stuff.

9. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Ratings? Those're irrelevant. No one cares about them. No one moderates them. Want to find a couple hundred friends and 1-star a popular novel to hell? Well, fine? Have fun? ... Reviews are different. Those are manually approved and require substance. If you got a ton of people to mass spam random negative reviews on a novel, they'd probably just be rejected and no one would ever even see..

10. Chupchup

Chupchup Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps a separate ratings based ones that left behind a review.

11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    by threat da rater~
    wrong rate and your head will fly to andromeda~

it back to da user~ hmm da community more precisely~

12. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    One major point no one has mentioned is nu has a bit over 3000 novels. What's gonna happen to the previous ratings. There'll be trolling and biased ratings to the not so popular series.

13. naviet

naviet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rating is is important for me. Because whenever we search using genre or rating base on popularity is very common thing to do.
    Im sure many nufer pick novels base on watch rating popularity weekly or montly as parameter to pick novels.
    Im sure many newbies done that.

14. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    The ranking on NU is based on things like activity - how many people are reading the novel, tracking it on their reading list, rating it (as in the *act* of rating it), reviewing it, etc. It's not at all based on the novel's actual ratings. lmao. Unless you explicitly search by ratings (and the only way to even do that is filling in a blank box with your desired rating on the series finder) you're definitely not searching for novels by rating.

If the first thing you look for in a novel is rating, tho, you might wanna rethink that. There are a lot of really good novels that have meh ratings for a variety of silly reasons. Don't just go by those or you're missing out.

AliceShiki likes this.
  15. mhdrkbalm

mhdrkbalm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nu could add a a progress system Which allows users to rate segments of the Novel. Eg 5 star for the first chapter 1-10, 3 stars from 10-20. The novel have upto 5 segments and they grow the the translation if the translation has 100 chapters then the segment are spit into 20 each. If some one rates the novel twice in the section keep the newest update. You would need to allow rerating and it would need to be connected to the read list fuction