How to prevent illogical plot lines?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Cian-Chan, Nov 13, 2018.

?

Do you like Mary Sue Novels?

1. Yes, they're wonderful!

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. No way, they're so illogical

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. That's a dumb question

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. What are Mary Sue Novels?

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. Cian-Chan

Cian-Chan Disappearing Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this is what most authors unconsciously(or consciously) experience. Actually, once an author writes a story, that story is already out of the real world's logic as long as it's fiction. However, what I'm talking about is that even in the story settings that they made, there were actually a lot of illogical(idiotic, if I may say) plots. You don't know if the author really intended that to make the story exciting or if they were just out of ideas.

There were also times when the story introduced a character but never appeared again in the story until the end. They just left without any explanation.

I think that to prevent these illogical plot lines, the author must:
    • A summary of your story (a real plot summary)
    • have a fixed story settings right from the start. (It's better if it's noted and remembered at all times)
    • have a story outline of the whole story already. At least, you know which direction your story will go. If there are any addition or change in the plot you want to put in your story, you should plan well where exactly to put it.
    • have something like a timeline calendar of the story. It can be in your mind or on a notepad. As long as you have a story timeline, I think you'll be good.
    • re-read his/her own story before publishing it to keep the story's logic
    • check the story right from the start in case of forgotten(left out) plots or characters that were introduced from the start but never appeared again.
    • [Added due to many people recommending it] PLAN AHEAD.
    Anyway, these are just a few that I had in mind. I had written a story before but it was a failure so I started writing it again. I had researched how to write a good story but I still haven't posted it anywhere yet because I want to make a lot of chapters and have an editor to check it for me. If anyone still has other tips, can you please post it here so I can learn more about writing stories.
    You don't have to be as meticulous as what I've listed. That's just my thoughts so you can correct me if I made a wrong tip.
    Also, you can give examples of stories with illogical plot lines and what you thought what should have been written instead of the original.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    reagents 11, yywee and TamaSaga like this.
  2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    • Write short stories until you improve as an author
    • Separate your story into volumes and plan it out.
    • Hire a professional editor
    • Take writing courses/classes
    Cheers!

Cian-Chan likes this.
  3. aceclover95

aceclover95 『Starry Night Translator』『Ruler of Sloth』

Reading List:
    Link
    • Make someone read your story and have them point out inconsistencies in your story
    • Keep track of every characters, their personality, back story, their relations to other characters, etc in a seperate note
    I only have these two advises lol

Cian-Chan likes this.
  4. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's important to make a distinction between Mary Sues and reader inserts. The former is bad because they're so unrealistic, while the latter is there to let the reader vicariously experience something (like xuanhuan characters getting stronger and going from a loser to a badass).

As for plots, you just need to make sure that what characters do it believable given the personalities / backstories you've given them. The mistake lots of authors make is to make the characters do things just because they want the plot to go in a certain direction, like guys allowing a horrible girl to walk all over them / forgiving her for the worst crimes and betrayals because the author has decided she's going to be a love interest, etc.

This is how you get a big disconnect and where readers start feeling like the MC is an idiot and the plot is BS.

You need to find a way to tell a good story but without undermining it just to get to the stuff you want to show.

kcao1199, Astaroth and Cian-Chan like this.
  5. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To prevent illogical plot lines, plan ahead. Very few can write by the seat of their pants and expect the story to stay coherent from start to end.

Those that do get a brownie medal and brief admiration but the mountain of failures tend to get laughed at and dropped.

After that, you need a beta reader who's serious about your story to serve as a second pair of eyes.

Astaroth and Cian-Chan like this.
  6. Cian-Chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I'm not just talking about Mary Sue novels. There are always a novel out there in which when you read a certain part of it, you go "huh? how did the story plot come to this?"

7. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah sorry I added a bit more xD
    You've just got to be believable when writing your story's events, even if the world itself and the characters are made up.

8. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, that's how i feel about life, most days.

Astaroth and joey183 like this.
  9. PoopyDoopy

PoopyDoopy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats a very difficult question boy, over the course of these last milenias only a select few could do it... Are you ready?
    Using your brain.

Astaroth likes this.
  10. Romashk

Romashk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This helped in any art I dabbled in:

Plan ahead. Or at least have a goal in mind.

Leave it alone for a week. Then make adjustments and corrections.

Know when to stop. Rabbit hole of "perfect" is deep.

:blobmelt:

11. die4jingshi

die4jingshi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    run a story thru someone who is totally not interested in the genre. trust me, youll get plenty of feedback on logic.

12. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm against the whole entire plan ahead mentality. It's like wanting to write a story simply so you can write a couple of cool sounding lines, where it should be the other way around. I like to plan ahead, but in a very loose, organic way. Basically, the reason for logical inconsistencies in web novels is because the authors simply don't care about their works. They don't care if it makes sense or if it feels right. I'm sure writing something regularly for a fan base brings with it a lot of pressure.

In my opinion, you don't need to do something as stiff and rigid as writing notes or plans. Instead you should simply read and comprehend what you have written, so that you may build on it in the future. I don't understand how writers could forget about something as important as their own works of fiction. Unless that is you are the forgetful type, then perhaps notes may be necessary.

Sabruness, Astaroth and Cian-Chan like this.
  13. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Write more + get more experience = no more illogical plot lines.

Low experience = make mistakes

Don't want mistakes? Then don't write at all. Mistakes are learning experience.

14. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't worry if you have bottleneck, stray out path, make illogical thing or ridiculous plot armor in writing story, some web novel site may "suggest" what story and direction what you should write. You don't have to think anything, they will think for you

Btw, what is this Mary Sue novel thing???

15. Lswarmruler

Lswarmruler 『Anya, The Cutest Esper Loli』《Spy x Family Manga》

Reading List:
    Link
    I think what u meant is "forced plotlines".. and rather than too much complain/rant about plots, sometimes just better to not think "why this and that", and just continue read the story, as there might be a hidden explanation.. also to not get dissappointed dont ever force the author's plot to ur own expectation... as ultimately it is not ur story and ur just a reader...

16. Alundric

Alundric Member of Gentleman Alliance

Reading List:
    Link
    Well.... All i can suggest is when you make a story, plan ahead and plot it to finish first then step back reread the plot and add spice. Make the few arch inside the plot to be knotted tied, cut off each and every loose end. The best example are "the experimental log of the crazy lich" its a solid story with the only downfall in too long extra information (even though it is indeed important)

17. Mighty Action X

Mighty Action X Mighty and Invincible

Reading List:
    Link
    Always retrace your previous chapters.

18. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  19. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    well. . .
    it really is hard. . .
    even in real world there are full of illogical and idiotic things. . .
    but welp, they are still part of our world,

also some well maid stories in the past may or may not appear illogical now in the present . . . .
    but hell, an author must make a list of things or rules that he had made himself and not just write things when they think it looks good. . .
    a lot. . as in a darn lot of authors forgot that they have done this and that and those during that scene some chapters ago. . .
    and then boom screw all that and just forget and scrap it like it didn't happen. . .

20. Cian-Chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, think of some illogical small details like a supposedly genius protagonist got fooled or made an idiotic action. Just to make interesting or challenges to the plot, they write things that are inconsistent to the characters.