Resolved How Translator react on NU review on Novel they recently did?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Exvalkyrie, May 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exvalkyrie

Exvalkyrie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While i think most NU review should be taken with grain of salt, it really bug me off when a review i did( only did review if it really Urged me to, like i only did 2 so far) same dated as translator last post and a week later confirmed that he/she/apache-helicopter dropped it.
    My question is, on what basis most of translator here stopped their works? traffic ? on post comment? NU rating or NU review?

While i do feel bad because reading raw ahead and post review based on it feels like giving Spoiler,
    do one review based on future enough to stop average-4star-novel to be translated?

Note: I not making this post because i just viewed on it's NU novel page and feels like grumpy old folks
    throwing cold water to younglings enthusiasm, absolutely not okay??

2. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    loss of motivation
    hatred to translate
    laze to use dictionary

3. Eques

Eques Translation machine (not)

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure about other people, but I translate because I like the novels I translate and want more people to appreciate them. While a negative review is somewhat unpleasant (because it means the person writing it criticizes something I like), it wouldn't cause me to drop a novel. Well, I'm not earning any money from translating, so maybe I don't care that much? :cookie:

Edit: and I translate danmei, sometimes we're flamed kinda by default :blobcheeky:

aoiisora, Moy, kenar and 6 others like this.
  4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably, mislead to the novel, like at first they are like
    Yeah, this novel is cool and the characters and the plot are to my liking :hmm:, I WILL DO IT :blobhero:
    Some chapters later into tranaslation, they find something which they didn't expect :blobangery:, plot, characters, well something that destroyed their willingness to continue :blobdizzy: so they will be like
    [​IMG]

Fuyuneko likes this.
  5. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would drop.

If I share, that's cause I want people to appreciate what I liked. If there's more people showing negativity to something I'm sharing for free, then I'd just drop it and enjoy them myself. It'd be way less a hassle than having to translate, publish and manage them.

kenar, nonononononono, Rumby and 3 others like this.
  6. greeeed

greeeed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I see.
    If it is from ww or qi, than it is better to ignore 1 star review.

7. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    no money, no time, hit by RL,

thisworldofmine1 likes this.
  8. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    well , many ungrateful fellow out there,

kenar, Blitz, LaDyViL and 1 other person like this.
  9. Donuts

Donuts Endless surge of emotions

Reading List:
    Link
    Well i don’t want to hurt their feelings either but some novel was really suck ass. It was so bad that even though the translation was completed but i still couldn’t make it through to end. feelsbadman

thisworldofmine1 likes this.
  10. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe there's more to it than just your post, like because of reasons the Translator was already planning to quit, but still holding on because of reasons, but your post was the final trigger, something like that.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  11. Exvalkyrie

Reading List:
    Link
    That's right isn't it? from what i see 12 user give it 5 stars, and post comment all positive. Yet they stopped and my review feel out of place.
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series...th-of-a-kingdom-medieval-europe-is-too-harsh/

Eques and thisworldofmine1 like this.
  12. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not a translator but the kind of review "I read ahead, I can say that it's the same as 'this popular novel that I read before'." is really a massive cockblock, you know. It's not gonna stop me from reading them but it can be discouraging sometimes.

13. Exvalkyrie

Reading List:
    Link
    it only have 2 ch(test water phase) and somehow turn out many giving hope, yet they stopped.
    when i think to write the review, it just for warning and never to stop the TL to stop, feels bad and maybe not trying again to review on new novel.

14. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    reality hits. hard.

kenar and Wujigege like this.
  15. Eques

Eques Translation machine (not)

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe they read ahead and it was bad, maybe they got bored, maybe it was supposed to be just a teaser (though it's usually mentioned)... Hard to say if your review was the reason. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fuyuneko likes this.
  16. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Who knows. Ask the translator.

17. AerynW

AerynW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My order of demotivation:
    1. Someone poaches my project(s).
    2. RL stuff
    3. Lack of reaction (comments/likes/readers)
    4. Asking to update faster repeatedly.
    5. Low reviews/ratings (not everyone has the same opinion, doesn't really bother me, but I do feel a bit sad if they don't like it. I also translate danmei (and yuri), so there are some people who auto rate it 1-star.)

There's so many things that can demotivate me and things might slow down, but I like to finish the things that I started so I usually don't quit.

Don't feel bad since you're being honest, they probably have a combination of other factors that lead them to quit.

Kuro_0ni and Ars like this.
  18. Ars

Ars Simple-Minded Trash

Reading List:
    Link
    Every translator has their own motivations, but at the end of the day, if the translator enjoys the story then they'll translate it. If they hate the story, they're not going to want to read it, let alone take the time to turn the words into another language. It's really easy for a reader to drop a story for any reason. Translation is hard work, so it isn't a surprise if a hobbyist translator wants to drop a story, too.

The translator who was working on the story you linked has other projects that they're currently translating. It looks like they just found projects that they like more and think are more worth their time :blobtongue:There are so many stories out in the world that there's no reason to force yourself on a story if you could be working on something you like more.

Maybe a story is decent and a lot of people like it, but if the translator doesn't enjoy working on it, then none of that matters (unless it's their job). There was a popular story that I picked up because someone requested me to. It had high ratings, lots of positive reviews/comments/etc, and it was extremely easy to translate... but in the end, no matter how popular it was, I ended up dropping it just because the story was so bad to me that I felt braindead every time I worked on it. It felt like a waste of time, and once you get to that point, you're better off finding someone else to keep translating that story while you go off to do something more fulfilling.

Kleep, Kuro_0ni and Fuyuneko like this.
  19. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    All of the above

20. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't say that. People are entitled to their opinion. What I liked, they might not like. However, if what I like and share keep getting bashed, I'd rather drop it rather than continue sharing it. I'd feel stupid and embarrassed to continue sharing them when people are just gonna pick at it, and probably points that I liked.

Sure, there might be people who liked it. They should have stick up for the ones I'm sharing before I stopped rather than going silence and think it's just words. Those words hurts more than getting pirates scrapping your site for your chapters.

So before I got influenced and start hating the novel too, I'd drop them. It's not like I'm getting paid anyway.

What makes you think they stopped because of your review?

kenar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.