I got no time

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Matteus, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't understand these people that say "you shouldn't give your opinion about the novel before reading at least 200 chapters" like, seriously? Do you read half of the Harry Potter/ASOIAF series before making your mind about it? It doesn't make sense.

Cream, orematcha and AliceShiki like this.
  2. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    They probably meant like the Chinese online webnovel chapters or just short chapters in general. And actually, if I don't like it in at max 10 chapters, I throw the book or webnovel away at the back of my mind, so I understand you a little.

3. jbturkle

jbturkle Fruit

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just some novels don't get into the good stuff immediately. I've read many novels that require me to struggle through the first bit to get to the good stuff. It's usually either because the author improves, the story starts slow, or because it's the type of story that develops and fills in holes over time. Reading 5-10 chapters usually isn't enough to form a proper decision. Even if you can't stand it, don't post harshly critical reviews about early chapters that aren't reflective of the story as a whole. It might drive off potential readers by giving them the wrong impression.

Cream likes this.
  4. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Well some novels got better in time and if you consider the length of other translated novels, 200 chapters or so may be not much length percentage-wise.

But yeah, even I think that 200+ chapters is just too much for my patience...

Cream likes this.
  5. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    that's why quality over quantity. What you make sense of a novel will be different from each person to another. And the mood at the time affect yourself too. So, mostly i will just keep the novel outside my reading list for a while, and coming to them later on after I have the time.

Cream and Matteus like this.
  6. Matteus

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually read 50 chapters, if you can't make me into it, I'm going to drop it. Hundreds of chapters with 2-3 thousand words is a little too much.

7. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    well, giving opinions is free,
    JUST there's a reason for that, will you believe someone if he said she is a good one after one meeting with her ?
    If it's me, i won't.

8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Who says that?
    You should read just a good amount of it to decide, to me it is chapter 1(and chapter0 as well if exist) after that I decide whether to continue or drop the novel

9. Omniscient Viper

Omniscient Viper [Evil MC Enthusiast] [Park Jimin Biased]

Reading List:
    Link
    I only have a problem with this because of the reviews I see on this site. You have people reading a 1000+ chapter novel and giving a bad review on It when they've only read 20 chapters. If you don't have time to read a novel then don't criticize It and tell other people It's bad If you haven't even gotten halfway through the damn thing.

10. Matteus

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the novel should have both. I saw so many novels with high praises but after trying to read, the novel was at the most at an average level and it's supposed to "get better" after 2 or 3 arcs.

thisworldofmine1 likes this.
  11. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    unless someone tells me or I read that a novel has arough start I drop after 3-15 chapters depending on how bad it is

thisworldofmine1 likes this.
  12. jbturkle

jbturkle Fruit

Reading List:
    Link
    Webnovels are, after all, amateur works. If you try to compare new authors with the more popular works by big, experienced authors like Er Gen, they won't compare. It takes time for the authors to improve. Sometimes, that can take multiple arcs.

13. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link

It depends on what you are giving an opinion on. If the novel is boring, sure. But for example, I've seen plenty of people give opinions on worldbuilding after reading less than 20 chapters, even though everything is explained later on. Though 200 chapters is still quite a bit, I mean some korean and japanese novels are under that.

AliceShiki, kenar, jbturkle and 3 others like this.
  14. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, in Chinese and Japanese novels, for that matter, you often only get to the real meat of the novel after at least 100 chapters. It is often quite hard to tell until then if the novel is actually good or not. There are some novels that seem interesting at the start and then go down the hill after a while, and there are some novels where you might think are not that great until some time passes. My main thing is the MC needs some time to develop. Whatever the novel is, you need time to get to know the characters and the MC, and that usually takes a while, especially if you want to see some character growth.
    Take Overgeared, for example. Until about 300 chapters MC is a total dud. He slowly changes his personality until that point and only after that you see him behaving like a person and not some mental patient. The novel becomes much better after that.
    Or take Konjiki no Word Master. You start with a loner MC who runs away from people and relationships and you end with the same exact thing at the end, where he freaking runs away from everyone who cares for him and lets them think he is dead for quite a while.
    So yea, unless the novel is truly terrible, where writing itself is just awful, you can't really tell if it will be good or bad until you read a good amount of chapters.

Cream likes this.
  15. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    200 chapters is certainly meant for a long novel with 1000+ chapters :) Of course, if the novel is 100-150 chapters, the development is much faster and you should get some proper development within 20 chapters. I think a better metric is reading 10-20% of the novel before forming an opinion. With exceptions, of course. There some utterly stupid MCs in otherwise interesting worlds.

16. jbturkle

jbturkle Fruit

Reading List:
    Link
    There's also LNs that require multiple volumes for character development and growth.

17. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yea, and if it's Japanese novel, it requires 10 volumes to hold hands with a girl.... But yea, often you expect to read a few volumes to get some proper character development or to observe the lack of thereof

18. UDI

UDI Writer / Emcee / Lime Blood

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn only ten? You're probably reading some doujin or something.

Matteus likes this.
  19. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it's a minimum. I can't quote the maximum number since it's not bound. Besides, that's without getting over the shyness of holding hands

20. UDI

UDI Writer / Emcee / Lime Blood

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course of course. Legends speak of a shoujo series with more than a thousand volumes in which the main characters actually
    kissed
    Indecent! I know.

Matteus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.