Spoiler I Might be a Big Shot

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by solowars, Jun 30, 2018.

1. solowars

solowars Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: I Might be a Big Shot (我可能是个大人物)
    Raws: http://www.jjwxc.net/onebook.php?novelid=3258383 | http://www.danmeila.com/xuanhuanlingyi/30423.html
    Author's Summary: (my rough translation)

After Chang Kong Zhuo Yu suddenly finds that his martial arts are considerably amazing, he starts to suspect that he could be a big shot.

He definitely has countless subordinates waiting for him to come back and take charge, but he's probably lost his memory because of a life-changing event.

Li Xing Lun: ....

So, Chang Kong Zhuo Yu decides that he needs to recover his past memories, and take responsibility for all the subordinates he's left behind!

Li Xing Lun: Shifu, please wake up, you're so silly, how can you be a big shot!

inexplicably confident shou x calculating two-faced gong

My summary: After Li Xing Lun's sect is massacred and he's thrown into a deep abyss where he's unable to use martial arts, he meets Chang Kong Zhuo Yu, a mean with no memories of his past life, other than an inexplicable feeling that he could have been a important person. Li Xing Lun agrees to become Chang Kong Zhuo Yu's disciple if he can get them out of the abyss, and thus begins their hilarious journey to figure out if Chang Kong Zhuo Yu was an important person, and get revenge for Li Xing Lun.

I'll start writing spoilers for this in the next post, just give me some time to get it all together!

Ease, Jadeite524, clear and 5 others like this.
  2. solowars

Reading List:
    Link
    So we get the story from both POVs, but I'll just refer to Chang Kong Zhuo Yu (Chang Kong is his surname) as MC and Li Xing Lun as ML for convenience sake. I’ll just say that if you can read the raws or MTL, please do so, because the mystery of MC’s identity is super interesting and the reveal and how everything worked out was fantastic – spoilers will not give the same satisfaction.

Background to the world the novel is set in:

It’s basically the usual cultivation setting, with demonic cultivators and righteous cultivators forming different sects. However, in this novel, gods were the ones who created the world, but they left the world many thousands of years before the story starts. The gods channeled godly energy/power, while the cultivators challenged spiritual/demonic energy. Before the gods left, they gave the humans 9 mystical godly items which became treasures held by the major demonic/righteous sects.

Start of MC and ML meeting:
    Story starts off with ML in the abyss, which he jumped into while running away from the demonic cultivators who had killed his family and were chasing after him. ML is a pretty low-level cultivator from a small family sect, so he doesn’t understand why they were chasing him. The abyss prevents cultivators from using their martial arts/spiritual power, so ML is unable to get out. It’s also surrounded by a thick fog, so ML can’t see anything either. ML chose to jump into the abyss because he wanted to stay alive to get revenge for his family, even though there’s no known way to escape the abyss.

ML wanders around the abyss for days and eventually meets MC, whom he realizes can see in the fog. He basically bumps into MC by accidentally tickling him, and realizes that MC can see him through the fog. MC turns all the fog into a set of clothing (the fog is actually spiritual equipment), and MC is revealed to be a really beautiful person (he’s the best looking person in this entire novel, but there’s a reason for this!!!). MC’s personality makes ML go wtf at first because MC doesn’t know anything about himself, and even thinks up a name for himself on the spot. MC is also convinced he must be a super powerful/important figure with many subordinates waiting for him to get back out of the abyss, for some inexplicable reason. He’s really convinced on this point, despite having zero memories of anything from his past life, including his name, and he also has zero knowledge about the world.

MC and ML wander the abyss together while trying to figure out how to escape, and they get to know each other during this time. MC’s personality is pretty childish – one of the first things he says to ML is “your looks aren’t as nice as mine”, and he likes having things that are nicer than others’. Also, MC is convinced he can do anything, it’s just that he’s forgotten how to. He has a great sense of imagination, in that he will twist any new information he gets to suit his perception of himself as a great person. For example, when ML tells MC they can’t use spiritual power in the abyss so they can’t fly, MC says “no wonder, I’m so powerful, there’s no reason for me not to know how to fly”. ML is really doubtful of MC’s claim, but mostly just humors MC because he was able to control the fog in the abyss.

At one of the walls in the abyss, there are seven words carved high up (which I won’t try and translate but it’s meaningful and important to the plot later on). MC is convinced he was the one who carved it, and proves it by jumping high enough and tracing the wall carving. However, MC can’t jump beyond a certain point, so ML despairs of them ever getting out of the abyss. Eventually, they figure out that while they can’t use spiritual power in the abyss, MC can channel godly energy and break through the barrier around the abyss. This impresses ML, because ordinary cultivators can’t channel godly energy, and he’s more inclined to believe MC is some big shot in the cultivation world. They manage to escape the abyss due to MC’s power.

Will continue later, desperately need sleep now lol!

3. scriptor

scriptor 『Sigilmaster』 『Immortal Sage』

Reading List:
    Link
    Good choice for novel! I MTL'ed this one a while back lol, it's pretty cute. CKZY is hilariously convinced about his own importance and often leaves LXL speechless/concerned about him lololol. Thing is, CKZY really is OP and you don't find out the reason why until end of the story. The seven words carved on the wall in the abyss also have a VERY surprising origin lol, one that you also find out at the end -- this is a novel that does an excellent job wrapping up all loose ends that you thought weren't all that relevant.

CKZY = shou
    LXL = gong

Ease, Jadeite524, clear and 2 others like this.
  4. solowars

Reading List:
    Link
    I know right!!! The author does an amazing job of foreshadowing, and everything makes sense at the end. I think I just went like 'woah......' for 5 minutes during the big reveal.

scriptor likes this.
  5. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm convinced to read this now. But I need some questions answered so I know how to categorize this novel (I read stuff based on my mood, so the categorizing is important >_<). How loving is the couple? Is there smut or anything close to it, fade to black, or nothing at all? Does the romance take a large portion of the novel, or is taking the backseat for the sake of the plot? I'd read this either way, but it's useful to know~ Some days I'm tired of romance, and some days that's all I want to read xD;;. So I have to find the suitable novels.

6. scriptor

Reading List:
    Link
    They are a super, super sweet couple. But they don't officially get together until the very end because REASONS (again, this is one of those novels that you don't want too many spoilers for as you read because it's SO GOOD that way).

We get semi-smut/fade to black at the end, if I remember right. They had marathon s*x for like a year or something LOL. CKZY is a bit unlike most shou in danmei novels. He wasn't put out at all, just a bit surprised they did it for so long and thinking they could probably go again because it went by so fast ahahahaha~

Plot is king in this novel. Romance is second, you don't really see it except in LXL's 'black box' of thoughts and the ambiguous closeness that LXL and CKZY have towards each other. You can say they fall in love without really knowing it.

Ease, ahsudole, wildthorn and 3 others like this.
  7. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess they're double-cultivating and have super durable bodies, lol, wth, a year?! I thought the whole day and night marathon was too much. My eyes have been opened.

8. scriptor

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL. I think they were in honeymoon phase tbh.

9. solowars

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for the wait, I was unexpectedly busy these few days!

Start of ML and MC's adventures:

In the abyss, ML promised MC to become his disciple if he managed to get them out, which MC did, so their relationship is now shifu and disciple. However, MC doesn’t know anything, so when they escape the abyss he asks ML to show him how to absorb spiritual energy, which ends up with MC directing a huge amount of energy into ML, allowing MC to reach the next stage of cultivation. ML is more and more impressed with MC’s abilities, and begins to follow along with MC’s self-confident words.

MC promises to help ML get revenge for the killing of his family, while figuring out his own identity. Their next step after escaping is to find the Hundred Flowers Sect, so that ML can change his face (using a special kind of worm/bug), so that he can hide from the demonic cultivators who were trying to kill him. They get to a teashop to look for information, but MC and ML are too poor to afford any tea, so they ask for water. They get offered tea by the teashop owner, because he (like everyone else in the teahouse) is attracted by MC’s stunning good looks. However, teashop owner is actually a member of the poison sect, and the tea is drugged so that he can have his way with MC. ML doesn’t fall for the plot, but MC drinks the tea, and is completely unaffected. Teashop owner is scared, because only people with super high cultivation wouldn’t be affected by the drugs he used, so he begs MC for mercy. MC and ML get teashop owner to take them directly to the poison sect. Hilarious moment here where MC wants more tea from teashop owner because he liked it, but he misunderstands it to mean that MC wants the drug (which are rare and expensive). Sad MC didn’t get the tea he wanted, so ML has to comfort him by saying he’ll buy good tea for MC next time.

At the poison sect, the sect leader offers MC the Hundred Flowers Tea, which he really likes, but it ends up being poisonous tea (again), and the sect leader is shocked because the only other person who has ever been unaffected by the tea was the former leader of the demonic cultivators, Xue Qian Jie, who was famous about two thousand years ago. The sect leader and sect elder tells MC and ML the story of Xue Qian Jie, a blood cultivator who gained fame after breaking through the (supposedly unbreakable) protective array of the Kunlun righteous sect after being trapped inside the array for twenty years, and then conquering all the demonic sects and making sure they stopped doing evil acts. However, he disappeared from the world hundreds of years ago.

MC is immediately convinced that he is in fact the disappeared Xue Qian Jie, and manages to give a whole list of reasons why, which mostly revolve around it being MC’s gut feeling that he is a really big shot in the martial arts world (and that both MC and Xue Qian Jie are really good looking). To everyone’s amazement, when the sect elder brings out one of the few existing portraits of Xue Qian Jie, MC’s clothes (the white mist from the abyss) transform into an exact replica of the portraits, and the sect elder is stunned by the similarity. Convinced they’ve found the missing Xue Qian Jie, the sect leader and sect elder agree to help ML with changing his looks. ML is still really doubtful of MC’s claim to be Xue Qian Jie, although he does admit there are a lot of similarities.

ML successfully changes his looks, and MC, having convinced himself of his identity, decides to take them to the demonic cultivation world. Sect leader follows along (she had a big crush on Xue Qian Jie’s portrait, although she’s never met him). Another funny moment where MC again tries to ask for more of tea, but sect leader gives him the rare and expensive poison added to the tea instead. ML thinks that MC’s ‘trying not to cry because he didn’t get any tea again’ face is adorable.

10. Fwndli

Fwndli New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you link the MTL to it???