Discussion I need to talk about 'I have a super usb drive'

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Azriel, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Azriel

Azriel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, I have a love and hate relationship with this novel. For those who have not read it, its basically a guy finds a USB drive and finds out that if he puts certain movies on it, he can pull items from that movie into the real world. There are limits, he needs to charge it with a huge amount of power (industrial transformers, nuclear reactors...etc), he can't pull living things through, and so far he can only pull stuff that could theoretically exist in reality, if the movie is too fantastic like the MCU, it simply will not accept the movie. So he mainly opens up scifi movies that show a potential future or alternative reality and brings in tech from those movies, studies them and tries to reverse engineer them.

I absolutely love the concept of this, but the author made the MC an idiot and not properly abuse the USB hack. The first thing he did which I agree with is that he took the pills and later the shot from the show of limitless so he could make himself super smart. The issue is that while he is described as a genius after taking the pills, he sure does not feel like it. Regardless, he pulls out some devices to reverse engineer and make money off of and to build a company. So I am expecting him to bring a lot of cool stuff to the world, reverse engineer and sell right? Wrong, it wastes time with him getting scientists together to research and solve an issue which should not be an issue because there is bound to be a movie that has the tech to solve it already. Its frustrating how the MC is not properly using the magic tech.

Ok, so I am curious what other people think and how they would have used the USB if they got it.

2. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    So... no zombies from Resident Evil? I mean the T virus when properly used sounds cool, just look at Alice (as diehard RE fans cringe).

Also, I think it is another kind of smart for him NOT to just abuse the system and grab random hightech shits so much so that their govt takes note of them. You do know what happens when the govt finds out you have the potential to outpace them right?

Keep your high tech closer to the ground makes it feel more real like a proper startup, going all alien will have the govt starts to budge into your office for answers, maybe even have you suicide just to take over your company.

3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't read it yet but if I have a usb like that, I will follow a slightly different process than what the MC did, for example, I might use 'Captain America: First Avenger' to get the super soldier formula, because at that point the world wasn't that much different than the reality, after that, I will share that with the world so reality makes a step into the domain of sci-fi and fantasy stuff, like that I am somewhat terraforming the world and the usb should be able to accept more movies then :hmm:

4. Lord Sith Lego

Lord Sith Lego Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea only an idiot will go full blown high tech crap at start making themselves a target. Gotta slowly raise your power level until people can't touch you anymore is the smart move.

Elisee and 0000000 like this.
  5. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on exactly how it works but just having an item isn't that useful for money unless you can reverse engineer it to patent and use it.

So, 3 different possible paths that can work at the same time. One is personal things like high security systems, body/lifespan upgrades, and so on. The more subtle and unnoticeable by those around you the better. Like an AI personal assistant in your home computer that helps you organize and protect your data.

The other half is things that you can extract money from. Engineering plans are unlikely in most movies but gold, diamonds and other materials are fairly easy to find.

The 3rd path is taking your own money and making short films on subjects you want to extract.

Finally, you could write your own version of all this. New characters, tech, etc.

evilwang likes this.
  6. M4rcosR3is

M4rcosR3is Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    man, did you guy's notice that fellow NUF's gave the novel a perfect start up plot?
    the mc bring out super soldier serum and use on himself plus some other smartass serum like other people talked about!!.
    them he come up with the idea to study the T virus serum because Alice is clear above grade soldier than "standard" super soldier, something happens,maybe like other nuf's stated the government tries to check up the mc because of his fast "accession", since if it did not became clear yet, the mc started up to make money-fame with pharmaceutic(serum business), bringing it to the world, so the invaders release the t virus in the process of invading his lab-factory,maybe they have even took some sample back to his countries to study before the "accident" happens, thus making it fully global.
    hell of apocalypse is let out, people is dying, society is crumpling, but they have dealt a lot better than resident evil,because as i stated before, the mc make his fame-fortune in the "serum" Business, of course not with a full fleshed super soldier serum but like a lesser form like curing diseases,making people stronger, etc.
    this would be a super interesting novel to read about!!!!

i would totally read it; and worse i can see even future plot's, since zombies is out, the seek for better and stronger serum becomes a must, so the mc started selling better ones until it culminate in him fully studying the t virus serum and making sci-fi "esper style" society being born because of it!!

but i do agree with the others; trying to be too big at the start is crazy, even more if you cannot provide any "proof" from where your products came from, this is not fantasy setting, if you simple show up with a cure for cancer and don't give any study data, samples and proof how everything have been done, people is gonna just laugh at you, even if after few day-months-years some dying man come knocking at your door asking you to cure him and you do and society understand that you really cured cancer, the government would still knock at your door and maybe even lock you up for practicing medicine without license on that dying guy and the only way for you to be "free" and not locked up, would probably be sharing the profits with them or worse and still be locked up for a few years.
    So yeah, the author did it super right, made him take serum, became a smartass and started to developed some background tech with other smart ass groups, so when he bring this up and the big guns later, at least it will be enough to make everything be civilized!!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    The6thStreet likes this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this cat not wanna bring magic cuz this cat not believe any country can handle it~

also nope don't even try to pull movie stunt to become something like umbrella corp, there no idiot country lol~ all big corp associated and supported by country at least on high profile people across politic, military, industry and stuff~

hmm there movie about mini home computer, it size around flashlight~ interface like scific you know hologram stuff and all also that prototype at the end of movie so kinda safe~ the idea on that movie kinda good with mc want to make pc affordable to remote place that lack of energy such as africa~

movie about robot battle that use remote control or something that follow user movement~ this cat forget da title, it about robot boxing~ da follow movement tech is incredibly for manual heavy labour~ that tech can be foundation for various stuff~

Wall-E.... yeah that lil robot trash remover is enuf... the ai system, laser that can cut metal, make stuff into box shape....

Ghostbusters... that mini nuclear power to catch ghost.... too many stuff to take~

macross series hmm maybe zero, aircraft can transform into mecha.... that yes for this cat!

Yukikaze... there is scene da plane stay vertical beside an aircraft carrier mocking earth faction.... that more ridiculous than aircraft vertical take off....

Patlabor da movie, despite da JSDF UN force mecha slapped by Tungusta tank imo that because of da commander is fakku idiot~ there various.... welp seem this cat take too much war weaponry so thats all for now~

Greater thunder likes this.
  8. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for intruding, just wanted to remind everyone that using a random USB you found on the street isn't a wise choice.

evilwang, 8oni and Beren like this.
  9. Azriel

Azriel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Unfortunately, its part of the MCU and all movies of the MCU are not accepted by the USB since its a shared universe.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  10. Azriel

Azriel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just to give a few more points. So far, anime cannot be used by the USB, but live action anime (gantz for example) can. Also, there seems to be a size limitation, so far he is grabbing small stuff, but as the USB stores more power he can grab bigger stuff. I have no problem with him wanting to play it safe and not get the governments attention, that is fine. However, his actions are just weird. For example, he is working on an immortality project, cloning, reverse aging...etc. He is getting a bunch of scientists together and making it happen. The issue is that he is doing everything from scratch, which is weird, because I am pretty sure there are movies that have tech that can do this already. Why he does not just get the tech and study it to speed things along...I do not know. Its frustrating.

Anyway, say the government was not a factor. What fictional tech would you bring and give to the world?

11. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically the original captain America was made by the predecessor of Marvel, a company called 'Timely Comics', the concept of super heroes back then wasn't the same as nowadays, as back then they (the timely characters who were the original super heroes) used to fight nazis and japanese as soldiers in a sense, in fact (I believe I read about this somewhere), back then, there were actually (IRL) those who tried to make super soldiers, so from that, we can say that the world of that movie was yet to be apart of the MCU (at least the MCU wasn't a thing back then) and partially based on real life, but anyway, MCU movies aren't the only source, there are lots of other movies that could be used like 'Mutronics' for example

12. Azriel

Azriel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Ok, that might work, depends on the author if he accepts that or not. Some other facts of the USB. If you use a tv show, you have to upload all the tv episodes in order to pull something from a particular episode. For example, the MC pulled the brain pills from the limitless movie and later tried to pull the injection (cures the negative aspects of the pill) from an episode of the limitless tv series, it accepted the video, but he could not pull out the injection which he theorized he needed all the episodes, when he put all the episodes in, it worked.

13. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    A time travel machine from one of those movies about time travel (going back in time and introducing modern tech to the past should either improve the modern tech or destroy the modern world but I will hope the the world becomes more advanced) or those pills from 'Equilibrium' or even the mutagen from tmnt
    Good, but movies are more than enough

Im_right and Azriel like this.
  14. Tinty89

Tinty89 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wonder if he could pull money from them movies, and if they are usable in his reality. Was it ever mentioned if he tries? Premises seems interesting.

15. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Sleep-deprived-enthusiast |Daydreaming Literate Mon~key|

Reading List:
    Link
    If I had that USB, then I would one thing, RULE THE EARTH. Not literally but from the shadows as everything is quite literally possible by planning things out and taking things step-by-step. Like mentioned by other user, I can terraform the Earth and stuff. Specifically I will share technological advancements of the sci-fi world, and all science knowledge including medical knowledge to cure every disease, genetical modification, miracle pills, and lifespan extending. Also, getting a self-sustaining energy source would be one of my main goal so I can exploit it to the max.

I can literally develop Earth's civilization to the point where everyone would feel things are just so surreal but they have no choice but to accept the reasoning promoted by the de-facto government as I will promote fairness and develop laws from the brightest minds for majority support. Then we move on to mars, the solar system, Milky way and beyond. I'm not sure of the space politics though but I sure as hell won't make an empire but heavily related nations with truly meritocratic, open-minded transgalactic organizations that can protect humanity, prevent wars and unnecessary massacres of each other, and also keep each other in check. And I won't make clones and make humans dependent on AI - planning for countermeasures against this too as well as parasites, viruses, and mind-controlling - because that's just a recipe for disaster and annihilation.

16. Azriel

Azriel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

That would have been a good idea early on, but he is a billionaire now and money really isn't an issue.

Tinty89 likes this.
  17. Tinty89

Tinty89 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, that was what I would have tried at the start, as a sort of start-up fund, or something. As long as you don't spend too much at once, no one would really bother looking into it.

18. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the issue is that the author is trying to write a genius when they are not that smart.

Azriel, Aedenvuur and SamStrike like this.
  19. Azriel

Azriel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I jumped ahead and read MTL versions since the translated versions can't keep up. The author finally does more with the USB and making more proper use of it. However, now the problem is that the MC has become one of those garbage MC's that become overly arrogant and ruthless. It is frustrating, because whenever the MC wants something or someone gives him even a slight inconvenience, instead of trying to communicate with the other party, he just goes in and kidnaps and often just flat out kills them and just takes what he wants. Besides that, I will say again, I have no idea why the author gave the MC the drug in limitless, you can't tell the difference between when he is on it and when he is not, besides the author saying "his thinking is clearer" or using it as a plot device to explain how the MC avoided a mental attack.

Elisee and linmeili like this.
  20. forevermtl

forevermtl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am at around chapter 450. My only problem so far is with the MC. Sometimes he is too emotionally unstable and does stuff that is very extreme. The author himself is at least aware of this and the surrounding characters comment this behavior.

There is a hidden plot going on with the USB Drive and the world setting.
    For example there is the Word Government that formed after the fall of the Soviet Union. The MC finds this very strange that somehow all superpowers started working together.
    There are at least 2 other people who had the USB Drive before him. The one before him was responsible for the formation of the World Government. He pulled out a Quantum Computer for them that only predicts future disasters. The World Government was formed around the Quantum Computer to prevent the world from getting destroyed. Which almost happened twice since the beginning of the story.

The MC is the 3rd holder of the USB Drive. The 2nd holder turned himself into a metaphysical existence that wanted to take over the consciousness of the whoever the next holder is.
    He found out some secret about the USB Drive and got scared as fuck of the 1st holder. So he tried to hide himself from the 1st holder with this method. He was the one who put the horror movies at the beginning of the story into the USB Drive. Had the MC opened those movies first, the 2nd holder would have succeeded.

The 1st holder was revealed to be the Professor who gave the lecture when the MC found the USB Drive. The MC speculates that it was way too much of a coincidence that it was him of all people that found it. And he was chosen by the Professor for some reason to be the 3rd holder.

The USB Drive itself holds some strange secret. It wasn't always in the form of a USB Drive. Since USB was invented around 1994. The USB Drive can change shape, the reason is unknown.

Places the USB Drive accepts have to be scientifically possible. What falls under "scientifically possible" is up to the author. The movies he chose are understandable.
    Another requirement is that the world background has to be detailed enough. The MC tried once a movie, but he couldn't open it. So he put the sequels and TV series into it, and then it was accepted.
    It is also hinted that it could be any piece of literature like books or games.

The first feature is that stuff can be copied from movies. To get stuff out of the USB drive requires electricity of equal amount. Something small like pills doesn't require much power. But something big like a car needs a huge amount of electricity to copy.

The second feature is that it can open a portal to the specified world. The MC finds it very strange that the worlds he goes to are always destroyed or wiped out. Even though in the movies there wasn't a hint of something apocalyptic going on.
    For example "Ready Player One". When he goes there to get VR technology he finds out that everyone is dead.
    Another example is "Elysium" where he gets the MedPod 3000 that can heal every type of injury. He finds out that everyone is dead and only giant piles of bones remain.

The third and hidden feature is that the movies he opens affect reality. He once experimented with making movies himself and accessing the world. He financed a movie where someone made the lesser version of the "Limitless" drug that could cure Alzheimer's. The background was Earth a couple of years into the future, the fictional company and researcher who invented the drug turned up in reality in the same year the movie played out.
    Another one was the same disaster that wiped out Elysium turned up on Earth and almost killed everyone if the MC hadn't intervened.

These mysteries and hidden plot surrounding the USB Drive and World background are thrilling to read. The story thankfully doesn't have stupid Chinese nationalism and brain-dead racism. My only problem is that the MC sometimes behaves extremely erratic. If it wasn't that there are plot reasons that interfere mess up with MC's thinking I would have dropped the novel long ago.

linmeili likes this.