Question I tried to ask permission to translate a Series but the author didn't permit it, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Daike1234, Mar 31, 2016.

?

What do you think I should do.

1. Continue It and Ignore the author

17 vote(s)
    11.6%
  2. Stop it

83 vote(s)
    56.5%
  3. Convince the author

47 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    There isn't much of a point to repeatedly tell OP to "ask first idiot" when it's already happened. I'm sure OP know this already by now and even if OP didn't OP would've the last 10 times OP was told the same thing already.

Besides that I'm curious why nobody is asking about what was even said first, like we get the Author's reply, but what did he actually reply to? Knowing what was said at first could probably help quite a bit in understanding what the Author is thinking, from the looks of it you don't know much Japanese, right? So it shouldn't be a surprise if the combination of google translate + seeing that you've already translated part of the Author's work gave him the wrong impression.

After all, if you were just trying to exploit him or something, why would you later bring it to his attention that you're already translating it?

Besides that I basically agree with the idea of making sure that you're not trying to use his work for profit or anything, and try to make sure like you're not just contentiously bugging him (As best as you can, some people are just dead set on being upset regardless of what you say.). If he's still dead set on not letting you continue then that's that basically.

Random, CDLevit and ICe like this.
  2. Reugros14

Reugros14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, they don't...however pissed off ones really I mean like FUCKING REALLLYYYYYYYY DOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

kenar and estelion like this.
  3. estelion

estelion Magna Cumlord

Reading List:
    Link
    Incidentally, if we're not using の, why are we going ではんかったです instead of ではありませんでした or ではございませんでした

4. Punllarena

Punllarena A cheat Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    This already happened to @estelion so I'm not surprised.

5. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The person they're contacting is japanese right? One of the entitled people who believe they're descendants of gods and even went on a raping and pillaging spree in the 30-40's. Not surprising they'd get angry for you using their stuff, they only believe in using others, not the other way around.

Astaroth likes this.
  6. estelion

estelion Magna Cumlord

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm? You mean when the author of Tilea's Worries got grumpy at me, but let me continue with a fake smile, or do you mean when the author of Second Life happily told me that she would help me hide from the publishers?
    Pretty much every major nation has done something as bad in the 70 years since. Don't be a faggot. We're angry because they're denying it, and writing gay history textbooks, not because a bunch of pretty much dead geezers had their moment of atrociousness back in the day.

kainee, Random, moto and 4 others like this.
  7. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    mind telling what novel? Im behind of these news. =v

8. Reugros14

Reading List:
    Link
    and also 真に this can be considered a tinge of informal, but it still works, however this ==>誠に is purely formal. Yeah I know both almost mean the same thing, but you see the kanji plays a great role.
    If I had to go with just same meaning it would be like: 誠に真に実に寔に...ugh I can keep on writing more than 20 of these. Like seriously I just now found out that I have quite a lot of time for not killing.

9. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    This sounds like it could be made into a novel of it's own.

Random, elarch and ICe like this.
  10. Reugros14

Reading List:
    Link
    That is the official formal ones, which I believe you will never have to use unless you are talking to some beaurocrats or the PM of Japan or the King. Elsewhere, you just forget about this one...oh you can use this if you want to write a novel where MC or some char talks with the King of another world.

11. Punllarena

Punllarena A cheat Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Last boss?

12. f.m.

f.m. Great Unambitious Eccentric

Reading List:
    Link
    juz apologize n leave the author alone.... then find some other work... it is bes not piss off author.... they can be helluva scary....

13. GM_Rusaku

GM_Rusaku Neptune-sama's Devoted Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    It's already said on page 1, "Another World’s Savior ~ I Became Unparalleled by Using the Jet-Black Divine Equipment~"

14. Ababil

Ababil Non Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this :
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/a-wild-last-boss-appeared/
    remember?

15. Rexdaevid

Rexdaevid Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Admission of your error should be the first message, especially if you have already published a translation of the novel before asking for permission. Next, tell the author why you chose the said novel and why you decided to do translation. Finally, if you really want to translate his work then be sincere in asking for it again and tell him why you decided to ask for permission even after the fact that you are currently doing the translation.

Just be honest, if you have no malice and selfish motives in doing the translation then you can convince the author.

16. estelion

estelion Magna Cumlord

Reading List:
    Link
    Besides the last point, which I'll admit was an erroneous figure of speech (due to having slept 2 hours over the last 48 hours, and being up presently at 3AM to finish some assignments and cram for an exam), there are a lot of mistakes I could point out in your post.

For example, it being in their national character to be arrogant, when lots of studies over the last 70 years have focused on how their pride was pretty badly castrated.
    For example how the pacifism comes from enforced cultural changes following their post-war defeat, and far from your... delusions, for the most part, most of them prefer to avoid (even necessary) conflict to a fault.
    For example, how you seem to be ignoring the fact that the blatant militaristic/imperialist culture basically appeared in only a span of 20 years, and how a lot of the atrocities were basically superiors pushing through propaganda and orders for a lot of stressed conscripts to indulge themselves in violence.

Basically, you're only half right, and seem to be blinded by somewhat irrational hatred. And since background actually matters for these things, I should probably mention that I'm Chinese and Vietnamese, born in Australia, completed a major in Japanese cultural studies, and grew up hating Japanese people too (as well as Thai people for more recent historical slights on the people of one of my background nations).

But this isn't really the place to be arguing with you, and I literally have better things to do (or rather, I have to be doing) at this very moment, so I suppose this is goodbye.

Jaded, _Selutu_, moto and 2 others like this.
  17. Vrethalya

Vrethalya Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    hollycrap, that guy really is pissed...

hmm, it might be a bad idea to ask for permission after publishing the translation of his work
    wellp, since the milk has been spilled, you can only ask for forgiveness and will drop any trace of his work from your site
    you might want to add some sweet word, about how you love his work and decided to translate it for friend and close asociate.
    but since they love it, you got carried over and completely forgot to ask for his permission
    basically, try to skillfully put the blame on imaginary 3rd party who really love his work
    everyone would apreciate a modest and honest compliment (unless they are paranoid)
    but it all depend on how pridefull the author is
    chance are, he'll think it over and shrugingly let you translate his work (might as well put up some condition to it)
    or he would still forbade you from translating his work
    either way, it's still is a good idea to do so, since it wont hurt you, and showing him your good intention toward his work

and please, if he wont budge after 1 or 2 attempt, dont pursue it any further
    just drop it, and once again apologize, thank him for his time and work
    at least this much wouldnt left you with that much of a bad rep as a translator

on a side note, artist is a pridefull being
    it's not strange for them to be overprotective over their work
    especially their 1st work
    and no mater what, tampering with their work without their permission would really pissed them off

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    kenar and Daike1234 like this.
  18. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That pacifism is only really shown by them in person, if they're on the internet, they're still the same as 80 years ago. So for their novels, is completely the same as their past self, only in person do they look otherwise. May as well just post their stuff in china, they'd never give japan any help in dealing with their novels.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  19. Vrethalya

Vrethalya Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    aw, such hatred.
    but then again, OP might as well as wanted to maintain his reputation and credibility as a translator

after this, it would just be my personal rambling and opinion
    as a person of asian heritage (that is south east asian who is also a victim of said war), there not that much people that still hold their grudge against the japanese, british, portugese, and many other country that already put their hand into our country. even the war veteran i've personaly known already forgave them, and left it in the past.
    if you want to hold a grudge and blame them against their crime in WW2 event, at least they did it in order to prevail and survive the war.
    what about those country that monopolize other civilization for their personal gain?
    every big nation have that kind of dark past that they've admited
    and bringing someone's past mistake over and over, unless they did it again and again, would just shown how immature you really are.
    everybody hate that ex who kept on mentioning your past mistakes over and over in a completely unrelated argument

20. mrprince241

mrprince241 Cyborg Dinosaur

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh nice then i might as well steal One Piece and claim it as my work. I mean that Eiichiro Oda guy is a evil bastard obviously his grandfather teached him that they are immortals and they should massacre the world oh wait why stop there? Let's make a petition guys for every country to bomb Japan because from Darkanlans logic Japanese are evil spawns and their grand parents have teach them bad stuff. There is no innocent lives there so might as well kill them all. If i ever saw a Japanese baby i will blame him/her for the 50 million chinese people that Japan killed. Darkanlan nice logic dude you opened my eyes i will search for countries that have ancestors who did shitty stuff and they will be added in my death note list. Japanese babies don't blame me for being impolite.