I want to write

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by lighterxx, Oct 16, 2019.

1. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a very old story idea but,,, im not sure where to share or whether it would get attention or not...

2. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    Just in time for this link then:

https://www.nanowrimo.org

Someone else posted it on NUF and they deserve the credit. I'm just too lazy to go find out who OP. XD

3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can imagine the title being "The Hoshi Bible" and the blurb "Spreading the gospel of Hoshi".

Just kidding.

4. gheist1234

gheist1234 |Path Finder| 『WuxiaWworld Vet.』|Beardy| |Zen|

Reading List:
    Link
    You can also go to nuf's sister site, scribblehub.

Innieminnie, otaku31 and lighterxx like this.
  5. lighterxx

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh o.o thank you!!!! I completely forgot about this, it might be useful!!

omg that was gonna be my book's title!!! You are magician o.o

I can but T^T im worried no one will read it and it seriously makes me lose confidence...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2019
  6. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    As an older writer....I don't really care if many people read my stuff anymore, I'm more interested in writing something meaningful to leave behind for my loved ones. I've come full circle as I spent years having to write things for money. Now I only write for my personal joys/perversions. :cookie:

My advice to someone new is to practice often, get feedback (keep a thick skin cause you will hear hurtful things sometimes), make improvements, and do again....kinda. :blobangel:

I personally wrote for years just for myself...and it was my happiest time. In those days, I used pencil and paper. I would doodle in margins and day dream about my characters.... I still enjoy the act of actual writing my stories on paper and pencil, while having a coffee in a corner somewhere or a park ~

7. lighterxx

Reading List:
    Link
    that sounds beautiful T^T i dont know, i kind of see writing as a tool while see drawing as a chore, perhaphs thats why i am self conscious.

as an old writer, do you have any suggestions on how to start a story, everytime i try, i stumble and find it unbearable honestly

Innieminnie likes this.
  8. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    True story... When you writing most of time has spend on 70%day dream 10% writing and 20% on fixing gammar

9. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    Go back to basics. Try telling a fairy tale! Make up your own or retell a favourite tale. So as the story goes:

Once upon a time .......

orematcha, Bad Storm and lighterxx like this.
  10. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    *lols* By the time I care about grammar, I've already let Word or Excel have a go at it when I input my work. It helps that I can type 90wpm without looking at my keys. (^.^).

But then, by the time I take that step to make it electronic, I'm at my merciless, goddess of slashing and hacking for publishing stage. >_> I am like a righteously avenging asura.

Or I tell myself that. :cookie:

girisuherman and lighterxx like this.
  11. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    All I could say is write for yourself. And good luck.
    I got a collection of once upon a time stories. They're mostly random profile post spams xD

lighterxx and Femme Fatale like this.
  12. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    For me I always begin my story by explosion and intense gun fight then jump at real prologue of boring daily stuff... Most of my reader always hate prologue because that

lighterxx and Femme Fatale like this.
  13. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    That's you being fancy. :p

*lols* There is merit to being able to write a complete, sequential/predictable story first, like a fairy tale because It is a style we all know well. Why start with a difficult style when learning to flex your imagination muscles?

Also, Do you know how many stories I have made for my kids out of sure desperate necesity for them to go to sleep? ^.^ Or out of bribery and corruption. >_> Think 1001 Nights, only every night it was me and a recalcitrant toddler. O.O I got creative or we both got cranky.

Anyhow, the easier those stories get for you to write, the easier you will feel tackling other types of writing like a story or a composition or an essay.

14. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Here is some encouragement

15. lighterxx

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I cant say no to this

16. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    You can do it

lighterxx likes this.
  17. Relhak

Relhak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, as an aspiring author myself, I can say that writing is a craft. I spent hours reading tips, tricks, and guides on writing, but nothing beats jumping straight into it.

Here are some things I've learned as I wrote my novel;

1. Plan out your plot, characters, and setting. Try to start with the overall plot and work your way down. You don't have to plan every single detail, so start small.

2. Get writing! Seriously. I've spent countless hours writing and rewriting my first chapter. I think I've hit iteration 40 or so on my first chapters after numerous rewrites and edits. This is just how it goes. As you become better at writing, you'll go back and revisit your earlier chapters, and then you'll notice how much you've improved; thus you start rewriting the first chapter again, and again. But it all takes precedent in the fact that you have to start writing!

3. Get feedback. Share, and don't be afraid. Asking for feedback was my biggest hurdle. I tried to make everything perfect before I showed my work to anyone. My ego couldn't handle showing something, only to spot some errors later. I'd start fretting about my mistakes and thinking about it on days at an end. But once I got my feedback, it completely changed me. Feedback reaffirmed my ideas or gave me food for thought on what people had trouble understanding.

4. (Last one) Ask yourself, why are you writing? Who are you writing for? If you're writing to make money, my honest-to-God personal opinion is; Don't. Just don't. Authors rarely make money in the beginning, and if you want quality work, then you'll have to fork out thousands of dollars for editors, copyeditors, and so on. On the other hand, if you're writing because you have a story in your head, that will drive you insane if you don't get it out and onto paper, then I'd say, "Welcome to the club!"

PM when you have your first few chapters done, and you want some feedback :)

lighterxx likes this.
  18. lighterxx

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow... So much advice and idea at once T^T THANK YOU i wish to at least settle the first few chapters properly butni will definitely pm you themso you can take look afterwards o.o
    I think my biggest issue is, i know the story, i know characters, but first chapter .. i never know how to start the first one, thats why i tend to write smut oneshots

Its a literal come and go in them

19. Relhak

Relhak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I get stuck, I imagine the characters and what they're doing, and then I write what they're saying and doing. The trick is, keep writing. Don't stop. Even if you can't imagine anything, just write whatever comes to your mind. Remember; you can always edit later, the important thing is to get stuff down on paper (or Word).

lighterxx likes this.
  20. lighterxx

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe i should write on paper, or ipad or something, writing physically helps me sometimes o.o

Relhak likes this.