Movie If Starwars and Anime had a baby

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Okuri Ookami, Jul 21, 2018.

?

Have ya seen Lensmen

1. I've seen it

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. I've read the novels

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I've read the manga

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm a avid fan of all things Lensmen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Never heard of it

20 vote(s)
    80.0%
  6. Haven't heard of it but willing to check it out

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. I'll read a few reviews of the series or the Wiki page

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. I'll check a bit of it out

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. i have no plans of ever EVER getting involved with Lensmen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    And that baby was only 7 yrs younger than Starwars you'd get Lensmen anime movie which I just remembered was a thing. Its it's own series with tons of books and comics even having its own TV series all in 1984. But in actual fact its publication history is decades older than Starwars. It also might have maybe been the reason for DC's the Green lanterns maybe.

Have any of you all seen Lensmen? I was really young last time I watched it and just remember lots of flashy lights and a somewhat deep story that flew over my head (Kinda like Akira) when I watched it as a kid in the early 2ks.

If I remember right its not a blatant rip off of Starwars but I think I remember it being more techno punk? The MC had this like tech orb like lens thing on the back of his hand?

I'm just trying to promote this movie through my ramblings cause I randomly thought about it and decided to look it up and saw it was free to watch on YouTube. Not that I'ma watch it, I detest anything similar to Starwars cept Forced Unleashed's StarKiller and or Bobafet

It was a Western book series that last from 1939 to 1955 or something turned Manga turned Anime in the 1980s I think. I've done my half-assed research. It has the drawing style of the Captain Harlock series (not that I ever watched it).

Some fun facts credited from Wikipedia

In the DC Comics universe, the Green Lantern Corps bears many parallels to the Lensmen, though the original editor (Julius Schwartz) denied any connection. Later writers would add characters that directly referenced the Lensman series, such as the extraterrestrial Green Lanterns Arisia and Eddore.

[​IMG] Arisia

In 2008, Ron Howard's Imagine Entertainment and Universal Pictures began negotiations with the author's estate for rights to film the Lensman series. The negotiations were for an 18-month renewable option. At the WonderCon convention in San Francisco in February 2008, J. Michael Straczynski, the creator of Babylon 5, confirmed that Howard had acquired the rights and also hinted that he was involved in the project. On 17 June 2008, Straczynski wrote that he had begun work on the project. On 2 April 2014, Straczynski wrote that Universal had scrapped the project, citing excessive cost and that the rights had reverted to the estate.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  2. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Note I as OP don't like Starwars and or care much for DC and barely remember the Lensmen series so any similarities between the two as mentioned above I have no point of recollection as it has literally been a decade and a little more than a half since I've seen it.

3. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't like Star Wars!?
    [​IMG]

Black Frost likes this.
  4. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    You think everyone would like it...

eroxaz and Okuri Ookami like this.
  5. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I care not for the Empire or the Rebels both suck ass and have no place in the Galaxy. By all rights and Standards the founding member of the Rebels from my understanding was a member of the Empire that turned traitor and guess who that was? StarKiller's original self (I forget his name) and there is no mention of him in the main series (only his videogame series) to my understanding nor is it cannon to my understanding.

Never cared about it other than the standard cool stuff, the story-line has always been sub-par or overly complex where it could be dumbed down to a few sentences and actions... Darthvader is cool but his character fluctuates to much. The main staples of the series are barely shown anymore. The cast gets larger and larger but aren't developed enough for me and or shown as frequently so how could I care about them? I mean Starkiller and his predecessor only had 2 games but he was so badasss.

I don't even care if I'm wrong about it... thats how much I dislike Starwars, and I'm a person who loves to argue and win!

6. Lordnightowl

Lordnightowl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    chibi Vader *Luke, i am your father*
    chibi Luke *NNNOOOOOO*

I think he was screaming more because of his lost hand.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  7. sithkazar

sithkazar Professional Screw Up

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    chibi Luke *Vader I am your son
    chibi Vader *NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    chibi Leia *Vader I am your daughter
    chibi Vader *Eh?
    chibi Han Solo *Hello father (in law)
    chibi Vader *Noooo (so hard his voice box breaks)

I think he was screaming cause of his children excluding Kylo cause I didn't even know who that was

9. criticalmind

criticalmind Enter Chunni Name Here

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read anything except the title of the post, but I'm pretty sure that baby is Gundam

10. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, you might be right bout that though I don't care much bout Gundam either. Now Robotech, now thats a show!

11. Makuba

Makuba Wyrd bið ful aræd

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh... starwars good thing the video doesn't work

13. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm. . . then Jedi's will move like Kenshin Himura. . . and be name Jedi Samurai!!!

with it's fast phase fight scenes with not camera cut. . .

darn that would be epic

14. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Samurai X batosai meets Jedi? Uh I think warring states period would contradict the story line but what do I know. Now you've gone and made me think of that Live action kenshin movie.... Good thing I never watched it just the thought...

15. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not with the Disney version.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  16. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a lot of understandings you have there good sir!

I'm not sure where you are getting at though, so from what understand you somewhat like the movies, but dislike the expanded universe. Is that right?

And i played the games too, but did not like Starkiller all that much. Darth vader removed from the EU doesn't fluctuate at all. He is the same mouth breathing tyrant that he always was. And the cast of characters are not all that large to be honest, not counting the EU of course, only a few are main characters and are of vital importance to the OG narrative.

17. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope hate them entirely except the videogames with Starkiller and Boba, oh and the Sith... I like the spike head dude, AH I like the little green dude too, I mean who doesn't. I mean I haven't watched one since the early 2000s where ya see Anakin fall into a volcano and like 90% of his flesh charred. Then he comes DarthVader. I maybe liked the first movie and the 1900s version with the kid on the cover. I own an unopened 1st addition and or directors cut of the movie just. Unopened cause I don't care about the movie unsold cause I doubt anyone would buy it. Why I own it? Cause I knew a family owned movie store that went out of business.

If anything I like the expanded Universe better than the original. I find the main cast overrated and dislike the half-assed cameos that make it the talk of the internet when they appear for less than 30 seconds the entire movie. But even still I care not for the series regardless of prospectives.

18. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I know my knowledge is half baked so I want to make it abundantly clear (as I don't want super fans to attack me) that this is all knowledge I've passively accumulated and most importantly its may not be valid and full of wholes.