If these punks can do it so can I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    People say acting is difficult, but with recent evidence I beg to differ. Acting would be a piece of cake for me

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  2. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is, are you entertaining/popular enough to mess around like them?
    You either need the ability or the backing.

3. MrBugaw

MrBugaw Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, now I want to see the finished product...

Wujigege likes this.
  4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    acting is pretty easy. getting popular with people is tough. popular enough to the point where people want you to act in their movies.

Wujigege likes this.
  5. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Guys...you're ignoring the most obvious trait you need - looks!!! Forget talent, ability and backing, if you look good, you'll have tween fans enough to survive in the business for at least 5 years. Idol dramas rarely get talented actors, they just need eye-candy to sell their drama.

Tofu Cat, Chrono Vlad and Wujigege like this.
  6. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    Who needs looks when you have a lot of rich fanbase?

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are rich you can buy influencers to promote you and increase your popularity

Shah Rukh Khan was called ugly
    [​IMG]
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/enterta...h-khan-talks-success-and-having-two-left-feet
    https://medium.com/@Bollywoodirect/26-years-of-shah-rukh-khan-in-bollywood-26-06-1992-f5bccd9d53e0

8. MrBugaw

Reading List:
    Link
    Two words: Danny DeVito.

Wujigege likes this.
  9. ludagad

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you calling Danny DeVito talentless?? He also has memorable looks, suitable for comedy too. Kinda offensive to compare him to pretty boys who only have their (paid for) looks going for them.

Oh, for sure. It's well known in the Asian entertainment industry that you can buy followers. With a strong financial backing, you could be in business for a while. If you already come from money - great. If not, you still need looks to hook someone rich to back you. And Shah Rukh Khan was still popular looks-wise with women, even I know his name and I'm much younger and from Europe lol. I've noticed that aesthetic senses don't really align between different societies. How often I hear that Asian models are considered ugly in their original country.

But anyway, when we're talking about talentless temporarily popular actors and actresses (or idols), it's usually pretty boys and girls who get scouted on the street and lured into agencies to get used till they strike it rich or end up selling them off to some businessman/men (or they get depressed and disappear from the scene). It's better if the idol-wannabe comes from money, cause it's a dark industry otherwise. Consumers do prefer pretty faces, whether it's men or women, so it makes sense they're looking to cast eye-candy in dramas. Honestly, I rarely see pretty faces in more serious drama/movies where you have actual actors.

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    On Khan being ugly, he mentioned it in the BBC interview I linked to, he said that was what he was told and that was why he started with villain roles.

On pretty idols, after 10 years they all become good at acting usually
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Time_with_You
    [​IMG]

On coming from wealth, there is a question I always wanted to ask an astute Asian,
    WHO THE HELL IS SHE?
    https://mydramalist.com/people/5205-jing-tian
    She just came out of nowhere lol.
    I read a lot of gossip on how she might be a daughter of the owner of Wanda group or some Chinese government official
    Even Yang Mi cannot start star in a Bollywood Hollywood movie but she has already starred in a few
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  11. ludagad

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I can't say she's pretty, but she's not ugly either. Maybe the usual plastic surgery faces have skewed my perception a bit lol. She looks more natural. Looks to have a good body. There can be one of three answers really. One, she was lucky, found a good agency to give her resources, and got good roles that made her popular. Two, she comes from a rich family that gives her resources. Three, she has a rich anonymous backer who invests in her movies and pushes her through. I don't wanna start gossiping without knowing anything, so I'll go with the first one until proven wrong. And then, even if it's any of the other three, I don't really care. If I like it, I watch it and that's that.

I admit I usually don't open links to read xD;;. Maybe I'll do if I have time and am interested in the topic, but in this case, I'm more apathetic about celebrities, so I don't care to read up. Don't mean to be dismissive. :sushi_dead:

12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Its fine. The issue with Jing Tian, is that she basically debuted in Hollywood and one big budget movie after another.
    She seemingly came out of nowhere unlike others who debut with supporting roles, it was main roles galore

13. MrBugaw

Reading List:
    Link
    Settle down, Tex. I point to an actor that became popular despite not having looks and you think I'm insulting the man? So quick to take offense...

Wujigege likes this.
  14. ludagad

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess you can't tell a joking tone without emojis, so my bad if you thought I was in attack mode. Honestly, I just thought your example was out of context since I was talking about idol dramas, which Dani DeVito isn't known for lol. And the type of 'actors' that get cast for these dramas tend to be chosen only based on looks. I was responding to the original post (the video) and that was the context. So I didn't get offended by your example, I thought it was funny and wanted to joke about it.

Anyway, as long as actors have any talent and are good at something, they won't need to count on looks. He's a good example, as well as a lot of other actors in Hollywood. The idol-based entertainment industry in Asia is a bit different.

Wujigege likes this.
  15. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if the character was established as White/Black/Asian/Native American and/or a specific ethnicity, it is smart to have a member of said ethnicity or similar ethnicity to play said character. Now, voice acting has a lot more leeway.

Wujigege likes this.