LCD Instant Death

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Saku, May 28, 2017.

1. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't find it really good right now (chapter 10), the MC isn't interresting (no motive, no charisma, kirito/hajime-like peerlessness.. a boring character to sum it up), the tsukomi big boobed girl is as cliche and hollow as she could be for now (seems to be here only for boobs, tsukomi and follow mindlessly the MC while commenting any of his action) and the opponents were all obnoxious "xianxia type" bad guys or girls (lazyly writen vilains, evil because they are written to be evil, or turned into survivalist sociopaths 5 minutes after the start of the death game...).
    The weight of death is really low from the start, and the first chapters throw you a lot of named characters that are killed of screen, or right after their introduction as evil vilains or useless meat bags.

For the moment I don't really see any reason to compare this sloppy low tension transmigrated death game story with Dungeon Defense or Overlord (especially on the level of writing, story's depth, suspense or the interest of the cast of protagonists and antagonists... ).

As it is just the start I won't post any review of it yet but for the moment the review that the translator posted overhype it quite a lot... Let's hope it's gets better later.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    keklel and Saku like this.
  2. Saku

Saku Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed on the low weight of death and cliched villains, but Yogiri had me interested as a character from the start, personal preference maybe. The lack of Tomochika's remarks on Yogiri's conduct is gone into detail on later, as somewhat hinted at.

All I can say about the hype ist that, as you mentioned, it's still early into the story. The chapters are relatively short so it may feel less progressed than it should be for ten chapters.

Still feeling confident about my comparisons to Overlord and well-known scenes of other novels, appreciate your patience.

FranckOA likes this.
  3. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's funny, and that's about it. There's nothing interesting about it besides. Nothing interesting about the MC's character other than that he starts playing video games right after he gets transported to another world and his coach gets attacked by a fucking dragon. Ridiculous.

4. Saku

Saku Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Obviously to each their own, but this is pretty obscure to me. Do you consider the mystery around the MC's power uninteresting? It's the power of literal instant death, pretty significant, and even the ones in charge of the fantasy world don't know what to think of it. There's also the whole business with invaders and angels from different dimensions, I can't think of an anticlimactic way to settle that. (apologies for the spoilers if you aren't up to date)

I remember that what got me hooked was speculating how Yogiri's first encounter with a sage might turn out, like it could either end in the sages being outside his sphere of influence, which would force the author to explain more of his power and not use it as an unquestioned cart to keep riding on for his overpowered isekai story; or it could end in Yogiri really standing above the sages, which would make their reaction to that realization pretty hype. And that's, like, the worst case scenario of possible developments, with nothing else happening in the meantime.
    But yeah, you couldn't call Yogiri flashy, very true.

5. miosh

miosh Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have read ahead about 8 chapters not noticed that the story is not so simple, the plot is becoming more complex which makes it more interesting, the most important is the explanation of why the 4 were supposedly not given a power by wise Crazy that I summon them, I believe that the mc has already visited other worlds not in which it is currently or is a reincarnation of a person of that world

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  6. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're right that different people find different things interesting. What I really look in a novel for is good characterization, i.e that characters have a realistic personality and act consistently. For me, special powers are really the icing on the cake.

If it's a novel primarily revolving around the use of powers, then the battles had better be damned interesting. In this novel, which so far has been primarily been about powers, the battles are pretty much as boring as you can make them. Every single battle is over with the MC saying "die". And what else is there?

Re: speculation about whether he's stronger than sages or not. Is this really interesting? Either his power works on them or it doesn't. Either outcome is very boring - either nothing happens or they get insta-killed. There is literally no skill involved in his battles at all. In this world, the outcomes of battles are decided by powerlevel alone, it seems.

I think a good comparison to make is with MC hides his strength. In MC hides his strength, the MC is strong, but not to the level of being above everything. In addition, he has to use his wits to stay undetected, since his plan would be foiled otherwise. From the very start we have a clear motive - to learn magic to defeat the demon king. In 10 chapters of this story, what is actually the MC's motive? Furthermore, what is the reason for his existence?

A novel with no reason for the MC to be there, the MC has no motives other than to just walk around and explore. It's a slice of life, and I don't like those. But I can understand why other people might like it.

Saku and NekoMK2 like this.
  7. Saku

Saku Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >If it's a novel primarily revolving around the use of powers, then the battles had better be damned interesting.

This is probably where our opinions split; I don't think characters' powers' purpose in the plot has to be limited to combat. How about physically weak people that can teleport and use that ability to lead an elaborate information network without risking their life?, or people with no inherent strength but the ability to hypnotize people into being their servants and that way first gather a gang, then an army and finally a kingdom, without ever taking action in wars themselves?, or people with the ability to gain an answer to any concise, answerable yes/no-question, that way excerting major influence in politics, but with a benevolent ultimate goal?; all of these sound interesting enough to be their own story to me, yet none of them rely on battles.
    But I can see why Instant Death would be a letdown from an action standpoint. Obviously there are "actual" fights between characters other than Yogiri, but, as you said, Yogiri himself either wins instantly or not at all.

>In 10 chapters of this story, what is actually the MC's motive? Furthermore, what is the reason for his existence?

I think chapter 8 sets the tone there fairly well, specifically "Right now the highest priority was adapting to the new world and surviving, but the ultimate goal was to return to earth," and later, "'I wonder if we can also get back by defeating some demon lord? Well, guess we've got no choice but to ask the sage that summoned us about that.'"
    Right now their goal is to meet Shion, in order to return to earth. It's a broad goal, but I think it's comparable to learning magic in order to defeat the demon king.

8. randi

randi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like mystery behind MC and heroine. The world itself is ridiculous, letting JP people invading their world, that's fun. Oh yeah, I want to know the back story of MC as well.

Dakara, can you spoile me which chapter that mystery reveal to surface?

9. Saku

Saku Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe chapter 38 is the first time Yogiri's backstory is elaborated on, but it's pretty vague. 58, 59 and 60 then go into some more detail.

randi likes this.
  10. randi

randi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh you my savior, should i use MTL to read chapter ahead? I kinda curious~

11. Nyeko

Nyeko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find it interesting that in the short while that this novel has been translated, it has more discussion than some other novels... I look forward to the backstory chapies...

12. Nyeko

Nyeko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    New dead body or new harem member! Place your bets now!

13. Agame

Agame The Prinny Of Questionable Tastes

Reading List:
    Link
    And the results are in folks!
    The lottery has revealed that there is indeed a new dead body! Too bad folks who betted on new harem member!

14. Nyeko

Nyeko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant for the new female knight.

15. Einy

Einy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dead body, she seems like a douchebag for just watching from the start.

16. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not certain yet, it might still be a tie!

17. Anikiman

Anikiman Sloth From The Land Of Silver

Reading List:
    Link
    Now this a new level of cliffhanger! Not only do we have to wait for what happens next but we also have to wait to know who won this discussion!

elengee likes this.
  18. Anikiman

Anikiman Sloth From The Land Of Silver

Reading List:
    Link
    The revised results are in! New harem member supporters have lost the bet! New dead body people can now fully rejoice on their victory!

19. Saku

Saku Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Second act done, time to update the kill count:
    Humans: 5
    Beastkin: 10
    Dragons: 1

Still countable

20. Dragon God Orstellen

Dragon God Orstellen Well-Known Member

Reading List: