Recommendations Interesting non-cliche novel.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by slimeholder, Jun 2, 2020.

1. slimeholder

slimeholder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey,

Which novel would you say kept you invested the most? I've read hundreds of novels and I am at a point where I can't find an interesting non-cliche novel. I am tired of the same dim-witted protagonists in Japanese novels, and the same slow cultivation tropes in Chinese novels (MC gets reincarnated into a sect or smth and then takes 1000 chapters taking to people while slowly gathering cultivation stones or whatever...).

I don't have any other requirements, I just want the novel to be interesting and the MC not being a warrior of justice or a beta weakling.

Thanks!

Cosmic_ and pkhyber like this.
  2. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    pkhyber and slimeholder like this.
  3. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    slimeholder likes this.
  4. Das

Das Lazing around Devil's Luck

Reading List:
    Link
    Bastil and slimeholder like this.
  5. slimeholder

slimeholder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, everyone!

6. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
  7. AbrarMalik

AbrarMalik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any Grumpy Crab(author) novels like Please Confess to Me
    2) Crazy Detective and Reincarnated as a cop that striked rich (don’t remember the exact name)
    3) Not a novel but a manhwa,
    Legend of the Northern Blade

8. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Bastil

Bastil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some of the more recently interesting ones have already been mentioned here... For me, some of the betters ones have been, in sequence by category:

The Highly Recommended:
    There Is No Epic Loot here, Only Puns: Pure gold, the quintessential dungeon core story written with an incredibly Terry Pratchett tone. Highly original and endearing in terms of dungeon core stories, and the worldbuilding takes High Fantasy settings to its logical and hilarious extreme.

Mother of Learning: The single finest self-contained fantasy time-travel story I've ever read. Internally consistent, well thought out, with a hint of horror if you think about and empathize too much.

Praise the Orc!: Damn fine take on the 'Is this really a game?' trope of video game/isekai stories. One of the best even. Protag IS a warrior of justice, but it's so ham-fisted that it's charming. Also less justice, more honor.

He Who Fights with Monsters: Very interesting and original fantasy setting, strong (in terms of characterization) protagonist, and volume 1 (24X fairly lengthy chapters) has just about finished.

God of Cooking: Diabetes overload. Too cute, character interactions are just generally fun to read, even if they seem a bit... Staged, at times. Recipes also sound pretty good, on the whole. But goddamn that romance.

Konosuba: One of very few LN's that have actually made me laugh out loud with some consistency, and the only one that managed that WHILE also being a worthwhile story. Bakatest is the other one, but that's basically brain bleach.

The competent AND interesting:
    The Storm King: Normal fantasy revenge story, with a magic system that blends cultivation standards with western spellcasting. Stands out for basic competency.

The Simulacrum : A deconstruction of shounen high school anime, with a wonderful OTT in my personal opinion. Highly self-aware, but still a proper story. Author being bad at coping with bad reviews would be my biggest gripe with this one.

The New World: Skynet on an intergalactic scale decides to include Earth in its network to protect against practically Warhammer40k Chaos. Protag becomes a literal destroyer of worlds, from the looks of things so far, yet never seems invincible. Interesting worldbuilding, consistent worldbuilding, and interesting characters.

World of Cultivation: The only Wuxia/Xianxia I've properly enjoyed. Relatively short, but contains a full story in a pretty unique setting for the genre, with a pretty unique protag. Not a perfect story by any means, but as far as this genre goes, pretty good.

The newly interesting:
    Seaborn : A pretty new, but highly interesting take on game-mechanic-like worlds, where your status screen is practically your resume. Also follows a sailor, which is refreshing. Only two dozen chapters in though.

The Humble Life of a Skill Trainer: Also kinda new. Follows a similar vein as in, Skills are well-known normal things. In this case, following someone whose literal job is teaching skills, in a world where guilds would much prefer to restrict skill acquisition to themselves. Interesting in terms of worldbuilding.

Delve: Competent 'system' sword&sorc isekai with a highly unorthodox powerset. Caution: May contain copious amounts of math.

Castle Kingside: Dark low fantasy isekai with a surgeon for a protag. Interesting story, but hasn't really gotten anywhere yet.

Blue Core: Interesting dungeon core story, though it does contain smut as a component of some aspect of the plot progression. About 8 chapters of dungeon smut, marked with 'explicit' in the title. Protag is a good-natured dungeon core, and the first real arc basically finished recently at about 13x chapters in.

The vaguely interesting:
    Apotheosis of a demon: Highly interesting story, but a bit... Out there. Very good, don't get me wrong, but the premise is a bit hard to buy into for me.

Tsuki Ga Michibiku: Isekai with a genuinely sociopathic-but-unaware-of-said-sociopathy protag who does believe in normal morals, making his way towards the power of practically godhood by accident, without any of the self-awareness or intelligence to cope with said power and authority. It's genuinely interesting to see how a typical, unintelligent teenager would cope with being isekai'd, exiled before meeting anyone, and gaining ungodly power in the process. In recent chapters protag also seems to lose the typical beta-herbivore-ness of jap protags, which is a plus imo. Writing is... poor though. Kinda all over the place. I like it, but it's hard to properly reccommend.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Cosmic_ likes this.
  10. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Das

Das Lazing around Devil's Luck

Reading List:
    Link
    I've got ebooks I can share for those last two. And both are worth the read. Let me know if you want them. I'll be out of town for at least a week so if you do I'll send them when I get back

12. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. k1llsh0t_87

k1llsh0t_87 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rebirth of the Urban Immortal Cultivator it's a second chance novel where mc reached the peak of the universe then trying to break through succumbed to heart demons from back when he was still a mortal and when he woke up he was back to being a mortal so he goes around dominating everyone and due to this taking place in modern earth there are no large sects or young masters and its mainly just face slapping and mc looking down on everyone due to the fact no one can stop him

14. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't TTC dropped by translators than hiatus?

15. k1llsh0t_87

Reading List:
    Link
    The raws are in hiatus somewhere around chapter 1200 but the translations are at chapter 500 and are doing 2 a day consistently so hopefully by the time tls catch up raws will be off hiatus but I got no clue

16. animefan217

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw MTL in the 1800+ range and didnt they stop with the translation cause I haven't seen past 547 anywhere thats not a MTL.

17. k1llsh0t_87

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh i guess i got the amount of chapters in raws wrong but no they haven't stopped translating as I have been reading the new translations daily since they were on chapter 40 and its been pretty consistent as just this morning i read chapter 581 and 582

18. animefan217

Reading List:
    Link
    Where you reading it, is it a MTL/bd translation?

19. bitsow

bitsow Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  20. animefan217

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you PM me the link?